Just Back From Jewel 10/1 - 10/8

Dolphins

The Jewel still sparkles but unfortunately the weather did not. Cloudy, cold and rainy until the final two days. We had to cancel our stop in St. John because the port was closed due to wind conditions. Capt. Lars gave us a calm and smooth unplanned sea day. I still managed a daily swim in the heated pool though the temperature rarely approached the 84 degrees stated on the cabin TV. Embarkation 11AM and debarkation 8:30AM were very early and well done considering four ships were docked there at the same time.

Food was very good especially in Cagney's and LeBistro. Surprising how many passengers had dinner in the Garden Cafe Buffet. Enjoyed the entertainment especialy the Harmony Duo Simon (piano) and Monica (violin) from the UK preforming almost nightly in the Atrium to appreciative crowds. The Rama 111 show band was outstanding providing a variety of ballroom dance music as well as a Glenn Miller Tribute in Spinnakers. Fire and Ice and Modal Magic were very popular in various venues. Massimo & Alisia and Le Cirque Bijou were standout production shows in the Stardust Theatre. Our trivia team of Gary, Michael, Silva and I performed respectably throughout the week.

The staff was first rate with special mention to Concierge Ryan and our diminutive cabin attendant Winnie from the Philippines who promptly supplied our every request. The friendly staff more than made up for the dismal weather and we would not hesitate to sail Jewel again.

If you have any questions, just let me know.

Hi Dolphins,

Sounds like you had another good cruise despite the not so favorable weather. Any fall colors in view?

Any standout dishes this time in the specialties you tried?

Same question about the Garden Cafe in the evening. What kinds of food did you try - any recommendations?

How was the Meet & Greet? I assume NCL put out the welcome mat with some of the officers attending?

Interesting name for the show band.:)

So sorry to hear that the weather didn't cooperate for your sailing. We were on the first Jewel cruise to Canada/NE on the 17th of September. We had very mild weather - actually warmer than expected. Except our Portland stop was foggy and rainy but that didn't stop us from exploring the city. But it sounded like you did enjoy yourself so that is good. By the way, I am the one that told you about the pool temp being 84 before you cruised...and I got that off of the TV too. So I am sorry about that! I am wondering now if they never change that from cruise to cruise :rolleyes:

Hi Dolphins' date='

Sounds like you had another good cruise despite the not so favorable weather. Any fall colors in view?

Any standout dishes this time in the specialties you tried?

Same question about the Garden Cafe in the evening. What kinds of food did you try - any recommendations?

How was the Meet & Greet? I assume NCL put out the welcome mat with some of the officers attending?

Interesting name for the show band.:)[/quote']

Too early for the fall colors, the hot summer will make them late this year.

We loved the oysters Rockefeller and rack of lamb in Cagney's; the fantastic bouillabaise soup and duck in LeBistro; the Fruit de Mar fettuciini in Mama's Italian Kitchen.

At the dinner buffet, roast lamb and pork loin were excellent.

Good turnout for our Meet and Greet, about 50 people. Captain Lars was a humorous host telling us not to worry that when he is away from the bridge, the nurse drives the ship.

I asked the drummer about the name Rama 111 for the Jewel's excellent show band. He said it was a long story and I never got to hear it.

Thanks for your review. We will be on the Jewel next year. I am glad to hear she is still in great shape. I'm just curious. What type of suite were you in? Did you enjoy the "suite life?"

We had a balcony cabin on deck 10, never had any need for a butler.

So sorry to hear that the weather didn't cooperate for your sailing. We were on the first Jewel cruise to Canada/NE on the 17th of September. We had very mild weather - actually warmer than expected. Except our Portland stop was foggy and rainy but that didn't stop us from exploring the city. But it sounded like you did enjoy yourself so that is good. By the way, I am the one that told you about the pool temp being 84 before you cruised...and I got that off of the TV too. So I am sorry about that! I am wondering now if they never change that from cruise to cruise :rolleyes:

I was the only person in the pool the first four days when I doubt the temperature was above 74. On Wednesday morning it was even colder and I found no warm water coming out of the pool ducts. I told the pool attendants and warm water was flowing from the ducts in the afternoon. Since I swim daily at home in an 83 degree "Y" indoor pool, I am a good judge of pool temperature. On the afternoon of the last day, the pool temperature finally reached that 84 degree mark. No idea why it wasn't that temperature all week?

I just returned from the Oct 1 - 8 Jewel cruise to New England. I have a question. Does anyone know what they were charged for Government Taxes for this cruise ( not port charges)? The reason I ask is because I thought I understood that I prepaid for my gratuities and that amount plus the Government taxes was added on my invoice. Then when I bill onboard at the end of the cruise, I was charged for the gratuities. Does anyone know the amount for just the Government taxes so that I can figure out if I did or did not pre-pay for the gratuities?

Archived