Tortoal Charters a bust

lsycko1

I can't tell you how mad I am right now. I just got off the Carnival Freedom and was supposed to have a confirmed reservation for 5 to go to the Baths. We made it off ship in plenty of time, and waited over 30 minutes, they were a no show. The ships excursions to the baths were booked so we missed out on the one trip I was really looking forward to.

It really sucked. :mad:

That's a big disappointment...so sorry for your group.

If you scan the topics page here though, you will see we have been talking about TC going under for the last month or so.

It's good to check the Ports of Call boards before an upcoming trip.

I did read a few things, but actually had confirmed and added 2 more people about a month ago?

OP, interestingly enough, I found this post from your roll call. So apparently the trip to Jost Van Dyke happened...not sure why yours didn't. That really stinks:(

I made it on the tour to Jost Van Dyke with Tortola Charters (as did a few others here). They said that since they're web site was hacked they haven't been getting the reservation requests and emails. Not sure why they haven't fixed that yet, particularly since the site comes up when you go to it. The owner (Captain Bill) is currently in the U.S. so we only got what little information his hired Captain was able to tell us.

For what it's worth, we had a great time. Well.....we thought we were going to miss the ship when one of the engines in the boat died, but that's another story....

Lori you were on the list for JVD for 5 people, we waited for you but someone mentioned to the captain that you said you were going to the Baths so we eventually convinced him to leave. This was one of my favorite excursions to date and JVD was amazing.

The captain of our boat did says their site had bee hacked and that were not receiving many of the requests for info/reservations etc. They are not out of business but definitely having site issues that they hope to have resolved soon.

Captain Bill is one of the most respected and liked operators in the BVI. It is unfortunate there have been communication problems, we've seen that with others there too. Often it's weather-related, but not always.

There are other operators servicing Road Town, and you also have the option of taking a taxi ti WE for the JVD ferry, or to CGB for a water taxi to and from JVD.

TTOL is a must have resource for BVI excursions.

Lori you were on the list for JVD for 5 people, we waited for you but someone mentioned to the captain that you said you were going to the Baths so we eventually convinced him to leave. This was one of my favorite excursions to date and JVD was amazing.

The captain of our boat did says their site had bee hacked and that were not receiving many of the requests for info/reservations etc. They are not out of business but definitely having site issues that they hope to have resolved soon.

Thanks for the update!

I have used Tortola Charters in the past. Like another poster had recently mentioned...we also had engine trouble and made it back to the ship with about 10 minutes to spare. But I chalked that up to bad luck. We are going to be back in Tortola November 10th, and all of the other charters are booked for that day...apparently there is a huge wedding that several charters are involved in. So I tried contacting Bill via his personal email address 8 days ago, and still no answer. There's more to this story than a hacked website. No phone...personal email not answered...hmmmm....I think I'll stay on Tortola this time.

The OP said he was in the US and that phone # is his cell phone, so he may not be using it, as the fees would be horrible. I think that if someone was out of business, they would have let people know, so they could make other arrangements. We will see.

Jan

Unfortunately boat issues with tour operators are fairly common. Although we all hope it won't happen on our tour :) But during the busy season, the boats get used pretty frequently. There will be issues at some point or another.

If the phone was a US cell #, it likely wouldn't work down there... or he has it turned off for fees.

Alternatively, it could be a VoIP or DSL phone. If internet goes down, and it's DSL, phone also goes down. If internet goes down, and it's VoIP of any kind...phone goes down.

And when websites get hacked, the emails sent via "contact" us are usually rerouted to some other account. If the website gets hacked, there is a pretty good chance the email account gets hacked too. This could mean he was locked out of his own email account. Could still be locked out.

If he was smart, he would have asked cruise critic people to pass on a newly registered email for them to contact instead. Worst case, I'll suggest it when I'm down there.

I too got screwed over by Tortola Charters this past week while on the Freedom. DH and I had the Baths booked through them (reservation was made back in July). We showed up well before the appointed 8:45 meeting time and waited until 9:10 before coming up with a plan B. We found Lori and her group waiting for them too. I am so disappointed---

Here's the confirmation I got from Bill back in July

Hi Robert,

Thanks for booking directly with Tortola Charters. Attached is your reservation for our Virgin Gorda Baths Tour - please review it and make sure that it is correct. On the morning of your trip, a uniformed crew member will meet you and your guests right at the Cruise Ship Area’s Exit Gate which is 300 yards away from the end of the pier - we will be there with a sign in hand that reads "Virgin Gorda Baths - Tortola Charters". Our boats are located at the nearby “Village Cay Marina” in front of the “Bat Cave Restaurant”. On your particular trip, we have additional seats available and we encourage you to invite fellow cruisers to join us by posting on your ship's Roll Call forum, http://cruisecritic.com and by inviting any new friends that you may make onboard. Sharing the trip with fellow cruisers makes for a more enjoyable experience and in addition you'll receive a free drink of your choice for all referrals. Please just have all referrals list your last name on our websites reservation form. Please use these website links when asking others to join us - http://tortolacharters.com/excursions/virgin-gorda-baths-tours and http://tortolacharters.com/reservations - thanks again.

