What a non drinker thinks of the new 2.0 changes

marshhawk

No one chooses to be an alcoholic. Sorry, but can't let that one go.

Sure no one wakes up and says "I think I'll be an alcoholic today." But, no one with lung cancer chooses that, but 50 years of smoking will do it. No one who is morbidly obese chooses that, but no self control with food will do it. Alcoholism may not be a "choice" but it is a direct result of poor choices along life's journey.

No one chooses to be an alcoholic. Sorry, but can't let that one go.

I'm sorry but people choose to drink in excess or not they choose to let alcohol take over their lives. You do choose wether to allow yourself to lose controll. Sorry, it is your opinion and I have mine.

They are NOT turning the library into a bar. They have a dispenser for wine tasting only. You will still be able to go to the library with your family and relax. I really don't think the party animals will want to go to the library to sip a little bit of wine. I think you will be safe.

Actually this is NOT true. They are turning the library into a bar.

My last comment on this thread that has gone waaaaaaaaaay off topic:

Alcoholism is a disease, not a choice. You can never touch a drop and still be an alcoholic, you can drink to excess very single day of your life and not be an alcoholic.

Now back to important things like chair hogging and dress codes!:p

They are NOT turning the library into a bar. They have a dispenser for wine tasting only. You will still be able to go to the library with your family and relax. I really don't think the party animals will want to go to the library to sip a little bit of wine. I think you will be safe.

Actually.... from carnivals 2.0 site

For relaxing times, check out the Library Bar, where great literature doesn't stop at the wine list. This intimate cocktail lounge features not only state-of-the-art self-serve wine dispensers, but bartenders who mix a good drink, a selection of board games for a good time… and even books adorning the walls for a good read.

For relaxing times, check out the Library Bar, where great literature doesn't stop at the wine list. This intimate cocktail lounge features not only state-of-the-art self-serve wine dispensers, but bartenders who mix a good drink, a selection of board games for a good time… and even books adorning the walls for a good read.

It also looks more like a game room than library in the pictures......

You are correct I digress. I still do not think that it will be somewhere that the party people will go to have a good time. I would not mind having a wine or cognac whilst playing chess or reading a good book.

I'm sorry but people choose to drink in excess or not they choose to let alcohol take over their lives. You do choose wether to allow yourself to lose controll. Sorry, it is your opinion and I have mine.

It's a choice to drink but it is the addiction that takes over not your choice........

Alcoholism is a disease, not a choice. You can never touch a drop and still be an alcoholic, you can drink to excess very single day of your life and not be an alcoholic.

Cancer is a disease that you don't ask for, when you drink you choose to you don't choose cancer. Don't get me going on this PLEASE!!!

There's no need to bash the OP for voicing her opinion. Isn't that what Cruise Critic is for, to voice our opinions? I thought it was.

I get the point the OP was trying to make. I don't totally agree with everything she said, but let's face it - the last thing any of the ships need is another bar. Or a wine dispenser in the library. Really, a wine dispenser? In the library?? Surely there's a better location if they insist on something like that.

And I'm not all that excited about George Lopez being in charge of the comedy. His own show was recently cancelled, so if he was all so funny in the first place perhaps he'd still be doing his own show. I'd rather see a good production show over some tepid comedians. That's my preference.

Let me also point out that not so long ago, many people here on CC were decrying the fact that Carnival was cutting back on live entertainment on the ships. But now that DJ Irie (who?) is "training" DJ's for the ship, nobody makes a peep??

She's right. You can package mediocrity in a fancy press conference, but it's still mediocrity. As much as I like Carnival, and will sail with them again, there's still bound to be some new changes that aren't for the better and will be disappointing. We might have to accept it, but we don't have to like it.

Very well said...thank you.

Well said marshhawk!! All I see is more nickle and diming. Some of the changes are good. But who wants to hear a comedian while eating? Did Carnival send their employees to a HM class for when someone chokes on their food? Now they have to hire more employess to man these places. Which in turn makes the price go up. Someones going to be mad when they take out Fish and Chips in the Liberty to make room. Now you can drink in the Library!! From some other peoples posts. Reading and alcohol go great together!! Guess you cant get drunk on wine???? The only thing Carnival is looking at is making more money so they add 6 more bars!!! Then there is George Lopez. UUUgggghhhh........

