Switching rooms once you are boarded...

Putter

In short, we have a mid-ship balcony on the 10th floor. We were booked as a group reservation. We would like to move to the 5th floor for an oceanview room (a downgrade), so we can be across from where our children are staying (separate reservation). Much easier for naps and bedtime. There are 3 specific rooms that we would like to get, but all are booked already. Since we were part of a group reservation, and any of the 3 rooms would like are booked, they said it could not be done.

The question I have is once we are boarded, could we knock on that door and ask for a switch. My wife thinks it is tacky and inappropriate. Most important question, if this agreed upon could the switch be done by going to the front desk and switching out the keys. Next, is this tacky and looks suspicious? If someone approached you with this request would you do it? Or is this just a waste of time. Any input would be appreciated...

Did you all book through the same TA or directly with NCL? Maybe he or she can contact their clients to see if they are willing to switch cabins with you prior to the cruise. Alternatively, you can register on Roll Call and approach it there. Good luck, and keep us posted, please.

...The question I have is once we are boarded, could we knock on that door and ask for a switch. My wife thinks it is tacky and inappropriate. Most important question, if this agreed upon could the switch be done by going to the front desk and switching out the keys. Next, is this tacky and looks suspicious? If someone approached you with this request would you do it? Or is this just a waste of time. Any input would be appreciated...

1) Your wife is absolutely correct! (It's inappropriate, and even more inconvenient!) They have probably already unpacked and are settled in.

2) Yes, it looks suspicious...and I'd be a bit creeped out by it.

3) No, I would not do it.

Good Luck!

In order to not break NCL rules there must be someone at least 21 yr old in every cabin - unless they are in ajoining rooms - group reservations are no exception. As for changing rooms - unless you are part of the group then it would be tacky to ask about changing rooms onboard the ship. You need to get this settled now -either through your TA or NCL.

The children are in the room with grandma. It would just be easier if our room was next to them. I guess it does seem to be tacky, I was just thinking on a personal level. If someone asked us to switch from an oceanview to a mid-level balcony, I'd be all over it. It's the upgrade that we all would like prior to the cruise from an NCL rep, but I guess it does seem 'weird' from a stanger at the beginning of cruise.

I like the idea of maybe getting a hold that rooms TA. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi Putter,

I believe that you would be best in trying to get your TA to switch you all in advance to cabins which were near each other.

Knocking on doors and asking for a switch would be difficult and perhaps obtrusive. It is not like the old days were you could exchange keys for a locking door. Your key card is part of your billing statement for the cruise.

Additionally you would be asking strangers to accommodate your needs, which would be preferably done in advance by your TA, so that no one is put on the spot to feel uncomfortable if they wish to turn down your offer.

Hope this is helpful. Christie

I don't think that knocking on the door and asking to switch cabins is the way to go about it. For one thing I'd be creeped out if a total stranger approached me with this idea even if they wanted to switch me to the highest paying suite! Your room key etc. has all your own info in their computer, all on board costs will be charged to that acct and also bags will be delivered to that cabin. Maybe your TA can find a cabin near grandma and the kids but let them handle it. It has to be done before you board I would think.

In short, we have a mid-ship balcony on the 10th floor. We were booked as a group reservation. We would like to move to the 5th floor for an oceanview room (a downgrade), so we can be across from where our children are staying (separate reservation). Much easier for naps and bedtime. There are 3 specific rooms that we would like to get, but all are booked already. Since we were part of a group reservation, and any of the 3 rooms would like are booked, they said it could not be done.

The question I have is once we are boarded, could we knock on that door and ask for a switch. My wife thinks it is tacky and inappropriate. Most important question, if this agreed upon could the switch be done by going to the front desk and switching out the keys. Next, is this tacky and looks suspicious? If someone approached you with this request would you do it? Or is this just a waste of time. Any input would be appreciated...

If you're on my cruise ill swap!!! :D you could ask the staff at check in to contact said room number to ask if they would like to upgrade to a balcony - no brainer im certain they will say yes! just get it done befor people have unpacked and i dont think it will be a problem. even if you knocked on the door yourself and explained that your children are in the room next door and you would really like to be in the room next to them, and offered the swap im sure they would understand and wouldnt feel that it was odd, might think you are a lil crazy to be giving up a balcony , but im sure theyd be pleased that you approached them , I wouldnt feel creeped out by this at all , Id even buy you a few drinks to say thanks!!! maybe its best that the staff approach them instead of you, just so that they dont feel like they are being tricked. good luck and I hope you have a wonderful cruise

Edited by nikimouse

If you're on my cruise ill swap!!! :D you could ask the staff at check in to contact said room number to ask if they would like to upgrade to a balcony - no brainer im certain they will say yes! just get it done befor people have unpacked and i dont think it will be a problem. even if you knocked on the door yourself and explained that your children are in the room next door and you would really like to be in the room next to them, and offered the swap im sure they would understand and wouldnt feel that it was odd, might think you are a lil crazy to be giving up a balcony , but im sure theyd be pleased that you approached them , I wouldnt feel creeped out by this at all , Id even buy you a few drinks to say thanks!!! maybe its best that the staff approach them instead of you, just so that they dont feel like they are being tricked. good luck and I hope you have a wonderful cruise

I agree.

