What Cunard Should Do To Improve the QM2's G32 Club

Cruise Liner Fan

My ideas to what Cunard should do to improve the G32 Club aboard QM2 would be to for the DJ to play more variety of music such as disco,pop,rock and today's music.The caribbean band which Cunard has have since the days of the QE2 I think is not really needed because I would rather hear the classic hits of the 60s,70s,80s,90s,00s and today by the original artists.Most clubs do this by playing the popular hits by the popular artists and most of these clubs do not have a live band in the club.This is my opinion and anyone agree or disagree? Does anyone know if the other cruise lines in their clubs aboard their ships do they alternate between a live band and a DJ? Before I first went aboard the QE2 in 2000 in August of 1999 my first ever cruise was on the now defunct cruise line that was known as Premier Cruise Line aboard the Ship named Seabreeze which was originally a 1950s Italian built ocean liner with the name Frederico C of the Costa Line.Anyway aboard the Seabreeze there was a DJ playing recorded music but no live band in the club aboard the Seabreeze.Then next July of 2000 I went aboard the Regal Empress of Regal Cruise Line,The Regal Empress was like the Seabreeze a 1950s built ocean liner and she was originally known as the Olympia of the Greek Line.Anyway in the club aboard Regal Empress there was a live band but no DJ anywhere aboard ship playing recorded music. Regards,Jerry

Now I remember that aboard the Seabreeze there were 2 venues in the evening.One venue had a live band and very little people in this club.The other venue had the DJ playing recorded music and it always was crowded.So aboard the Seabreeze the passenger had a choice between a DJ or a live band. Regards,Jerry

My ideas to what Cunard should do to improve the G32 Club aboard QM2 would be to for the DJ to play more variety of music such as disco,pop,rock and today's music.

You mean like an actual proper nightclub? Yes, that would be fantastic.

The caribbean band which Cunard has have since the days of the QE2 I think is not really needed because I would rather hear the classic hits of the 60s,70s,80s,90s,00s and today by the original artists.

Exactly;neither needed nor desired.

G32 is a guaranteed let down. And this is solely because of the Caribbean bands which Cunard seemed determined to inflict on G32 patrons. Nightclubs and Caribbean bands do not mix. Cheesy Hawaiian-print shirts, alcoholic drinks served in coconuts and sail-a-way parties from the Caribbean require a Caribbean band. Not a nightclub, on an ocean liner, in the middle of the North Atlantic.

Most clubs do this by playing the popular hits by the popular artists and most of these clubs do not have a live band in the club.This is my opinion and anyone agree or disagree?

I agree completely. If Cunard is going to have a nightclub then it should be a proper nightclub. If you're going to do something, do it properly. Pay a proper DJ to come and play some decent music and leave the Caribbean bands to the sail-a-way parties. What's next - an Oompha band in G32?

Whitemarsh, Thank You for writing your opinion.Anyone else with what Cunard Should Do To Improve The G32 Club? Does anyone else know if the other cruise lines in the clubs aboard their ships alternate between a live band and a DJ playing recorded music. Regards,Jerry

You mean like an actual proper nightclub? Yes, that would be fantastic.

Exactly;neither needed nor desired.

G32 is a guaranteed let down. And this is solely because of the Caribbean bands which Cunard seemed determined to inflict on G32 patrons. Nightclubs and Caribbean bands do not mix. Cheesy Hawaiian-print shirts, alcoholic drinks served in coconuts and sail-a-way parties from the Caribbean require a Caribbean band. Not a nightclub, on an ocean liner, in the middle of the North Atlantic.

I agree completely. If Cunard is going to have a nightclub then it should be a proper nightclub. If you're going to do something, do it properly. Pay a proper DJ to come and play some decent music and leave the Caribbean bands to the sail-a-way parties. What's next - an Oompha band in G32?

I agree 100%, I am not keen on the band anyway, but they are okay on deck for sailaway

Many experienced ballroom dancers will sympathise with your situation in the G32 nightclub because very often in the Queen's Room we have the same trouble with the dance band. Since the QM2 inaugural cruise there have been continual complaints from ballroom dancers that the band/orchestra is all over the place when it comes to playing the correct tempos for ballroom dancing. So, not surprisingly, most of these dancers would probably prefer to dance to CDs recorded at the correct tempo.

Yes, we all agree that it's wonderful when ballroom-dancers can enjoy the visual and atmospheric ambience of live music but what's the point if it's played at the wrong tempo?

The annoying thing is that it's so easy to get it right. But does Cunard ever listen?

And for what it's worth, I think there would be general agreement that night-clubs such as G32 would be more appreciated when run by a charismatic DJ playing playing a non-stop selection of hits from the 60s to the present day.

I would prefer a disco type G32 with the more popular music played. A DJ can clear a dance floor if the right music is not played. He should know what gets people up dancing and what doesn't work.

Catherine

I agree.

Also when Sorin was behind the bar he created a great atmosphere as well.

Does anybody know if he's still on board QM2?

Regards

Carl

I A DJ can clear a dance floor if the right music is not played. He should know what gets people up dancing and what doesn't work.