The fares have already gone up. ON Sunday I talked the inlaws into doing a cruise with us in Dec. (We booked ES months ago.) We looked at the rates on Sunday. She called this AM to tell me to book it, it has gone up in price by $75. So much for any OBC from ES drops.

I'm a nondrinker and like the changes. Go figure. I think the burger and Mexican food thing are neat additions.

Are the Hasbro Games not "family friendly" enough for you?

someone better plot the offered fares to see how they conceal the free "premium" burgers.

Addiction is a disorder not a freakin disease. Cancer is a disease, do not lump my family members who died of this horrific disease to those who drink by there choice.

It's a proven fact it's a disease whether you want to believe it or not.......and save it with the cancer victims......I have more than you can imagine in my family also......and I never said drinking was not a choice now did I?

Virtually every reliable resource including the Mayo Clinic and Johns Hopkins University define alcoholism as a progressive disease.

My life too has been touched by cancer,and its effects are terrible. But that does not change that alcoholism too is a disease.

It's a proven fact it's a disease whether you want to believe it or not.......and save it with the cancer victims......I have more than you can imagine in my family also......and I never said drinking was not a choice now did I?

Who in the hell do you think you are telling me to save it on the cancer victims? Obviously, I will get know where with you and I don't care too. Keep going with your disease theory I will continue with my it is a choice and disorder knowledge. But let me leave you with this, you choose to pick up that bottle and wash it down your throat. I did not choose to pick up my disease and drink it or injest it. Period. Therre is a HUGE difference. People like to call it a disease because it makes them feel better about it. Hey I stole from my Mom because I have a disease and I needed my fix. Yeah OK

Who in the hell do you think you are telling me to save it on the cancer victims? Obviously, I will get know where with you and I don't care too. Keep going with your disease theory I will continue with my it is a choice and disorder knowledge. But let me leave you with this, you choose to pick up that bottle and wash it down your throat. I did not choose to pick up my disease and drink it or injest it. Period. Therre is a HUGE difference. People like to call it a disease because it makes them feel better about it. Hey I stole from my Mom because I have a disease and I needed my fix. Yeah OK

Facts baby stick with the facts.......you are confusing actions with the disease......two different things....

Sure no one wakes up and says "I think I'll be an alcoholic today." But, no one with lung cancer chooses that, but 50 years of smoking will do it. No one who is morbidly obese chooses that, but no self control with food will do it. Alcoholism may not be a "choice" but it is a direct result of poor choices along life's journey.

WOW! Where did you get your MD degree? You need to do research before commenting. It will make you appear smarter.

Thank you for posting this.

Cancer is a disease that you don't ask for, when you drink you choose to you don't choose cancer. Don't get me going on this PLEASE!!!
Really? people CHOOSE to be alcoholics, please educate yourself.

Alcoholism is a broad term for problems with alcohol, and is generally used to mean compulsive and uncontrolled consumption of alcohol, usually to the detriment of the drinker's health, personal relationships, and social standing. It is medically considered a disease, specifically a neurological disorder, and in medicine several other terms are used, specifically "alcohol abuse" and "alcohol dependence" which have more specific definitions.[1] In 1979 an expert World Health Organisation committee discouraged the use of "alcoholism" in medicine, preferring the category of "alcohol dependence syndrome".[2] In the 19th and early 20th centuries, alcohol dependence in general was called dipsomania, but that term now has a much more specific meaning.[3] People suffering from alcoholism are often called "alcoholics". Many other terms, some of them insulting or informal, have been used throughout history. The World Health Organization estimates that there are 140 million people with alcoholism worldwide.[4][5]

Alcoholism is called a "dual disease" since it includes both mental and physical components.[6] The biological mechanisms that cause alcoholism are not well understood. Social environment, stress,[7] mental health, family history, age, ethnic group, and gender all influence the risk for the condition.[8][9] Long-term alcohol abuse produces changes in the brain's structure and chemistry such as tolerance and physical dependence. These changes maintain the person with alcoholism's compulsive inability to stop drinking and result in alcohol withdrawal syndrome if the person stops.[10] Alcohol damages almost every organ in the body, including the brain. The cumulative toxic effects of chronic alcohol abuse can cause both medical and psychiatric problems.[11]

