What to do in Belize???

sarar

I will be visiting Belize in January 2012 on the Crown Princess and was wondering if anybody has any suggestion on what to do in Belize. I have never visited this place before and I'm also a part-time wheelchair user with some mobility issues, so no caving, tubbing, zipling, diving or snorkelling. I am doing private tours in Cozumel and Roatan and was looking for one here, but the ones they have do not suit.

I would appreciate any suggestions that people have.

Remember this is a tender port--I would play it by ear, just to make sure the water isn't too ruff. You may not be able to get onto the tender. There are lots of tours available at the port. Maybe just a sightseeing tour of the area. Most tours our quite a distance from the port either must travel by boat, bus or van.

Unfortunately, there aren't many options other than the ones you mentioned that you can't do. In my opinion, Belize City is not the place for a city tour. Some may disagree but it is not a pretty city at all. To see the beauty of Belize you need to travel at least an hour on one of the tours (but those tours are the ones you can't do), but like the other poster stated, the ruins may be your only option. We have done just about every tour Belize has to offer and did do the Lamanai mayan ruins. It is a long drive by bus then another long ride by boat on a river then remember, you have the 20 minutes tender ride that can be rough, depending on the weather. I would not venture outside of the gates of Tourism Village without a tour for sure!

I would suggest reading over all of the ship's tours again and see if anything appeals to you. Unlike other Carribean ports, I don't remember seeing many options to book "on the spot" in tourism village. I think your best bet is to have a plan beforehand.

OP,

Which date in Jan? We are on Jan 21 sailing with brother-in-law in similar shape as you. Will have a scooter on board but limited mobility once ashore. Difficult to tell about the excursions what is doable. Ruins I have been to have a LOT of walking so I was surprised to see that suggested.

OP,

Which date in Jan? We are on Jan 21 sailing with brother-in-law in similar shape as you. Will have a scooter on board but limited mobility once ashore. Difficult to tell about the excursions what is doable. Ruins I have been to have a LOT of walking so I was surprised to see that suggested.

I think the ruins were suggested because out of all of the options, that is the better choice with limited mobility. I don't think it is a good idea but really, there isn't anything else I can think of. Unfortunately, Belize is not the port if you have limited mobility. I think the best thing to do is call the cruise line directly and speak to someone in the shore excursion department. You may have to call a few times to actually get someone that knows the shore excursions well enough but they may be able to help out with this question.

Thank you WorldGallery for your reply. I had a feeling I wouldn't be able to do much here in Belize so will probably just have a look round the Tourism Village and nearby area, but I like to get off the ship just to be able to say I have touched down!!

Archived