Tipping amount for private tour operators

I usually take note of what the US customers are giving. Seems to be around $5 for a couple. As a single I usually give $2. I have noticed however that many times the US customers do not tip at all. I have always been unsure if what I tip is correct. Could someone tell me??

Tipping a private tour operator in the US is optional. Some prices even state that a gratuity has been built in to the price. Some people tip, some do not. Depending on the type of tour, an optional tip of a $2-$3 per person is usually adequate should you choose to tip. Of course, if it is an expensive, longer or more exotic tour (I once did a helicopter tour of the Virgin Islands) a larger amount (again, if you choose) could be given. On my helicopter tour I tipped $20 as did a few others, while others tipped nothing. It is totally your decision, nice if you do but you won't feel out of place if you don't. For me personally, if I'm disappointed with the tour I won't tip at all, but if it is everything or more than I had hoped for I'll tip a little. Hope this helps.

Archived