Formal Night

TriciaEMTB

I'm trying to decide if I should attend Formal Night. I have never dressed up for dinner before, I live a very casual lifestyle.

I am having trouble justifying spending money on a dress I may not wear again. I also would have to buy shoes, and bring along my flat iron. I also don't like lobster.

But I want to get the most out of my first cruise. I feel like formal night is part of the experience, but as I have never had a formal dinner before I'm not even sure if I would like it.

Sooo.. What are your thoughts on formal night?

I'm trying to decide if I should attend Formal Night. I have never dressed up for dinner before, I live a very casual lifestyle.

I am having trouble justifying spending money on a dress I may not wear again. I also would have to buy shoes, and bring along my flat iron. I also don't like lobster.

But I want to get the most out of my first cruise. I feel like formal night is part of the experience, but as I have never had a formal dinner before I'm not even sure if I would like it.

Sooo.. What are your thoughts on formal night?

I love formal night. Some wear a fancy dress but honestly I usually go with a cute little black dress that is hanging up in my closet. It is nice to take picture especially on the stairs. IMO, it is what you make it!

Find a nice pair of dress slacks and a button up shirt and call it done! I would suggest that you at least try it one night so you can decide if you like it or not. It's not a requirement to spend a ton of money for clothes you will never wear again.

I also do not like lobster but they have other delicious food offered on these nights and I LOVE their desserts so it's worth it just for those!

We love formal night... We don't really dress up much either in normal day to day life. You are right. it's just part of the cruise and it's kinda fun for a night or two to dress up REALLY nicely and feel good. I wear a dress (sundress etc) most nights to dinner, but on formal nights I love dressing just a bit nicer.

BTW.. formal night is also Prime Rib night along with many other options so you can avoid the chintzy lobster tails...

I am also not big on dressing up but my husband and I do the formal nights. I usually wear a fairly simple dress, nothing expensive and material that doesn't tend to need extra care/ironing. I usually wear a pair of dress sandals. My husband usually wears dress pants and a nice collared button up shirt. So we dont go the level that some do such as a suit and tie. We are also younger, I am 28 and my husband is 34. I didn't feel under dressed or out of place on the last cruise, I was dressed up but still comfortable. It is worth doing but you shouldn't feel pressured to wear a super fancy dress if your not comfortable.

Tricia, (BTW I'm an EMT too!) just slacks and a flowy simple blouse will work (think church wear) There is so much more than lobster on the menu and you don't want to look back and wonder why you didn't go do you? Wear your hair simply and don't stress.(I just pulled my long curly, frizzy hair back with a barette and it looked fine) Some dress to the 9's most simply look nice. Don't miss out.

I enjoy the elegant nights. We ususally dress every night, but more so on elegant nights. We live in an area that has some pretty fancy dining places, so we are used to the lifestyle. The pictures taken on that night provide our family portrait for the year.

The dress code is casual elegant. Some nice dress slacks and a pretty blouse would work. You might already have these. You could also ask friends and family if they can let you borrow something. You can use a shawl, scarf and jewelry to dress anything up.

As for the iron, they do not allow those on the ships, but have one in the laundry room for use.

You really do need to experience the MDR experience. If you don't like lobster and don't want the expense of buying an outfit, you might just review the week's menus and chose another night to eat there. Either way, hope you have a great cruise.

Flat iron as in hair! Hehe :) My hair likes to poof if I don't burn it into submission or pull it back.

I think you guys are swaying me... My heart isn't set on it, but I just feel like I will look back and wish I had gone.

How long do meals in the MDR usually take?

what about for men? My husband is will not wear a suit...best it gets is khakis and a camp shirt (those short sleeve button downs with like hibiscus on them lol)...can he get away with that? And the kids? CAn my son wear a golf shirt and khakis? jeans?

what about for men? My husband is will not wear a suit...best it gets is khakis and a camp shirt (those short sleeve button downs with like hibiscus on them lol)...can he get away with that? And the kids? CAn my son wear a golf shirt and khakis? jeans?

I would at least get a button down shirt and tie for the hubby don't think the tropical look would qualify. Our kids and many others wore polos but you really should bring a pair of dockers. did see many youngsters (under 12 set) wear tennis shoes with thier slacks and really it is fine. My DS 18 at the time is disabled and had no choice but to wear tennis shoes.