Identifying alcoholism is difficult because of the social stigma associated with the disease that causes people with alcoholism to avoid diagnosis and treatment for fear of shame or social consequences. A common method for diagnosing alcoholism is evaluating responses to a group of standardized questions. These can be used to identify harmful drinking patterns, including alcoholism.[12] In general, problem drinking is considered alcoholism when the person continues to drink when they want to stop because of social or health problems caused by drinking.[13]

Treatment of alcoholism takes several steps. Because of the medical problems that can be caused by withdrawal, alcohol detoxification is carefully controlled and may involve medications such as benzodiazepines such as diazepam (Valium).[14] People with alcoholism also sometimes have other addictions, including addictions to benzodiazepines, which may complicate this step.[15] After detoxification, other support such as group therapy or self-help groups are used to help the person remain sober.[16][17]

Thombs (1999) states according to behavioural sciences alcoholism is described as a “maladaptive behaviour”. He explains this must not be confused with “misbehaviour”. Behavioural scientists explain that addicts have a behaviour pattern, which may lead to destructive consequences for themselves, their families and society. This does not label addicts as bad or irresponsible.[18] Compared with men, women are more sensitive to alcohol's harmful physical, cerebral, and mental effects.[19][20]

Addiction is a disorder not a freakin disease. Cancer is a disease, do not lump my family members who died of this horrific disease to those who drink by there choice.

Im assuming you have never lived with someone who cant control what happens if they drink.

Just because your relatives had a different medical problem .. lets not dismiss others problems and say oh my families medical problems are worse.. you dont know what others have been thru. Its naive to dismiss alcoholism.

Really? people CHOOSE to be alcoholics, please educate yourself.

Alcoholism is a broad term for problems with alcohol, and is generally used to mean compulsive and uncontrolled consumption of alcohol, usually to the detriment of the drinker's health, personal relationships, and social standing. It is medically considered a disease, specifically a neurological disorder, and in medicine several other terms are used, specifically "alcohol abuse" and "alcohol dependence" which have more specific definitions.[1] In 1979 an expert World Health Organisation committee discouraged the use of "alcoholism" in medicine, preferring the category of "alcohol dependence syndrome".[2] In the 19th and early 20th centuries, alcohol dependence in general was called dipsomania, but that term now has a much more specific meaning.[3] People suffering from alcoholism are often called "alcoholics". Many other terms, some of them insulting or informal, have been used throughout history. The World Health Organization estimates that there are 140 million people with alcoholism worldwide.[4][5]

Alcoholism is called a "dual disease" since it includes both mental and physical components.[6] The biological mechanisms that cause alcoholism are not well understood. Social environment, stress,[7] mental health, family history, age, ethnic group, and gender all influence the risk for the condition.[8][9] Long-term alcohol abuse produces changes in the brain's structure and chemistry such as tolerance and physical dependence. These changes maintain the person with alcoholism's compulsive inability to stop drinking and result in alcohol withdrawal syndrome if the person stops.[10] Alcohol damages almost every organ in the body, including the brain. The cumulative toxic effects of chronic alcohol abuse can cause both medical and psychiatric problems.[11]

Identifying alcoholism is difficult because of the social stigma associated with the disease that causes people with alcoholism to avoid diagnosis and treatment for fear of shame or social consequences. A common method for diagnosing alcoholism is evaluating responses to a group of standardized questions. These can be used to identify harmful drinking patterns, including alcoholism.[12] In general, problem drinking is considered alcoholism when the person continues to drink when they want to stop because of social or health problems caused by drinking.[13]

Treatment of alcoholism takes several steps. Because of the medical problems that can be caused by withdrawal, alcohol detoxification is carefully controlled and may involve medications such as benzodiazepines such as diazepam (Valium).[14] People with alcoholism also sometimes have other addictions, including addictions to benzodiazepines, which may complicate this step.[15] After detoxification, other support such as group therapy or self-help groups are used to help the person remain sober.[16][17]

Thombs (1999) states according to behavioural sciences alcoholism is described as a “maladaptive behaviour”. He explains this must not be confused with “misbehaviour”. Behavioural scientists explain that addicts have a behaviour pattern, which may lead to destructive consequences for themselves, their families and society. This does not label addicts as bad or irresponsible.[18] Compared with men, women are more sensitive to alcohol's harmful physical, cerebral, and mental effects.[19][20]

Honestly, you don't choose to drink? Is that what you are saying? How do you become an alcoholic then? Please enlighten me. Also, disorder is what it is thank you.

Archived