Having Second Thoughts about Miami Port

2boyzmom

Hi everyone. We booked a cruise for next Feb. leaving from Miami ( new NCL Jewel) and am having second thoughts. Beleive it or not- here in NY there is only ONE AIRLINE that flys direct to Miami (AA) and they want $381.00 for a ticket!

So- if we leave from FLL it's cheaper and can leave from a small local airport. The problem is- how do we do all this hustle and bustle with 6 of us ( 2 boys age 4 and 6 by then). I don't mind doing the car rental thing going- but after the cruise- then what? How do we get back to FLL? Ugh- just sounds like a big PIA. We have never left from Miami and am getting turned off with hotel rates, and all the shuttle issues...

Fort Lauderdale isn't very far from the Port of Miami as I remember. Before you throw in the towel do a little research and you'll likely find a shuttle to Miami, a lot of Miami cruisers fly in and out of Fort Lauderdale.

Take Continental direct from Newark to Miami; they have several flights a day. I just did it for my trip on the Spirit; in fact, got to the airport early on the return from the ship and made the 11:30 flight by going standby (had tickets for the 2pm flight). Enjoy

Take a cab or two to the Sheraton on Brickle and pick up a Budget Rental Car there. Make sure you reserve it ahead of time. Then go to South Beach or somewhere for brunch and off to the airport. Really it isn't that big of a hassle. And just think of the money you save. We ALWAYS fly into FLL. We drive from our house to Oakland (about 2 to 3 hours drive) and then fly from Oakland to FLL the next day. Even with the extra time and hotel we still come out way way way ahead!!! ;)

Hi 2boyzmom,

Are you booked on the 2/19/06 Jewel Western cruise? If so, I have roll call started and would love to have you join us.

I have been checking airfares from Providence to Miami and have found the fares to be high also (3 of us traveling). We are thinking of booking into Lauderdale and having a car service shuttle us to/from the ship. I will research costs/savings based upon doing it this way and let you know...it may be cheaper in the long run.

Tracy

The cruises leaving from NY (NCL cruises) are 10+ days and cannot take first grader out of school twice next year ( booked Disneyworld for Halloween week :) ) Anyway- we will probably do the FLL route. We are on Long Island and newark is totally out of the way. Southwest flights to FLL are reasonable. I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining- I just want everything to go smoothly. yes Tracy- we are booked 2/19/06. will check out the roll call !!! I know that is Presidents week- so to expect more crowds thank usual. Looks like the airlines increase rates that week too :(

The cruises leaving from NY (NCL cruises) are 10+ days and cannot take first grader out of school twice next year ( booked Disneyworld for Halloween week :) ) Anyway- we will probably do the FLL route. We are on Long Island and newark is totally out of the way. Southwest flights to FLL are reasonable. I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining- I just want everything to go smoothly. yes Tracy- we are booked 2/19/06. will check out the roll call !!! I know that is Presidents week- so to expect more crowds thank usual. Looks like the airlines increase rates that week too :(

FYI - I believe the Spirit will be doing seven day from NYC starting feb 19. With you going to Disney in Oct not sure the Fl/Bahamas itinerary would be the best. But no airfare and no airports in winter :eek:

As long as you can save more then $25 pp flying into FLL it should work. At a minmum you can get transfers from NCL. With 3 or more of you you can get a shared car service or rent a car and drop it downtown Miami.

If SW does not work there is JetBlue out of JFK.

FLL does sound like a good idea, but you may want to plan extra time to get to Miami because that weekend (2/19/06) the traffice in Miami will likely be terrible because of the Miami Int'l Boat Show, the Collins Ave. Boat Show and the Arts Festival in Cocoanut Grove are all going on then. Just plan ahead.

Keep an eye on JetBlue for when those tickets first go on sale. Even though it's a busy week, pricing far in advance is still pretty good. They work 7 months out, so probably sometime in July or August they should go on sale. We got a good deal president's week 2003.

It's still flying to FLL, but Miami is actually closer to FLL than you are to LaGuardia or JFK.

We prefer sailing out of NY as well, but even the new Spirit 7 day looks like it is more expensive than the Jewel.

FLL does sound like a good idea, but you may want to plan extra time to get to Miami because that weekend (2/19/06) the traffice in Miami will likely be terrible because of the Miami Int'l Boat Show, the Collins Ave. Boat Show and the Arts Festival in Cocoanut Grove are all going on then. Just plan ahead.

I agree at least an extra day :eek: Flying in Feb, holiday weekend, if anything hapens to your flight the day of the cruise you may in fact miss the ship. The next flight out will already be full and no interline agreements for SW or Jetblue.

If you add airfare, rental car, food, and hotel - is the Spirit more expensive. The fare may be but total cost will be far less.

All that said I would go for the Jewel and it's itinerary before the Spirit's in Feb. Fl can be cold then.

We will definitely go the day before. Always Always fly the day before. Especially with NY weather! Southwest leaves from airport here on Long Island (20 mins. from home) with direct flights. So, we don't have to deal with NYC airports.... Thanks everyone.

I don't know the details since we just drove up from Key West to catch the Sun in January, but some folks on the ship were flying out of FLL. They had rented a car for the trip from FLL to the ship (they spend a couple of days in FLL before departure) but bought an airport transfer from NCL. I believe it was 15 bucks.

Clay

Take Continental direct from Newark to Miami; they have several flights a day. I just did it for my trip on the Spirit; in fact, got to the airport early on the return from the ship and made the 11:30 flight by going standby (had tickets for the 2pm flight). Enjoy

It would take many hours & lots of $$$ to get from Ft. Salonga, N.Y (which is way out on Long Island ) to Newark or even LaGuardia & Kennedy for that matter..Believe that the suggestion of using FLL & taking the shuttle to the Port is a good one..

Several years ago we found a list of nice hotels, for friends, that were not that expensive, close to the Port & had shuttle service to the Port..Sorry I don't remember the names but you might try investigating some of the On-Line Hotel sights...Good Luck & Happy Cruising

We almost always fly to FLL for our Miami cruises. We like the airport and the location better. We rent a car, stay the night before, and drive to the car rental place the day of the cruise. They will shuttle you to the ship. It's a little hassel but usually less expensive than going into Miami. You can also get a shuttle via NCL. Contact your TA and ask for a price. The cruise lines often bring passengers into FLL on their air/sea packages so it's no big deal.

Take a flight from Islip to BWI (Baltimore-Washington International) and then a direct flight from BWI to FLL or MIA. I don't know how it works out dollar-wise, though. Last time I checked prices from Islip to BWI, I think it was like $60 one-way. I cannot tell you off-hand what it would cost to go from BWI to Florida.

Archived