Baths Snorkeling - http://tortolacharters.com/2010/07/21/virgin-gorda-baths-snorkeling/

I too got screwed over by Tortola Charters this past week while on the Freedom. DH and I had the Baths booked through them (reservation was made back in July). We showed up well before the appointed 8:45 meeting time and waited until 9:10 before coming up with a plan B. We found Lori and her group waiting for them too. I am so disappointed---

Here's the confirmation I got from Bill back in July

Hi Robert,

Thanks for booking directly with Tortola Charters. Attached is your reservation for our Virgin Gorda Baths Tour - please review it and make sure that it is correct. On the morning of your trip, a uniformed crew member will meet you and your guests right at the Cruise Ship Area’s Exit Gate which is 300 yards away from the end of the pier - we will be there with a sign in hand that reads "Virgin Gorda Baths - Tortola Charters". Our boats are located at the nearby “Village Cay Marina” in front of the “Bat Cave Restaurant”. On your particular trip, we have additional seats available and we encourage you to invite fellow cruisers to join us by posting on your ship's Roll Call forum, http://cruisecritic.com and by inviting any new friends that you may make onboard. Sharing the trip with fellow cruisers makes for a more enjoyable experience and in addition you'll receive a free drink of your choice for all referrals. Please just have all referrals list your last name on our websites reservation form. Please use these website links when asking others to join us - http://tortolacharters.com/excursions/virgin-gorda-baths-tours and http://tortolacharters.com/reservations - thanks again.

Baths Snorkeling - http://tortolacharters.com/2010/07/21/virgin-gorda-baths-snorkeling/

Thanks for sharing. I had a trip to JVD booked for December 8th, but after reading the posts here decided to make alternate arrangements. Just dont want to take a chance and then have to scramble around for something else to do.

I just realized there is no time listed on our confirmation. I am going to risk the trip to JVD and hope for the best, but I have a plan B beach day to fall back on. What time did you meet them at the pier?

Thanks!

I just realized there is no time listed on our confirmation. I am going to risk the trip to JVD and hope for the best, but I have a plan B beach day to fall back on. What time did you meet them at the pier?

Thanks!

My confirmation states:

Departs at 8am Tortola time and returns at 2:30pm Tortola is 1 hour ahead of EST.

Be there 15 minutes before departure time. Cost is $55pp Cash

Meetiing place Exit Gate of Cruiseship pier Uniformed crew member will be there with Sign saying "Josh Van Dyke"

I will be there!

Jan

Unfortunately boat issues with tour operators are fairly common. Although we all hope it won't happen on our tour :) But during the busy season, the boats get used pretty frequently. There will be issues at some point or another.

If the phone was a US cell #, it likely wouldn't work down there... or he has it turned off for fees.

Alternatively, it could be a VoIP or DSL phone. If internet goes down, and it's DSL, phone also goes down. If internet goes down, and it's VoIP of any kind...phone goes down.

And when websites get hacked, the emails sent via "contact" us are usually rerouted to some other account. If the website gets hacked, there is a pretty good chance the email account gets hacked too. This could mean he was locked out of his own email account. Could still be locked out.

If he was smart, he would have asked cruise critic people to pass on a newly registered email for them to contact instead. Worst case, I'll suggest it when I'm down there.

Kelly,

Remember to e-mail me on the Freedom if your tour goes or not.

Thanks,

Jan

I have used Tortola Charters in the past. Like another poster had recently mentioned...we also had engine trouble and made it back to the ship with about 10 minutes to spare. But I chalked that up to bad luck. We are going to be back in Tortola November 10th, and all of the other charters are booked for that day...apparently there is a huge wedding that several charters are involved in. So I tried contacting Bill via his personal email address 8 days ago, and still no answer. There's more to this story than a hacked website. No phone...personal email not answered...hmmmm....I think I'll stay on Tortola this time.

Totally agree. We've decided to wait a week to decide if we are going to chance TC or keep the booked CCL trip to the Baths that we made as a backup. This thread is not making me feel warm and fuzzy about TC.

Kathy

Thanks!

Would you mind posting when you get back to let us know how it went?

We are scheduled for December 8th. Thanks

Thanks!

Our departure time was 8am with a 745am check in, there was no time difference/we stayed on ships time. TC was right outside the gate with large sign saying Tortola Charters. I am not sure what is going on with the missed Bath's tour but my thoughts are there is something going on and I do feel that Bill needs to find a way to communicate the issues he is having. It's very hard when you hear different sides to a story, I know I read one review where a poster said they weren't reliable and I almost canceled based on that but I am very glad I gave it a chance because we had a great time.

My confirmation states:

Departs at 8am Tortola time and returns at 2:30pm Tortola is 1 hour ahead of EST.

Be there 15 minutes before departure time. Cost is $55pp Cash

Meetiing place Exit Gate of Cruiseship pier Uniformed crew member will be there with Sign saying "Josh Van Dyke"

I will be there!

Jan

And the post below indicates that Tortola is the same as Eastern (ship) time:confused:

Our departure time was 8am with a 745am check in, there was no time difference/we stayed on ships time. TC was right outside the gate with large sign saying Tortola Charters. I am not sure what is going on with the missed Bath's tour but my thoughts are there is something going on and I do feel that Bill needs to find a way to communicate the issues he is having. It's very hard when you hear different sides to a story, I know I read one review where a poster said they weren't reliable and I almost canceled based on that but I am very glad I gave it a chance because we had a great time.

Thanks much...and am looking forward to your review that you've started!:)

Would you mind posting when you get back to let us know how it went?

We are scheduled for December 8th. Thanks

Yes, we sure will. I'm really hoping that Bill will be there so we can discuss with him. If his business is indeed OK, we have to help him get the word out.

Archived