Just curious - would you pre-tip at start of cruise?

rbrighin

Simple answer....Tipping is for performance accomplished (past tense) in desired fashion. It is not to be used for an incentive to get that performance. Once the money is out of hand anything thing can be expected, and not necessarily good (desired) performance!!!!!

Enjoy where you cruise and cruise when you can!

IMHO, There is a reason you are given tipping envelopes at the END of your cruise - it is to tip for a job well done. Giving a pre-tip to the Maitre'D does not make a difference on a cruise. You will get the same service. We received everything we asked for with a smile. The Maitre'D said hello at the start of the cruise and asked how the service was on the last night. He is there to run his portion of the dining room. Your waiter is the one that makes things happen, which is the one you should be generous with come tip night.

We frequently dine in very nice restaurants at home. We never have to wait, never make a reservation and are seated in the best tables...not by tipping the Maitre'd, but by being a regular who spends a lot of money and treats the wait staff well ($). In return we get always get a "gift" from the owners...a special appetizer or dessert or a bottle of wine on the house. That is the way it should be, not the other way around. It's their job to treat you well so you keep coming back and recommend them....same as a cruise.

What exactly are you pre-tipping for anyway??

To pre-tip on a cruise will not get you a better table, as they are pre-assigned, will not get you better service as the wait staff is doing their job and treats everyone of their 1500+ guests the same. It will not get you any different food as all you have to do is ask your waiter and he will get you anything you want, without a pre tip. A cruise is not a night club from the 40's, it is a huge floating resort where everyone is treated the same - with the exception of the Captain's table, I would assume.

To pre tip is like dangling a carrot to kiss your ***, make you happy and if you do you will get more where that came from.

I used to work in a service type job where people would try to give me money for better service (although it was not a job where tipping was necessary). I took the bait once and was so sorry for it. To do that you are saying you want to be treated better than the others, and when you are doing the best you can..it is never quite good enough for the person who gives you money. I never took any money before a job was completed. If you felt that I did an exceptional job for you at completion and you wish to show your appreciation that way, that is a different story. It is a thank you rather than a kiss my ***.

[This message was edited by Kathleen P. on 05-02-04 at 11:27 AM.]

Kathleen,

I agree with everything you say. Maybe it's just the way we are in the UK, (NOT LONDON, there is more to the UK than London), and our methods of tipping and not tipping. I have never ever had the Maitre’d do anything for me on any cruise I have been on, except introduce themselves, which resulted in most of our tablemates suggesting that 'That was the tip speech'

We tip only after getting a service and if that service is not up to scratch, and then it will be reflected in the tip, and even the lack of it. BUT always an explanation why or why not the tip is low or totally missing.

If I am sitting at a table with a couple who have pre-tipped the wait staff, will they be the only ones at that table who will get a better service, I don't think so.

There seems to be a lot of snobbery around on these boards, and you can often spot it a mile away.

Kathleen...

You put it way better than I ever could! Thanks!

My favorite tip was once I printed a card which looked like a $5 bill in the corner. On it read: "This would have been a real bill had you not been such a jerk. So take this as your tip and find some other work!" Only had to use it one time.

Good service and loyal customers deserve to be rewarded. That is the key word...DESERVE. How on earth does one deserve anything before they have lifted a finger? Would you give your child dessert before they finish their veggies?

Celebrity Century 5/8/04 -Western Caribbean

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;5;8;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Carnival Ecstasy 2/04 - Baja

Tahitian Princess 2/03- French Polynesia

Sea Princess 7/02 - Alaska

Carnival Ecstasy 5/02 - Baja

Royal Caribbean Monarch 10/00 - Southern Caribbean

Carnival Elation 10/99 - Mexican Riviera

Royal Caribbean Monarch 1/97 - Southern Caribbean

Hi Princessicon_smile.gif

Kathleen, I also want to thank you for your comments.

Your words were exactly my thoughts. Guess I was just getting too upset to write them down clearly.

Thanks again.

Next up...HORIZON Sept 18th to Bermuda!

See My Century and Mercury Pictures at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/lovescruising

Hi Lois icon_wink.gif

My final week!! I am sooo excited!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Celebrity Century 5/8/04 -Western Caribbean

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;5;8;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Carnival Ecstasy 2/04 - Baja

Tahitian Princess 2/03- French Polynesia

Sea Princess 7/02 - Alaska

Carnival Ecstasy 5/02 - Baja

Royal Caribbean Monarch 10/00 - Southern Caribbean

Carnival Elation 10/99 - Mexican Riviera

Royal Caribbean Monarch 1/97 - Southern Caribbean

Princess--

You will love the Century. We just returned a few weks ago and had a great time. It was our first cruise, so we did not know what to expect as we are land travel people. We are not accoustomed to being on vacation with so many people as we travel to small botique resorts. It felt strange dining in such a huge dining room with so many people when you are used to a resort with 60 to 100 guests, and see maybe 20 at a time! We had a table for 2 and met the nicest people. The ship is so beautiful and we loved our SS and butler. I found the pool area to be a disaster some days as there is never any chairs. We did appreciate the port days, when everyone was off the ship..we got off but got back early, as the ports were not the greatest (for us)....but we did love the ship. We found the Century just big enough, and so clean and well kept, I did not see any signs of wear as it is so well maintained. On the days that the pool was too crowded...I was at the spa ot the T-pool, which I highly recommend. Their treatments were wonderful. You will have the best time, as we were so pleasantly surprised. We loved it so much we booked Alaska on the Summit for next Julyicon_smile.gif I just hope we love it as much as our Century cruise!