I can't imagine being creeped out by this offer. It would be a PLEASANT, unexpected surprise. I do think that you should approach the front desk first, to see whether they could help you accomodate the swap. Otherwise it could seem a little suspicious. Or try to arrange it before you leave. The fact that you're willing to pay for the balcony means NCL could come out looking like a hero to some unsuspecting passenger. They could have the upsell fairy call someone today, offering a FREE upgrade. WIN/WIN/WIN situation. 2 happy customers, and a cruise line that looks like a hero.

We were able to do a similar type swap on Disney once but not by knocking on the door. We arrived extremely early (just before noon) and explained our predicament to the check in agent. It was the same scenario traveling with G & G and kids.

With the check in agent we flagged a couple of cabins that would suit us better. As soon as the first one checked in she offered them our outside cabin for an inside. A no brainer and of course they said yes. We were happy to be next door to G & G. Some nights the kids slept with us, and some nights they went next door.

We also had an extra card made for G & G's cabin so if our bathroom was busy we could use theirs.;)

I would take a balcony for sure--and I would not be creeped out by it at all.

That said, I think it would make your day extremely stressful and if there is any way to take care of it ahead of time I would certainly do that.

Someone mentioned going to the Roll call Board. I think if your TA cannot do anything, that that strategy would be better than trying to do this the day of boarding. You know what the Roll Call board is right? If the tA can't do anything, then go over there. Well go ahead and go over to that board anyway and get yourself known. Then if you need help--those are all people who are on your cruise and chances are there will be someone in the vicinity--maybe not exactly where you wish--but in the vicinity.

I'm in the category of people that would do anything for a balcony. I have no idea why there are so many people who would be creeped out if you simply asked--of course you have to be ready for a no.

A couple of thoughts. First, this is a group reservation, a little different than an individual res. May or may not be an issue.

Second. Going to the front desk at embarkation and asking to make a swap with all of the group reservation piece of it, plus billing and finding and moving the luggage involved would not be easy for the front desk.

I think this is 100% an issue for the TA to deal with if they can. I think if it were as easy as some think, they would have already done it. Ask one more time for the TA to facilitate it and if the answer is no, just let it go and move the kids between floors. They have elevators.:D

Edited by rvsullivan
spelling

I like Monicajays suggestion very much. We're all agreed the soon the better, having said that, I would still do a last minute switch, after all how much stuff do you have to move on a cruise. if you are worried about creeping someone out then just ask a staff person to go with you when you ask. Maybe you could leave a nice card on the doors of the cabins you are interested and then request that said occupants contact the front desk if they are interested in switching. So many people would love a balcony. I would do the switch except that we are usually travelling with loved ones as well and totally understand being close is so nice.

Good Luck!!

This is one of the pitfalls of doing a group booking. We had the same type of issue this trip. I was able to get an inside directly across from our balcony cabin for our friend who was traveling solo, but my Mom's cabin wound up 5 cabins down. I asked here on the boards and got flamed for it. I did try the TA (an online advertiser here who I was using for the first time). They told me that unless I had the reservation number of the cabin next to us or my Mom that they couldn't help us. It definitely made me wonder if the $100 per cabin savings was worth using them instead of my usual TA. After we boarded I noticed the cabin next to us had a family with small children. No way I was going to ask them to swap with my Mom's. Too much for them to deal with, that's for sure.

If it was just the two of us traveling I really would not have an issue swapping a cabin, most especially if we had a connecting cabin. I know that would be ideal for a family.

We did a group booking on CCL back in 2008. We had the same scenario when it came to cabin assignments. BUT--- I looked on CCL's website (before final payment) and noticed that two cabins right next to ours were available. My TA was able to call her people at CCL and they allowed her to swap a two for two deal (She gave back two from her group booking to get the two we wanted).

I think what it comes down to is one of two things: either book directly choosing the exact cabins you want or 2 - book very early with any TA doing a group booking. Hopefully your TA has an easy way to look for you.

