Great Stirrup Cay NCL questions

mitsugirly

I'm planning my cruise for next year and like to get pricing info before going and hoping someone can help me out with recent prices on a few things.

How much do they charge to rent snorkeling equipment? Is the snorkeling there very good? About how deep do you have to go out to find coral/iron shore?

I've read that the life vest are $5.00. Is this correct?

I've read that the BBQ is free. Does this include drinks or do you have to buy them? If so, what are the prices of sodas there? If you have a soda card, will they allow you to get soda for free?

How much are alcoholic drinks (beer and the fruity ones)

Anyone know the pricing of para sailing?

What about jet skis?

Thanks in advance for your help. Imma planner. :D :p

I hope this info helps

I'm planning my cruise for next year and like to get pricing info before going and hoping someone can help me out with recent prices on a few things.

How much do they charge to rent snorkeling equipment? The rental is$29. We always bring our own, you can buy a nice set on amazon for less than $29. Is the snorkeling there very good? Lots of fish, reef not as great. About how deep do you have to go out to find coral/iron shore? Don't know

I've read that the life vest are $5.00. Is this correct? Yes, you have to wear one, but we also bring our own. I think that is included in the $29 if you rent the snorkel equipment.

I've read that the BBQ is free. Does this include drinks or do you have to buy them? If so, what are the prices of sodas there? If you have a soda card, will they allow you to get soda for free? All beverages are extra. Last time I was there soda was $2. I believe that the soda card works there.

How much are alcoholic drinks (beer and the fruity ones) Too much.

Anyone know the pricing of para sailing? That info is on their website under excursions. I think it is around $89.

What about jet skis? also on website. I think around $150 for two people on same ski.

Thanks in advance for your help. Imma planner. :D :p

Ok so let's see here.

I would suggest purchasing your own snorkeling equipment for a couple reason's; it's yours to keep, you can use it again on other cruises, and the biggest is sanitation. Not sure about you but the snorkels see a lot of mouths. The corals if you will are not like you will see in the movies and all colorful and what not but, I will say as far as sea creatures you do see plenty, i.e. fish of all shapes and sizes, sea urchins, and occasionally rays and/or skates.

The vest is actually a snorkeling vest, a life vest will keep you at the top whether you want to be there or not. A snorkeling vest is self inflatable to create a neutral bouyancy or you can swim with it completely deflated so you can dive down. It does have an emergency pull cord to inflate it rapidly via small CO2 cartridge.

As far as food and drinks I believe it is the same as being on board for the most part as someone else stated. The other excursions have been covered as well. From what I hear the hippo slide wont be open as it's been lost at sea thanks to Irene.

**A little tip incase you get your own snorkel gear. When you first get it, clean the inside and outside lens of the mask with toothpaste. All masks come with some sort of oil/film that if not removed will cause it to fog up all the time. Sometimes you need to clean it more than once. Just squirt some basic toothpaste in there and rub it in with your fingers and rinse. After you've cleaned it a few times you could use anti-fog solution or good ol saliva. Hope this helps.

Ok so let's see here.

I would suggest purchasing your own snorkeling equipment for a couple reason's; it's yours to keep, you can use it again on other cruises, and the biggest is sanitation. Not sure about you but the snorkels see a lot of mouths. The corals if you will are not like you will see in the movies and all colorful and what not but, I will say as far as sea creatures you do see plenty, i.e. fish of all shapes and sizes, sea urchins, and occasionally rays and/or skates.

Yea, we usually bring our own mask and snorkel, but have never bought fins or the life vest. I want to carry as little as possible when we are on the islands. I usually take the mask to be able to go into the water and see what variety there is and just how far we have to go out to see the "good stuff". If we have to go out far and it has high waves, we usually go ahead and rent the equipment. Much better than carrying it all around to us. :)

The vest is actually a snorkeling vest, a life vest will keep you at the top whether you want to be there or not. A snorkeling vest is self inflatable to create a neutral bouyancy or you can swim with it completely deflated so you can dive down. It does have an emergency pull cord to inflate it rapidly via small CO2 cartridge.

Yes, I know the difference. I just called it a life vest because I was typing fast. Sorry about that.

As far as food and drinks I believe it is the same as being on board for the most part as someone else stated. The other excursions have been covered as well. From what I hear the hippo slide wont be open as it's been lost at sea thanks to Irene.

Yea, I was hearing the same thing about the Hippo slide. :( It looked like a lot of fun.

**A little tip incase you get your own snorkel gear. When you first get it, clean the inside and outside lens of the mask with toothpaste. All masks come with some sort of oil/film that if not removed will cause it to fog up all the time. Sometimes you need to clean it more than once. Just squirt some basic toothpaste in there and rub it in with your fingers and rinse. After you've cleaned it a few times you could use anti-fog solution or good ol saliva. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tip on the lens. Maybe that's why we had so many problems with it the first time we used it in St Thomas. :rolleyes: We ended up renting some that day because of it.

Do you know if you can do it after it's already been used? We've used ours since last year. I'd like to do this if it still works.

Honestly I have snorkled some awesome places in Cancun and Tulum etc.. and this is nothing like that.

Fish are off shore couple hunderd yards. Wasn't worth it to me and I lugged my own vest,mask etc from home for this island,lol.

Yea, I wouldn't think this would be anything spectacular. I've been to some awesome places too. I see GSC as just a fun filled relaxing day on the beach and in the water day, but any chance to see a few fish or something makes it a little more exciting. I just didn't know if there were any iron shore or coral around there (since that's where you'll find the little critters hiding out). :D

• 2 months later...

Hi there,

I have a couple of supplemental questions:

1. We have snorkels, but not the vests, can we rent them separately there, and if so, how much? How about fins?

2. Someone mentioned that the Hippo slide was lost at sea, did they put up a new one? I was booking excursions for our March cruise and it was one of the options there...

3. Does anyone know how much the hairbraiding is on GSC? My DD really wants to get it done, not sure if they offer it on the ship, but GSC's our first stop.

Thanks!

J

Hi there,

I have a couple of supplemental questions:

1. We have snorkels, but not the vests, can we rent them separately there, and if so, how much? How about fins?

2. Someone mentioned that the Hippo slide was lost at sea, did they put up a new one? I was booking excursions for our March cruise and it was one of the options there...

3. Does anyone know how much the hairbraiding is on GSC? My DD really wants to get it done, not sure if they offer it on the ship, but GSC's our first stop.

Thanks!

J

I did read that the hippo slide did not get lost and is in fact still there. :)

I was wondering about the hair braiding too. Anyone know the price of this?

mitsugirly,

I'll be at GSC the last week of February. I'll try to remember to give you an update. Do you still have my email address? Would love to hear from you.

Hi Mary Ann. Yep, I sure do still have it. How have you been? I would love to get updates after you go. I'm trying to plan a trip in March (which includes GSC)...IF I can get my work to let me off for 2 weeks (I only work weekends). Would LOVE to see some updated pictures if you could. Do you still have my email address?

Hi Mary Ann. Yep, I sure do still have it. How have you been? I would love to get updates after you go. I'm trying to plan a trip in March (which includes GSC)...IF I can get my work to let me off for 2 weeks (I only work weekends). Would LOVE to see some updated pictures if you could. Do you still have my email address?

I am in Florida for a quick break. Don't have your email on my laptop. If you get a moment...email me.:)

• 3 years later...