RCCL just changed our itinerary from Corsica to Cannes - Suggestions?

wantocruisemore

I just found out yesterday afternoon our Mariner itinerary for next summer has changed the Corsica stop to Cannes and the Tunis stop to Valencia. We're not pleased and are considering cancelling.

But just for the sake of argument - What is there in Cannes that would interest a family that likes historical sites? We really don't want to rent a car (one of DD's is mentally disabled). We had planned to see Corsica DIY but we're not opposed to taking a private tour if there is something worth seeing or traveling to. Ancient or Medieval are our interests.

We could live with substituting Tunis due to unrest there, but they've changed 2 ports that were full of history to ports that I can't see has that much in similarity.

I'm very much hoping that you'll get good replies for Cannes. Our Regent itinerary includes Cannes and from what I know about it, I have approximately zero interest in visiting. If you're able to get to Nice, you might enjoy it-- we like that city very much and will be spending several days post-cruise there. (One of my favorite museums in the world is there: the Chagall museum.)

Cannes is actually a decent "gateway" port to the entire French Riviera. You can simply walk (or grab a taxi) to go from the tender pier to the train station where you can can catch the regional trains that will take you anywhere along the coast (Monte Carlo is about 1 hour away). Another option (the norm for us) would be to rent a car (there are several rental car offices in downtown Cannes) and drive to places like St Paul de Vence (love this town), Antibes, Grasse, etc. If you want to go to Nice (mentioned in the previous post) there are regional trains running about twice an hour that take about 35 - 45 min each way and cost less then $10.

Hank

Is Grasse quite pleasant even if one does not like perfume?

Also: What about the two little islands off Cannes? When I read about them, they sound pleasant.

Thanks, Hank.

Ok, I am going to be honest and say that I do not like Grasse (but many others like the small town). If one is not interested in perfume (you can actually go to a perfume factory and make your own scent) then we see little reason to visit Grasse. Especially when you consider that St Paul de Vence (one of our favorite towns in the south of France) is only a 45 min drive from Cannes. As to the small islands off the coast, since we have never visited those islands we will defer to others who have first-hand experience.

Not sure this will make the OP feel better, but we have been to Corsica (twice) and to Cannes (many times) and there is no question in our mind that we would always prefer Cannes. We did enjoy the beach at Ajaccio and the Calanches are interesting for those into geology and rock formations. But would still rather be in the South of France where there are just so many options and great food.

Hank

Ok, I am going to be honest and say that I do not like Grasse (but many others like the small town). If one is not interested in perfume (you can actually go to a perfume factory and make your own scent) then we see little reason to visit Grasse. Especially when you consider that St Paul de Vence (one of our favorite towns in the south of France) is only a 45 min drive from Cannes. As to the small islands off the coast, since we have never visited those islands we will defer to others who have first-hand experience.

Not sure this will make the OP feel better, but we have been to Corsica (twice) and to Cannes (many times) and there is no question in our mind that we would always prefer Cannes. We did enjoy the beach at Ajaccio and the Calanches are interesting for those into geology and rock formations. But would still rather be in the South of France where there are just so many options and great food.

Hank

Hank are there any historical sites such as medieval castle or ancient ruins near Cannes? The histroical aspect is why DH liked the idea of Corsica. We definitely don't want the perfume route at Grasse. Prefer not to rent a car. Train that does not go too far and runs very regularly is a viable option.

What's in Nice?

Hank are there any historical sites such as medieval castle or ancient ruins near Cannes? The histroical aspect is why DH liked the idea of Corsica. We definitely don't want the perfume route at Grasse. Prefer not to rent a car. Train that does not go too far and runs very regularly is a viable option.

What's in Nice?

Argh! Now you are stressing my too old memory cells :) This region of France is certainly not a place for castles (lets be nice and call them French Chateau's) and most of the best Roman ruins are well to the west (such as Pond du Gard near Arles). DW reminds me that when we are in Greece and Turkey it is all about ancient things but in France its more abou the joie de vivre...which is to say the French culture where food and wine are taken very seriously (as is spending the time to enjoy those items). So when I think of Nice I think about their flavorful fish soup, in Marseille we think of Bouillabaise but when we are in Kusadasi its all about Ephesus. So when it comes to historical sites in (or near) Cannes we are drawing a total blank.

Hank

It turn out they changed some of Mariner's itinerary's with different ports on different dates. We can't make the June 9th sailing that still goes to Corsica and substituted Valencia for Tunis due to my DD's HS graduation.

But on a couple of the July sailings, they still have Corsica and instead of Tunis they have Sardinia. I could really get into going to Sardinia! The ship docks at Caligari and there are some museums and sites there.

I'm going to talk to DH tonight about switching to a July sailing with Sardinia. I figure Sardinia will be similar to Sicily which we loved this past summer.

If he says yes then I'll talk to RCCL tomorrow to check what cabins would be available. My DH will only sail with an aft balcony (he smokes and it's important not to disturb others, plus he loves looking at the wake at night while we enjoy a glass of wine).

It was the Monte Carlo substitution that we really did not like. Valencia we didn't think was a suitable substitue for Tunis.

Archived