9 Days on the Carnival Spirit -- October 7th to 16th

iggy's mom

Do you notice if you could buy room service bottles of alcohol ? How did you like the new menu in the MDR ? ?

I didn't noticed about the room service bottles of alcohol. I actually never looked for the room service menu as when we received our first Fun Times there was a copy of the room service menu with the other flyers (the flyers for the spa specials, etc.). I just read that and put it aside in case we needed it.

The new menus in the MDR were okay. DH wasn't too thrilled with some of the changes especially the removing of the shrimp cocktail from the everyday starters. I didn't mind any of the changes as I like to try different things where as he doesn't.

Soon it was time for dinner. As we had eaten dinner at the buffet the first night, this was our first chance to meet Roddrick our waiter and his two assistants. Roddrick was always pleasant but sometime a little frazzled. I think this could be in part that one of his larger tables usually arrived later than the rest of his tables, so while most of us in his section were being served either our appetizers or the soup/salad course, they we just ordering and on a few nights this seemed to throw his timing off.

Up first, DH ordered the french onion soup and I had the smoked cheese quesadilla.

78b07556.jpg

1409ff81.jpg

For our main courses, DH tried the southern fried chicken from the new "comfort food" section. DH said it was good.

a26cb929.jpg

I had the Chicken Sicilian Style. I enjoyed it. I was glad I wasn't wearing white though, as it was messy to cut and eat lady like. :)

cbd2b7d6.jpg

For desset, DH had his favorite and I had sherbert as for some reason it is something I never buy at home but it sounded good.

9832ca51.jpg

Since we had skipped the gym earlier in the day, we for some reason decided to walk the stairs back to our room. It's much easier going down to level 3 then up to level 8! :rolleyes:

Our typical routine after dinner was to go back to the cabin, change if was had dressed up for dinner, grab our kindles and then go to the internet cafe to check emails and then usually off to the see the main show and/or one of the comedians.

This fellow was waiting for us:

d945909c.jpg

This night's show was called Singin' with the Big Band.

On this night before falling asleep we turned our clocks ahead 1 hour.

Day #3 -- Sea Day

This day was the first of our 3 sea days. On sea days, DH and I are complete opposites which why cruising is great for us. DH likes to mostly sit out on the balcony reading or playing games on his iPad, while I like to join all of the trivia contests and the other activities.

DH did join me at the TV theme trivia where he won one of these:

dfd7d9b5.jpg

The weather had started to warm up a bit. The slight breeze made it seem not too hot.

1195af30.jpg

dffbbf11.jpg

As this was Sunday, DH & I did spend part of the day watching football. The game was the Fox game (Eagles vs. Bills). We watched part of the game at the Fantail Bar and the 2nd half in the Sports Bar which was packed.

Tonight was the first elegant night of the cruise. There was a wide range in dress from tuxes and gowns to jeans.

For the starters, DH had two of these.

4febdca5.jpg

I had the Greek Farmer's Salad and the pumpkin soup.

dac4f70e.jpg

1aa2ad8b.jpg

For the main course, we each had the lobster.

214f131e.jpg

For dessert, DH had his WCMC & I had the banana split from the kid's menu.

59216ab9.jpg

The show in Pharaoh's Palace was Jazz Hot which we both enjoyed. Later in the evening we saw the adults only comedy show. JeRome was the comedian for the show we went to and we remembered him from last year on the Spirit. We liked his show just as much this year as last year. I don't remember why we didn't see the other comedian.

This was our towel animal for tonight.

1f4eaf84.jpg

Thanks for the review.

How was Keith Turner in the Piano Bar?

I liked him. I don't really have anyone to compare him to as this was the first time (I went twice) I had been to the Piano Bar on the ships. I like the way he interacted with the people there.

I liked him. I don't really have anyone to compare him to as this was the first time (I went twice) I had been to the Piano Bar on the ships. I like the way he interacted with the people there.

Just the info I was wanting to hear.:)

Wonderful preview of our cruise in 4 weeks.

Thanks for such a great review and pics!

I was wondering about the spirit 9 day cruise and where they would go.

Everyone seems to love the Spirit, and being a west coaster we are thinking we should give her a try.

We are going to be on Splendor in April which we really fell in love with last May, and can't wait to sail her again.

I love Mexico, and could easily go to cabo for three days!

Day #4 -- Cabo San Lucas #1

I think the ship was either in process of anchoring or was already anchored when we pulled back the curtains in the morning. The sun was shinning and it looked like it was going to be a beautiful day. I stepped out onto the balcony and it was already hot outside. Yippee!!

Soon we heard the CD start the announcements about the tenders. Basically if you had booked a shore excursion, your ticket told you where to meet. I assume that Pharaoh's Palace was the meeting place for all of the excursion as it was crowded in the theater.

If not on a Carnival shore excursion you had to go to the Lido deck and get a tender sticker. The CD would then call out tender ticket numbers and that was the go ahead to go down and stand in line for the tender boats.

Some pictures from the ship.

d0ef3485.jpg

a4316a50.jpg

b574497d.jpg

1c2ec422.jpg

Thanks for such a great review and pics!

I was wondering about the spirit 9 day cruise and where they would go.

Everyone seems to love the Spirit, and being a west coaster we are thinking we should give her a try.

We are going to be on Splendor in April which we really fell in love with last May, and can't wait to sail her again.

I love Mexico, and could easily go to cabo for three days!

Thank you.

DH & I sailed on the Splendor in May 2009 & enjoyed that ship too.

Great review! :) Thanks for taking the time to write it. Was the piano bar lively? Were people singing along?

Great review! :) Thanks for taking the time to write it. Was the piano bar lively? Were people singing along?

Thank you.

Yes, people were singing along. The amount of people in the bar each time I went was small (maybe 7-10 each time), but I went early in the evening. It was quite fun actually. I went in just to look around and see what the piano bar was all about and the guy playing the piano and the others in the bar got me to sing along too!

Great review! We will be on the Spirit in March. Your review is getting me even more excited! Do you remember seeing a wine tasting event at the steakhouse listed in your Fun Times?

Hope you have a great cruise!

I will check the Fun Times when I get home tonight and will post the answer. (I don't have a scanner otherwise I'd scan and post the Fun Times here.)

Archived