You must post when you returnicon_smile.gif

Thanks Lois!

I have been doing my research - and she looks beautiful too. We were lucky enough to snag SS 6145 and added a land tour on the end. I can see how easy it is to get hooked on cruising. You are reallly pampered on a cruise, and so far love Celebrity. This board is wonderful too, I love all the info, which has made a big difference in our experience.

I doubt we will ever go take another caribbean cruise again...but there are so many beautiful places in this world that can only best be seen from a ship.

I wonder what the pre-tipper does if the service doesn't meet their expectations. Do they ask for it back? Kathleen, thanks. You have a nice way with words.

I also liked what you said about the Century. We will be on her in June and Princess has promised to let everyone know her perspective of her cruise. It looks like my DH and I are following you. We just booked the Summit for Alaska--but not this year. We're talking about Sept. of 2005. We like aft balconies, and for Alaska it's almost mandatory for us so we book really early. We have sailed on the Constellation and loved it, so know we will enjoy the Summit. I hope you will give us your thoughts about this cruise and ship when you get back.

Garry

click <a href="mailto:gkm278@comcast.net">here</a href> to send me an email

icon_frown.gifHi All - This is just my humble opinion, I have lived in the US myself so speak from first hand knowledge - Americans tend to be the most generous people in the world...and I sincerely mean it!! That said they also seem to be the most 'greed driven' and misguided at times also...Tipping prior to service 'smaks' of just that - tips given before service means simply giving a 'bribe' to provide what should be done anyway...in the hope of even better service than others get (never mind the ego boost when others see u do it). I mean, why are u giving tips in advance? I hate to spoil or break your bubble but it doesn't work not in my vast experience over the yrs! Have talked to many regarding same and they tend to be contemptuous of those who do it. Have been informed that usually a smile and or a greeting, offer to help open a door when their hands are full, questions regarding their days spent, families, homes, future plans & health are a lot more appreciated along with the tips (naturally) at the end of the cruise mean much more and get just as good if not better service. Just a thought 'de jour'!! icon_rolleyes.gif Happy cruisin'!

I just remembered something, which may mean more to people in the service industry:

The last day of our cruise we decided to extend our vacation (not wanting to go home ot the crappy NY weather) It was spring break time and we wanted to go to the Portofino in Orlando. The hotel was booked and Am Ex travel got us in for the 3 of 4 days, meaning the last day was up in the air. We had air trevel and no hotel room for 1 day. When we checked into the Portofino, there was a wonderful woman, Pat, who checked us in. We explained our dilemma and she took a few minutes to check her reservations in the computer. She saw an opening for the 4th day in reservations and got us the room for the 4th day, without having to move to another one, which was something no body was able to do. We were so thankful as she saved our vacation. My husband gave her a very nice tip, not in a showy way but in a handshake. She would not accept it, she kindly declined and explained the best thing we could do is to mention her name on the hotel questionaire which is in the room. As they get employee bonuses for a job well done. Also so you know too, our butler on the Century said the same thing - mention employees by name on the comment card for a job well done, in addition to tipping.

Some things are worth more than $$ icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I have never met a never staff of people going out of their way to make you happy. They work so very hard and make so little money.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am not greedy or anything but I don't think they make little money... On average cabin attendant has 12 cabins which makes it

49 X 12 = 588 per week (if there's 2 people in every cabin). It's about $2600 a month. It might seem to be very little amount for people from US or Canada but it's a huge money in former USSR/India/South American countries etc.

Just to give you a hint...Before moving to US I used to be a teacher in Ukraine. Full time. I was paid around $50 a month!!!

Now..again I am not a greedy person and tip accordingly to suggested amount(sometimes a little bit more) but to say that 2000+ a month is a small amount isn't exactly right.

If you really want to help somebody check boys who clean the ship day and night. They are beginners and getting payd 300 - 500 a month!!! They sleep around 3-4 or less hours a night and not fed very well. I met one guy from Lithuania. (Russian ...so I could speak to him). He graduated from university and has MS in Computer Science. He is 23 couldn't find a job but has wife and 2 years old son to feed. He told me how difficult is their life until they are cabin attendants.

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value=2004>

<param name="month" value=5>

<param name="day" value=15>

<param name="hour" value=19>

</applet>

till my dream Med vacation!

Century 07/12/03 Eastern Caribbean FFL-San Juan - St. Thomas - St.Maarten- Nassau -FFL

Komarno(Volga)07/91 Moscow - Astrahan' - Moscow (honeymoon)

Komarno(Volga)07/90 Moscow - Astrahan'- Moscow

Admiral Nachimov(or Nakhimov) (Black Sea)04/1986 Odessa - Batum

GO BRUINS!!!!

Archived