Partial Cruise - Disembarking Early in Nassau

atstpier2

Does anybody know whether NCL permits a passenger to take a partial cruise to Nassau? I would like to take the 4 day cruise on the Sky out of Miami, get off in Nassau and spend a week in Atlantis? I called NCL and they said I may be subject to fines, but she didn't seem very knowledgeable. I suspect she was confusing domestic flagged ship laws. Has anybody ever done this on NCL?

Yes I understand I will have to find my own way home. I also understand I will pay full fare. I just don't want to be hit with any additional fees or penalties for getting off the ship early. I see on the Royal Carribean site that they permit early disembarkation provided the passenger follows Jones Act requirements. I can't find anything for NCL.

Yes I understand I will have to find my own way home. I also understand I will pay full fare. I just don't want to be hit with any additional fees or penalties for getting off the ship early. I see on the Royal Carribean site that they permit early disembarkation provided the passenger follows Jones Act requirements. I can't find anything for NCL.

It's the Passenger Vessel Services Act, and no...there is no fine for what you want to do because you're disembarking in a foreign port, Nassau. The PVSA would only come into play if you were disembarking at a US port other than your port of embarkation...for example if you were on a Norwegian Jewel cruise from NY and wanted to disembark in Port Canaveral, FL.

The PVSA permits embarking in one US port and disembarking in another only if the ship calls on a distant foreign port. The nearest distant foreign ports to the East Coast of the US are the ABC islands...Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao.

You should call NCL, but you're going to need to get past the front line customer service reps, who won't know what to do, and may give you the same incorrect advice you've already received.

Please forgive me for saying this, as you probably already know it...but please aware of the fact that you will need a valid passport to do this trip, as you won't be taking a closed loop cruise, which would have permitted you to travel with only a government-issued birth certificate and photo ID such as a drivers license.

I think the biggest problem might be in Nassau....usually you need to go thru immigration when arriving in another country. My understanding is that the ship handles that with the port country authorities with the understanding that it is a time-limited visit. We, the passengers, are thus relieved of the hassle of a line to have our passport stamped etc. However, if you leave the ship and have not been cleared by Nassau to stay there, you might be in a world of hurt. I don't know Nassau policies but I'd sure check. On some islands, when you enter the country, you fill out a form stating when you will leave and then are issued an exit document that gets you out of the country at the airport. In those countries, you are in a world of hurt if you entered "illegally."

I think the biggest problem might be in Nassau....usually you need to go thru immigration when arriving in another country. My understanding is that the ship handles that with the port country authorities with the understanding that it is a time-limited visit. We, the passengers, are thus relieved of the hassle of a line to have our passport stamped etc. However, if you leave the ship and have not been cleared by Nassau to stay there, you might be in a world of hurt. I don't know Nassau policies but I'd sure check. On some islands, when you enter the country, you fill out a form stating when you will leave and then are issued an exit document that gets you out of the country at the airport. In those countries, you are in a world of hurt if you entered "illegally."

This is why you have to make arrangements in advance with the cruise line. They will inform the local authorities and if the authorities deem it necessary you will go through a passport and customs check when you disembark the ship. It should be no big deal in Nassau. Entry requirements for US tourists into the Bahamas aren't any big deal...no visa is required...it isn't like going to Russia or China. ;)

I've been on several cruises (NCL) where you see passengers for one reason or another leave the ship. One time a family left mid cruise to fly back to the US because of a death in the family. Another time I heard a couple couldn't stand NCL and got off the ship on their own and said F- this. I'm sure there's got to be some way to do it. Our country (and cruise lines that do business with our citizens) aren't really in to holding people captive. You might have to pay a special fee, do special paperwork, whatever but they can't force you to return back from each port.

Plus what about all the people that miss the ship at all these ports. You always hear of people falling asleep on the beach and missing the ship, getting drunk and missing the ship. These people are all still around somewhere I'm sure. And, they had the added hassle of their luggage being left back on the ship.

There's got to be a way. Either you tell them up front and ahead that you are doing this or you tell them as you disembark in Nassau and as you wheel your luggage off the ship there......."Hey, just so you know, I'm not going to be returning. I've got my luggage and I'm all set. You don't need to page me over and over as a missing passenger. I'm just telling you now I'm finished with the cruise. It was great, thanks!"

Many cruise performers embark and disembark at the different ports a cruise ship visits. The cruise line makes the arrangements and has the paper work available for them.

We disembarked in Antigua (so not Nassau) due to a death emergency at home...we did not have the entry paperwork, as the op mentioned, but the cruise line took care of it for us. You cannot leave a foreign country without producing your entry papers. We were actually listed on the paperwork for some departing performers...the custom officers boarded the ship and checked our documents in the lobby and off we went. It was Princess but it would seem that all lines would be able to do this.

Many cruise performers embark and disembark at the different ports a cruise ship visits. The cruise line makes the arrangements and has the paper work available for them.

We disembarked in Antigua (so not Nassau) due to a death emergency at home...we did not have the entry paperwork, as the op mentioned, but the cruise line took care of it for us. You cannot leave a foreign country without producing your entry papers. We were actually listed on the paperwork for some departing performers...the custom officers boarded the ship and checked our documents in the lobby and off we went. It was Princess but it would seem that all lines would be able to do this.

Absolutely, which is why I've told the OP to notify the cruise line so they can make the appropriate arrangements.

Not sure why you are wanting to cruise there. Atlantis was recently doing Fly and Stay vacation packages with free companion airfare. You would probably be better off to just plan an Atlantis vacation.

Contact NCL and tell them you need to speak to the dept. that handles "downline disembarkation", so that you can get their e-mail address. You will need to e-mail them the pertinent information for your sailing, ie, name, booking #, ship, sail date, and where you wish to disembark. There should not be a problem in any of this, however, the request does need to be approved by the Capt. of the ship. The whole process usually takes anywhere from 24-48 hours to get approval.

Archived