Liscense/Birth Certificate Issue

jmjpro

I hope someone can help me because Carnival is not sure of the answer and told me to contact immagration and I cant get through to talk to them.

We are cruising next month out of Tampa. We are bringing our 17 year old daughter with us. Her birth Certificate has a hyphenated (Jane Smith-Jones) last name but she has never gone by that last name, she just uses one of them (Jane Smith)

Her Driver Liscense is also only in that same name (Jane Smith). I booked her cruise in that same name.

She will not be cruising with a passport but with her birth certificate that has the double last name and her liscense that has only one.

What document does the booking need to match? Can it just match the drivers liscense because that is her picture ID and what we would prefer?

Her cruise docs and picture id (license) need to match. She will be fine. And I must say it irks me when this is all in print at Carnival and their reps don't know the answer......

Can you tell me where to find that in print from carnival? I just got off the phone with another carnival rep and was told that it has to match the birth certificate and not the pictured ID. If that is the case, I was told that I would have to pay a $50 name change fee to add the additional last name.

I explained that her picture ID has the name as it appears on the booking and she said that it did not matter, it must match the birth certificate. I dont understand that. If I was traveling without a passport my birth certificate would have a different last name as I have been married for 18 years.

I am just so confused.

Can you tell me where to find that in print from carnival? I just got off the phone with another carnival rep and was told that it has to match the birth certificate and not the pictured ID. If that is the case, I was told that I would have to pay a $50 name change fee to add the additional last name.

I explained that her picture ID has the name as it appears on the booking and she said that it did not matter, it must match the birth certificate. I dont understand that. If I was traveling without a passport my birth certificate would have a different last name as I have been married for 18 years.

I am just so confused.

Impossible. If that were so, every married woman that changed her name would never be able to get on a ship.

The birth certificate shows american citizen. A US state issued photo id links that birth certificate with a name change.

Your cruise documents should be in the name of what is on the drivers license.

I call BS on the rep saying you need to pay extra for a name change!!! If they continue to tell you that, go up the chain to a supervisor. As you may be experiencing.....call Carnival 5 times and get 5 different answers.:rolleyes:

This is exactly what I am experiencing. I have talked to two people. One told me you SHOULD be okay. Should??? What is carnival goingt o tell me if they deny my daughters boarding? Well, we THOUGHT you would be okay, Sorry.

The second is telling me that it does not mater what your picture ID says, it needs to match your Birth Certificate. Then why do I need her Drivers License/photo ID? Anyone can travel with a certified Birth Certificate claiming that it is them.

I am so confused and cant find the right answer.

Just say she's married, and went from Smith-Jones to Smith. :)

I am kidding,,, but, yes that would mean that every married woman would have to cruise in their maiden name.

I would basically not bring attention to it when you check in. If they want to cause a problem they will, but personally I'd just put your documents on the counter and let them have at it.

This is exactly what I am experiencing. I have talked to two people. One told me you SHOULD be okay. Should??? What is carnival goingt o tell me if they deny my daughters boarding? Well, we THOUGHT you would be okay, Sorry.

The second is telling me that it does not mater what your picture ID says, it needs to match your Birth Certificate. Then why do I need her Drivers License/photo ID? Anyone can travel with a certified Birth Certificate claiming that it is them.

I am so confused and cant find the right answer.

Your picture id (license) has to match your cruise docs. Your picture id proves that you are that person listed on the docs......a birth certificate is nothing more than proof of citizenship....it cannot be used as an id.

Just say she's married, and went from Smith-Jones to Smith. :)

I am kidding,,, but, yes that would mean that every married woman would have to cruise in their maiden name.

I would basically not bring attention to it when you check in. If they want to cause a problem they will, but personally I'd just put your documents on the counter and let them have at it.

in that case they ask for a marriage license."usually"

Bill

Can you tell me where to find that in print from carnival? .

Hi jmj, I copied this for you from the "FAQ" page of the Carnival site. I know it has a great deal of superfluous information, but I wanted you to have it all. The first paragraph notes that nothing Carnival reps state on the phone matters anyway. Here is travel doc info in entirety:

What is the required travel documentation for all ports? TRAVEL DOCUMENTATION - ALL PORTS

Proper travel documentation is required at embarkation and throughout the cruise. Even though a guest has completed registration using FUNPASS, it is still the responsibility of the guest to bring all required travel documents. Guest should check with their travel agent and/or government authority to determine the travel documents necessary for each port of call. Any guest without proper documents will not be allowed to board the vessel and no refund of the cruise fare will be issued. Carnival assumes no responsibility for advising guests of proper travel documentation.