Catherine

Exactly, and that's what G32s DJ did every night on the cruise I was on last November! He had absolutely no charisma, and even though the floor was packed when he came on, he emptied it in seconds! It needs somebody who can ready his crowd - this guy definitely couldn't. I sincerely hope he's not there when I do my TA next year.

ban smoking in G32 it stinks in there, went in there in my tux and it then had to be cleaned as it wreaked of stale smoke
Dan Dan, Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that the smoking in the G32 Club is only allowed upstairs in the G32 Club's balcony.However I do agree with you concerning the smoking but since Cunard does want to sell out the QM2 for each crossing and cruise, smoking is something they have to allow in many sections of their ships.Otherwise Cunard may risk losing passengers to other cruise lines. Regards,Jerry

Dan Dan, Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that the smoking in the G32 Club is only allowed upstairs in the G32 Club's balcony.However I do agree with you concerning the smoking but since Cunard does want to sell out the QM2 for each crossing and cruise, smoking is something they have to allow in many sections of their ships.Otherwise Cunard may risk losing passengers to other cruise lines. Regards,Jerry

gerry, you are probably right about the smoking but it was not enforced and there was smoking all over G32. Someone was smoking in the cabin below mine and their smoke blew into our cabin. I would have been happy to pour our waste products into his cabin. I agree their should be a smoking bar but not in one of the main entertaiment areas.

gerry, you are probably right about the smoking but it was not enforced and there was smoking all over G32. Someone was smoking in the cabin below mine and their smoke blew into our cabin. I would have been happy to pour our waste products into his cabin. I agree their should be a smoking bar but not in one of the main entertaiment areas.

Dan Dan, Did you complain to Cunard about the smoking on both levels of the G32 Club and the passenger smoking in the cabin one deck below you? Regards,Jerry

We did a crossing a month ago, and went to G32 every night. We enjoyed dancing to Vibz, and the dance floor was crowded when they played. However, when the DJ came on, most people left the floor, and the music was variable.

It would be better if smoking was banned in G32. One night it was really smokey, and our clothes reeked when we got back to the cabin.

Yes both the DJ and Vibz are terrible in my opinion.

Smoking

I am a smoker and hopefully a considerate one as well. There are only 3 places I will smoke on the QM2 and these are Churchills, G32 and the outdoor smoking area at the stern. I would never, ever smoke in a stateroom and I think it should be totally banned in these.

The problem with the QM2 is her size, in fact it's a fair old hike from the bow to the stern. Churchills is at the bow and on the higher decks whilst G32 is at the stern and on the lower decks. This gives the smokers 2 smoking areas inside the ship, one being at the front and the other at the back.

What we don't want to happen is smokers sneaking a cigarette in an unauthorised area because the can't be bothered to walk from one end of the ship to the other. Like inside staterooms, this causes a massive fire risk.

I will also add that for all the people who continually moan about smoke and beat the drum about smoking being totally banned, have a think about what you enjoy doing that some others may not be able to tolerate. Perhaps you wouldn't like them to continually campaign for these pursuits to be banned.

I am totally for smoking areas in a controlled environment that will not upset my fellow passengers.

My suggestion for improvement: Get rid of it.

It is too "contemporary" in style, the athmosphere out of place and the music often too loud.

The Yacht Club is a much better example of a nigth club / late night destination befitting a Cunard ship.

Otherwise I second the observation that the live band was more able to fill the dance floor than the DJ. A good DJ will also meet the guests' tastes yet it is still not the same as a live band.

What is the guests' taste? Who knows? But I bet most Cunard passengers do not want "rock and today's music" in the only place open late night.

My suggestion for improvement: Get rid of it.

It is too "contemporary" in style, the athmosphere out of place and the music often too loud.

The Yacht Club is a much better example of a nigth club / late night destination befitting a Cunard ship.

Otherwise I second the observation that the live band was more able to fill the dance floor than the DJ. A good DJ will also meet the guests' tastes yet it is still not the same as a live band.

What is the guests' taste? Who knows? But I bet most Cunard passengers do not want "rock and today's music" in the only place open late night.

Then what should Cunard do with the room? Permanently closing that room makes no sense and then there is the lost income from passengers not able to buy drinks if that room were to close permanently.However your suggestion of using the Yacht Club from the QE2 as an inspiration to redecorate the G32 Club is a good one.I was never really pleased with the industrial look of the G32 Club.If the G32 Club can be redecorated to look like the Yacht Club from the QE2 that would be a great idea in my opinion.But also the club would still require a DJ playing the proper music.Regards,Jerry

Does anyone else know if the other cruise lines in the clubs aboard their ships alternate between a live band and a DJ playing recorded music. Regards,Jerry

Yes, when I sailed NCL last year on the transatlantic they had the 'carribbean band' that happened to have repetoire that included Motown, jazz, and even pop. That band was truly fantastic. Easy to dance to and the crowd really seemed to have a great time.

You could find this band all over the ship and then at night in the disco/club. After about 10:30 the band would leave and the DJ took over, I really never stayed on after that because I was tired or wanted to do something else. Sorry I can't comment on if the DJ was good or not.

So, in theory it DOES work, it just depends on the talent that is hired. :)

Archived