Plan a Cave Tubing Back-Up!

limboman

We were in Belize last week off of the Carnival Legend and learned a valuable lesson - plan a back-up for cave tubing! Belize has gotten a lot of rain and the water level was too high for cave tubing. Cave-tubing.com had a couple of other options - ATV's and ziplining - but we didn't want to do either of those, so just ended up hanging out at their bar all day. They told us on the front end that the water level may be too high to tube, but we ignored it... and shouldn't have. 20/20 hindsight - we should have taken a water taxi to Caye Caulker or something like that.

Anyway - hadn't seen anything on the boards about the water level being too high to cave tube, so wanted to give everyone the heads up.

This same thing happened to friends back in 2005 and they just ended up staying on the ship (Cruise sponsored trip). We did do the cave tubing back in December and didn't have anything else on the horizon but probably should have, thanks for the heads up!

Snow bunny

We did not have a back up plan either, but it is a great idea! The previous 3 days prior to us arriving, there had been too much rain and they had to cancel the cave tubing. We were the first ones back allowed to tube that day. From now on, if it's something like this, I'll make sure I have a back up plan. :)

We just got back from the caves last week on the Dream. The river was raging high and fast and we almost were unable to complete the tour. Our guides from cavetubing.bz showed us that there is a measuring stick placed at the river crossing point. If the water is higher than the stick there is no more tubing until the water recedes. This is strictly enforced maintaining safety for all prospective tubers.

We sail at the end of the month and I'm now concerned about a back-up plan too. I was thinking about snorkeling, but if the weather is bad that probably won't work either. I dunno.

For the cave tubing it has more to do with the current water level than the actual weather conditions. It could be a beautiful day, but if it had been raining and the water level is too high they can't do the tubing because it is too dangerous. There's pretty strict guidelines that all of the tours have to follow.

Archived