CRUISE TRAVEL

U.S. Citizens

Carnival highly recommends all guests travel with a passport (valid for at least six months beyond completion of travel). Although a passport is not required for U.S. citizens taking cruises that begin & end in the same U.S. port, travelling with a passport enhances your disembarkation experience, as delays may be expected upon your return to the U.S. if you do not have one. Additionally, passports make it easier for you to fly from the U.S. to a foreign port should you miss your scheduled port of embarkation, or need to fly back to the U.S. for emergency reasons.

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) allows U.S. citizens (including children) sailing on cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port to travel with one of the following WHTI compliant document:

• Valid U.S. Passport
  • Passport Card
  • Original or suitable quality copy of a Birth Certificate (Issued by the department of vital statistics)
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card, e.g., Nexus Card, Sentri Card or Fast Card
  • Enhanced Tribal Card
  • A Consular Report of Birth Abroad
  • Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)

Note: Enhanced Driver's Licenses can be used as proof of citizenship at land and sea ports of entry. However, it cannot be used to travel by air outside the United States.

There are currently four U.S. states and four Canadian provinces producing EDLs:

Michigan

New York

Vermont

Washington

British Columbia

Manitoba

Ontario

Quebec

A government-issued photo ID is also required for all guests, including children 16 and over. For a complete list of WHTI-compliant documents Click Here

*If you need to obtain a passport quickly, Carnival recommends that you contact ZVS at http://www.zvs.com/carnival or by phone: 1-866-788-1100. Callers should mention that they are sailing on Carnival to receive discounted service fees.

Important: Baptismal and Hospital Certificates, copies of U.S. Passports and Naturalization papers, are not WHTI compliant documents, therefore, NOT acceptable.

Birth certificates from Puerto Rico issued prior to July 1, 2010 are not valid forms of proof of citizenship that is accepted by U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Guests from Puerto Rico either need to present a WHTI-complaint document or a government-issued photo identification with a validated birth certificate issued after July 1, 2010.

To debark for more than 24 hours in Mexico, guests must have obtained a Mexican Tourist Card from either a travel agent or a Mexican consulate prior to their departure.

When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original, signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico.

Sailings from Canada or to Canadian Ports of Call

U.S. Citizens require a valid passport or WHTI compliant documents.

Europe, Hawaii and Transatlantic Cruises

U.S. citizens must have a valid passport.

U.S. Alien Residents and Non-U.S. Citizens

U.S. Alien Residents require a valid Alien Resident Card and/or passport (depending on itinerary) to travel on all Carnival cruises. Non-U.S. citizens require a valid machine readable passport and a valid, unexpired U.S. Multiple Re-entry Visa, if applicable, to travel on all Carnival cruises. Guests are advised to check with their travel agent or appropriate government authority to determine the necessary documents, including a Schengen/ or Croatian Visa necessary for European cruises.

On occasion, non-U.S. citizens and U.S. Alien Residents may be asked to surrender their passport and/or Alien Resident Card at time of embarkation. These documents will be returned upon completion of the Immigration inspection at the time of debarkation. Non-U.S. citizens that are eligible to apply for admission under the Visa Waiver Pilot Program, must still have a valid unexpired passport. U.S. State Department regulations require all guests traveling from visa-waiver countries be in possession of a machine-readable passport that includes a biometric identifier - e.g., embedded digital photograph. Otherwise, guests will be required to obtain a U.S. Multiple Re-entry Visa. Guests without proper identification may be refused boarding or entry into the United States.

Multiple-Entry Schengen Visa Requirements

During your Mediterranean or Transatlantic voyage, you will be visiting various countries such as Spain, France, Italy, Portugal and Croatia. Specific countries will vary depending on the voyage you have chosen. Some of these countries are members of the Schengen Agreement. Countries participating in the Schengen Agreement are listed below. Because the ship may be departing and re-entering countries which participate in the Schengen Agreement, certain nationalities will be required to obtain a Multiple-Entry Schengen Visa (for at least two entries) prior to joining the ship. A Multiple-Entry Schengen Visa may be required if your passport has been issued by a country other than the United States, Canada or European Community.