Me - if someone offered to swap me a balcony for my oceanview I'd do it in a heartbeat - you'd be my own special upgrade fairy:D

Edited by spacewoman

As long as the swap would be an upgrade to the person who had to move I would think it would be ok to ask them. I wouldn't hesitate to repack my things to move from an inside or ocean view to a balcony cabin. An equal swap is a different matter though unless the person asking did something like sweeten the deal with some cash.

Maybe you could leave a nice card on the doors of the cabins you are interested and then request that said occupants contact the front desk if they are interested in switching. So many people would love a balcony

Best Idea so far!

I'd try to arrange a solution in advance, but if nothing was able to be done, I'd probably take along a pre-printed letter explaining the entire situation and put that on the door of the people you'd like to exchange cabins with. I'd try to put it on their cabin door as soon as possible so that they get it prior to getting settled in their own cabin. Tell them that if they're interested, to give your cabin a ring. If they're not interested, they can ignore the letter. Personally, I'd rather not have someone knock on my cabin door asking me such things since it kind of puts you on the spot to respond with the added pressure of the other people standing right in front of you. But reading it via a nice letter wouldn't bother me.

I'd try to arrange a solution in advance, but if nothing was able to be done, I'd probably take along a pre-printed letter explaining the entire situation and put that on the door of the people you'd like to exchange cabins with. I'd try to put it on their cabin door as soon as possible so that they get it prior to getting settled in their own cabin. Tell them that if they're interested, to give your cabin a ring. If they're not interested, they can ignore the letter. Personally, I'd rather not have someone knock on my cabin door asking me such things since it kind of puts you on the spot to respond with the added pressure of the other people standing right in front of you. But reading it via a nice letter wouldn't bother me.

I like this approach. I would feel like I was put on the spot if someone knocked on my door ~ even if it was an upgrade. A letter would give me a little time to discuss it with DH privately.

This has been asked before....but not for an upgrade which does put a slant on things.

Remember, the people who you are asking to move might have friends or family in the vicinity also.

So odd how different folks react differently to the exact same circumstances. I am in the camp of people that would be thrilled if smeone knocked on my door and offered to switch with me and give me a nicer more expensive cabin than I paid for. I am female, and would probably feel better if I was approached by another woman. I know women as well as men can be con artists or otherwise unsavory in character, but I am confident I'd be more likely to think a request from a young mother with kids in tow was legitimate....and as long as the "switch' was done by guest relations, so that I was confident my credit card info wasnt going to be compromised, I'd be happy to accomoate the request.

terry

I agree that it would be a better idea if someone from guest services or some person from NCL would accompany you when you make the request to switch rooms. Having your wife and kids with you may also be helpful. Be sure to say you will switch after the luggage is delivered as this could pose a problem. Hope it works out for you and hope your TA could make the arrangements before you board. A call from the upgrade fairy ahead of time would guarantee they would move to an upgraded cabin especially if it would not cost them anything! Let us know how this all works out for you.

I'd be nervous about the credit card information and also would also be concerned about OBC, if I had any. I would make doubly sure that the OBC would also travel with me. You know what? I'd probably want to stay put.:o

What ship are you on and when are you cruising??

I appreciate all the input from everybody. It seems to be 50/50 on the persons feelings/reaction about being approached about the switch. I guess it really depends on who you ask, when you ask, how you ask and who is with you when you ask.

We are travelling on the Jewel out out of New Yotk on November 12th. I like the idea of having my wife and kids with us if we have to ask. This could help eliminate any type of suspicion. My ultimate goal is to try to get this taken care prior to the cruise.

However, if not, I like the idea of first talking to the person who checks us in. Maybe, offering somebody with an upgrade as they check in would not only be a pleasant surprise, but could also eliminate any interaction.

If that gets us no where, the idea of a written note on their door prevents any 'on the spot' type of decision. I like that idea, too.

Lastly, having a rep next to you (even a steward), could also eliminate any suspicion.

I will also try the roll call, too.

I understand the reluctance of making the switch. The inconvienance of the luggage transfer, switching out the room card, credit card and OBC issues/transfers and so forth. But I feel the hour or so of taking care of all of this for a chance to stay in a balcony room for a week is worth it. That's just me. Plus, for those with fear of 'being scammed' issues (me included), it isnt like its a street hussle where you may never see us again. You know where were at and it is on a ship with really no where to hide. I guess we'll find out and see. I hope one of these ideas works. We are even willing to switch to an inside room. Prefer an oceanside, but would take an inside room. I would hope someone either next or across from where our chiildren will be staying will say yes. Looking at the deck plans, there are 5 choices that would work for us.

Once again, thank you all the suggestion and idea's. I'll keep reading the suggestions and keep you all updated...