Wil we feel much motion on FOS

Going on the FOS western in January on deck 7 cabin 7664 AFT...DH is very sensitive to motion. if anyone has any information on this room or location it would be greatly appreciated.thank you:)

It all depends on the weather. We've been on cruises where they put extra staff in the Windjammer to carry trays for guests who had trouble walking to their tables. And we've been on 13-14 night cruises where every day was perfect weather. If he knows for sure he gets motion sickness I know folks who swear by the patches. Fresh air, green apples and ginger ale can also help if you prefer natural remedies. I always thought I would be sea sick before we started cruising. We've been in some very rough seas and it has never bothered me at all - except when I notice someone who is green in at a nearby table! The sea sickness face is unmistakable. Then I just look the other way!

You are going to be on a ship. Although it is a BIG ship it will still be on water and it will still be moving most of the time.

As another poster said it will depend upon the weather and the seas.

Be prepared for the worst case scenario and carry plenty of motion sickness aids. Even in the calmest of seas he still may feel some motion.

I've never been on a cruise where I've never felt it sway a little bit, even on the Allure. I would plan on a little bit of motion, but it's not typically anything too dramatic.

You are misleading the OP. If you have big enough swells, any ship will move. We had 20-30 ft swells on my Allure cruise and you better believe that ship rocked and rolled.

Plan on taking medicine in case.

If DH is very sensitive to motion, aft is probably the worst place to be. Mid-ship on a lower level may make a more pleasant trip. In any case, be prepared with preventive medicine.

I find the motion worse in the front of the ship -- Just my opinion. Middle and a lower deck is the best as stated. The Freedom is a pretty stable ship but, as others have said, you will probably feel something from time to time even in calm seas. Have fun on your cruise!

The real truth is...is you won't know until it's history. If you have rough weather, any ship and any cabin will feel it, even low and mid ship.

I've been on the same ship/itinerary multiple times and every single time it was different. Some trips I had to go out on deck to see if we were even moving, another time you had to hang onto the hallway rails to get to your cabin.

But I never select cabin in regards to ship movement. When I'm sleeping the motion doesn't bother me at all. When I'm awake I don't want the only option to be in a cabin where I think I may be safer from motion. As a matter of fact, the best thing to do would be to get out of the cabin and get some fresh air.

Test different OTC aids for motion sickness and see what is right for you. For me, ginger only gives me heartburn and I hate the flavor. Ginger ale doesn't really do anything since much of it has no ginger in it, read the label and it may surprise you. I've never considered patches as I like to read and have a glass of wine or two with dinner. Patches can make your vision blur and you're not supposed to drink when wearing a patch.

What works best for me is the less drowsy formula of Dramamine. But I only take in once a day at bed time. Taken any other time of the day or a higher dose and I will sleep the entire cruise. If we are on a sea day and the ocean is rough, I'll take a half a tab...and a nap.

You don't want to be on the cruise to find out what works best for you, try it ahead of time.

I used to get seasick frequently, now I don't think about it so much and it rarely happens. I'm one who will get carsick as well if I'm in the back seat or if I read in the front seat.

I'm a big fan of Bonine (generic name meclizine), been using it since 1984. I chew one the morning of the sailing and one right before the ship sails...never have a problem.

EXCEPT when sailing out of Cozumel....for some reason it seems to get really rough coming out of there. That's how I learned that regardless of how seasick free I am during the rest of the cruise, I'd better chew a couple more that particular day.

Normally after the first day I don't need anything. Stay with your seasick protocol if you need to, but even if you don't, do take precautions the day you sail OUT of Cozumel.

Ten people may come behind me to say they've never noticed it's being rough......well,

I'll be doing it in a couple of weeks, and I'm not going to take the chance.

The real truth is...is you won't know until it's history. If you have rough weather, any ship and any cabin will feel it, even low and mid ship.

I've been on the same ship/itinerary multiple times and every single time it was different. Some trips I had to go out on deck to see if we were even moving, another time you had to hang onto the hallway rails to get to your cabin.

OP, you've asked one of the most subjective and often-asked questions regarding cruising.

The fact of the matter is, "it's not the size of the ship, it's the motion of the ocean" and some people get sick while others do not.

One other medicine you can try is Scopace. Click on the link for more information.

Happy Cruising

I get car sick very easily, but I don't have much problems on cruise ships. I have cruised many times and actually rough seas are rather exciting and they don't bother me at all, maybe a little bit of adrenaline in my system helps. :D On a day to day basis, on fairly calm seas, the motion bothers me a little, but mostly it makes me tired and sleepy and sometimes gives me a headache. I have found that 1 Bonine at bedtime helps tremendously. If I take it at bedtime I wake up feeling good and that feeling stays all day. If I take Bonine in the morning I get seriously sleepy and find myself taking 2-3 naps a day, no way to be on a cruise with tons of things to do.

I get car sick very easily, but I don't have much problems on cruise ships. I have cruised many times and actually rough seas are rather exciting and they don't bother me at all, maybe a little bit of adrenaline in my system helps. :D On a day to day basis, on fairly calm seas, the motion bothers me a little, but mostly it makes me tired and sleepy and sometimes gives me a headache. I have found that 1 Bonine at bedtime helps tremendously. If I take it at bedtime I wake up feeling good and that feeling stays all day. If I take Bonine in the morning I get seriously sleepy and find myself taking 2-3 naps a day, no way to be on a cruise with tons of things to do.

I wish i had read your post before i went on my first cruise :) i was taking Bonine in the morning i was sleeping loads lol never thought of taking the night before :rolleyes:

• 5 months later...
Going on the FOS western in January on deck 7 cabin 7664 AFT...DH is very sensitive to motion. if anyone has any information on this room or location it would be greatly appreciated.thank you:)

Did you stay with this cabin 7664? If so, how was it? Many thanks

Archived