Visa requirements vary depending on the passport under which you are traveling and the countries being visited. Guests traveling under non-U.S., non-Canadian and non-European passports must check with the Consulate of every country visited during the cruise for specific Visa requirements. When contacting the Consulate for the country being visited, be sure to provide the complete itinerary of the cruise so the Consulate can provide the correct information as your Schengen Visa requirements. Guests may also contact a Visa service agency in their country for assistance.

If a Schengen Visa is required for your nationality and you are not in possession of this Visa when departing for the cruise, you may be denied boarding OR, in a Schengen Agreement port the local authorities may detain you on board the ship and assess a fee.

SCHENGEN VISA: Summary

1. There are now 25 countries that are part of the Schengen Agreement: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, France, (including Monaco), Finland, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

2. Currently, U.S., Canadian, and European Community passport holders do not require a Schengen Visa.

3. If a non-Schengen country is visited in between visits to Schengen countries, a Multiple-Entry Schengen Visa will be required.

4. Guests must show proof of medical insurance coverage of at least U.S. $37,500 in order to obtain a Multiple-Entry Schengen Visa. Additionally, this proof of medical insurance coverage is also required when entering a Schengen Visa country.

5. The following are a few types of nationalities requiring a Multiple-Entry Schengen Visa: citizens of Russia, Trinidad & Tobago, Colombia, China, Morocco, Hong Kong, Philippines, and Turkey. Please contact the consulates for a complete list.

AIR TRAVEL

Passports are required for air travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central America, the Caribbean, the Bahamas and Bermuda. This will impact all guests traveling by air to embark or debark in Vancouver for our Alaska or Hawaii cruises; and our Canadian guests that travel by air to or from any of our U.S. embarkation ports. This will also enable guests to fly from the U.S. to meet their ship at the first port should they miss their scheduled embarkation and allow guests that must debark the ship before their cruise ends to fly back to the U.S without significant delays and complications.

Guest names on travel documents (passport, Alien Resident Card, birth certificate, etc.) must be identical to those on the cruise and airline tickets. Otherwise, proof of name change (e.g., a marriage license) or a valid driver's license (or other government-issued photo ID) must be presented.

Impossible. If that were so, every married woman that changed her name would never be able to get on a ship.

Married women who have a non matching last name are asked to bring their marriage certificate to verify the name change.

Oh I thought you quoted harlekuin who was talking about birth certificates.......

I am but he said that was impossible it no married woman would be able to get on which is why i mentioned the marriage certificate.

I may not be communicating what I am trying to say correctly! Happens sometimes...

Why not? Makes things a lot easier.

DON

Maybe some people cant afford the luxury of a passport, maybe it is a last minute booking and they didn't have time to get one. No matter what its not your business to ask.

I am but he said that was impossible it no married woman would be able to get on which is why i mentioned the marriage certificate.

I may not be communicating what I am trying to say correctly! Happens sometimes...

All women have their maiden name on their birth certs. As long as your cruise docs match your picture id you don't need a marriage cert........the only time you would need a marriage cert is if you booked in your maiden name and your license is in your married name......or vise verse....has nothing to do with your birth certificate.....

Maybe they have been re married and have a different name on their DL than their BC

The marriage certificate would be needed if someone booked in the married name for a honeymoon cruise before realizing that they would'nt have their name changed yet.... lots of scenarios...

Maybe they have been re married and have a different name on their DL than their BC

The marriage certificate would be needed if someone booked in the married name for a honeymoon cruise before realizing that they would'nt have their name changed yet.... lots of scenarios...

Only if the cruise docs and photo id/passport are in different names........it has nothing to do with the birth certificate.........

I hope someone can help me because Carnival is not sure of the answer and told me to contact immagration and I cant get through to talk to them.

We are cruising next month out of Tampa. We are bringing our 17 year old daughter with us. Her birth Certificate has a hyphenated (Jane Smith-Jones) last name but she has never gone by that last name, she just uses one of them (Jane Smith)

Her Driver Liscense is also only in that same name (Jane Smith). I booked her cruise in that same name.

She will not be cruising with a passport but with her birth certificate that has the double last name and her liscense that has only one.

What document does the booking need to match? Can it just match the drivers liscense because that is her picture ID and what we would prefer?

OP CALL CBP Customer service 877-227-5511

I must say I am rather surprised your DD has not had a problem before now.

My niece has a hyphenated last name and only used the last portion until her mother moved and she had to change states the new school insisted they could not find her past records. The reason being was she was registered at old school with only half her last name. The same thing occurred when she went for DL. She had to have her FULL hyphenated last name on it because that is her legal name from BC.

Archived