Currency for various ports of call

SALAD MUNCHER

We are on the QV trip next week with ports of call in Italy (Venice), Greece (Athens, Volos and Corfu), Croatia (Dubrovnik and Split), Turkey (Istanbul, Dikili and Kusadasi) and Egypt (Alexandria). I know the euro is OK in Greece and Italy, but does anyone know whether I will have to obtain Turkish Lira, Croation Kuna and Egyption pounds for spending in these other ports or will shops or bars take euros or pounds sterling for small purchases such as coffee or snacks? I am assuming if we want to spend on large items we could use our credit/debit cards? Any advice / help will be gratefully received. :)

Euros or $US will be fine everyplace but I had issues in Croatia. They will gladly take euros but will give you kunas back and never at a good rate. No shoppkeeper wants coin in any non-euro country because they cannot exchange it at their local bank for local currency.

We found that in Dubrovnik, most places would even take Euro coins.

You can always use credit cards, but don't change money on the ship as they first change to Dollars, then to the local currencey, so you lose twice. If you feel you really need local cash, use an ATM.

Stewart

Hi Salad Muncher,

We're on the cruise with you. We're taking Euros, Kuna (had some left from a previous trip) and Lira. With only one stop in Egypt we're just going to use US$ or GB£. Last time we were there they DID NOT want Egyptian pounds, but that could have changed.

Regards, Colin.

Hi Salad Muncher,

We're on the cruise with you. We're taking Euros, Kuna (had some left from a previous trip) and Lira. With only one stop in Egypt we're just going to use US$ or GB£. Last time we were there they DID NOT want Egyptian pounds, but that could have changed.

Regards, Colin.

Hi Colin, I was thinking along the same lines, but I thought it might be useful to take some Kunas as I have heard it can be difficult though not impossible to use Euros in Croatia. Not long to wait now!:D:D

Depending on your card (charges etc.), you could always withdraw from an ATM once you get there. I've done this a couple of times and it's never been extra expensive, on one occasion it was a better rate than buying currency at home. But maybe I was lucky.

Should add this was a debit card not a credit card.

Regards, Colin.

We are also on the same cruise. I am picking up a few kuna, TL, and Egyptian pounds just in case. I understand from others that in many places in Croatia that Euros are accepted and in Egypt, US$ can be used. Someone suggested to carry a bunch of US $1 bills for small souvenirs in Egypt. I'm thinking local currencies for transportation, snacks or maybe lunches. If I have any left, before getting back on board, I'll buy something small to take onboard the boat or use for tips.

Russ

Hi, Salad Muncher, Don't bother with GBP - the euro is OK for most places but the USD is more widely recognised. We had no bother in Croatia with the € BUT in several places they will give you change in the local currency. One warning though - if you are going to use the tram network in Istanbul you will need local currency to buy the tokens! We have recently come back from a very enjoyable 7 days of continuous rain at Lanercost in Cumbria! Enjoy your cruise!

Pompeycruisertoo

Hi, Salad Muncher, Don't bother with GBP - the euro is OK for most places but the USD is more widely recognised. We had no bother in Croatia with the € BUT in several places they will give you change in the local currency. One warning though - if you are going to use the tram network in Istanbul you will need local currency to buy the tokens! We have recently come back from a very enjoyable 7 days of continuous rain at Lanercost in Cumbria! Enjoy your cruise!

Pompeycruisertoo

Hi John, glad you enjoyed your time in Cumbria! Next time you're here try the area around the Duddon Valley, it is a spectacular area and the weather here has been really good, dry days with some rain during the evenings....also there are must less tourists around! :)

Thanks everyone for the tips on currencies!!

Archived