I would at least get a button down shirt and tie for the hubby don't think the tropical look would qualify. Our kids and many others wore polos but you really should bring a pair of dockers. did see many youngsters (under 12 set) wear tennis shoes with thier slacks and really it is fine. My DS 18 at the time is disabled and had no choice but to wear tennis shoes.

so off topic...i am searching for info on here, but got lazy...

i see you're from Baltimore; we are cruising out of Baltimore, Carnival Pride, 11/6. Where do you park?

First of all do not stress out about it. More people are casually dressing now and of course that gets some all riled up, but seriously just wear a nice pair of pants with a top and you will be fine. It is all part of the experience and you don't want to miss it. You can even wear the some thing to both formal dinners as no one will even notice. Pull your hair back and leave the flat iron at home. You will see some people go all out and others will be much more relaxed. We used to go all out as well, but as time goes by and with people dressing much less formal, we now feel comfortable leaving the suit and beaded gowns behind. I know it angers some but Carnival and Royal Caribbean seem to have certainly relaxed the dress code.

Definitely try it! As others said, you don't have to wear a dress. A nice pair of slacks or capris, a pretty shirt, a pair of flats, and some fake bling blink around your neck is all it takes! Heck, that IS dressed up for me! (I work from home in my PJs...)

And don't worry about your hair. I'll bet you can figure out a way to manage it. GO! :)

i see you're from Baltimore; we are cruising out of Baltimore, Carnival Pride, 11/6. Where do you park?

Actually we have only cruised out of Florida ports so far. I hope to book a cruise out of Balt. for me and DS this summer. DS uses a wheelchair so actually would be easier for us to get a ride from family or do a shuttle. I can't leave DS to go park so a shuttle is much easier. only about a 40min drive for us. My family has a vacation home in central Florida so our cruises tend to have a Disney layover involved.

My husband just wears a pair of Khaki's and a button shirt. Never has wore a tie or suit. He never feels out of place.

I just wear a nice pair of slacks or capri's and a nice shirt and sandals.

You will not feel out of place. There will be some dressed in tuxes and long dresses, but most will be dressed similar to you.

Claudia

they changed it to elegant night. I go for comfort, low heels and cool dress and I told hubby no jacket required anymore. He only wore it into the dinning room then removed it. After being out in the sun all day suit jackets can be a bit painful. I do enjoy looking at all of the young couples dressed up doing pictures, young love is always beautiful. Think cocktail party, as long as you are not in jeans or shorts you will be fine.

Tricia, (BTW I'm an EMT too!) just slacks and a flowy simple blouse will work (think church wear) There is so much more than lobster on the menu and you don't want to look back and wonder why you didn't go do you? Wear your hair simply and don't stress.(I just pulled my long curly, frizzy hair back with a barette and it looked fine) Some dress to the 9's most simply look nice. Don't miss out.

I'm an EMT too!! Needless to say I completely understand the casual wear as the norm. My sister recently got married and I wanted to get a new dress for her big day. When I found when I liked I said I could wear it on cruise elegant night too. :D I love to dress up occasionally so I love having this dress to wear on a cruise. I usually wear "church clothing" on the other night. There is nothing wrong with slacks and a top. Have fun.

Go ahead and try it - you might be surprised at how nice it is. I don't eat lobster either but there are a lot of other menu choices. I like the fact that now that the "formal" nite is relaxed to "elegant" nite I don't have to worry about packing a gown or cocktail dress - a sun dress would do fine. Have fun with it! :)

I am going on a cruise next month and today I went to the mall and found a very nice dress for $5.00 at J.C.Penny. So you don't have to spend a lot. On my first cruise I found one for $20.00. I say go for it, it's fun to dress up.

And, lobster isn't the only thing they serve. You'll find something you like!

I wear black slacks and a pretty top and flat shoes. Last cruise I only brought those shoes and sandals.

DH only brings Dockers and "Camp Shirts". I try to have him wear his most elegant one for CE night.:) Usually he only brings a pair of black walking shoes for a cruise.

We are at the less dressy end of what Carnival allows.

After lunch that night's menu will be posted outside the MDR. Some ships allow you to access the menus on the TV in your stateroom.

DW and I enjoy Elegant Nights very much. We do dress, with DW wearing a very nice cocktail dress (long dresses do not work on 4'-9" frames) and I wear my tuxedo.

Some folks go quite casually, but the majority of folks at least dress up somewhat.

The menu includes a lot of other dishes beside seagoing cockroach. Yes, I do not like that varmint one little bit. And there is always WARM CHOCOLATE MELTING CAKE!

Doc

Archived