Conquest or Magic

Kevin308

I am thinking about taking the wife and kids on a cruise. What real advantages will Magic have over the Conquest? The kids will be 7 and 12.

Background I live in Shreveport so the drive to Galveston or New Orleans is the same either way. I grew up in Texas so I would love to sail out of Galveston but I am not sure magic is worth the extra money. Sailing out of New Orleans the cruise looks cheaper. The only advantage I can think of right now is Magic is new and I can park my car at my Aunts in Galveston.

So will Magic be worth the extra cash?

Hotels in Galveston will be a lot cheaper too. I am up in Dallas so if its more than $100 cheaper, I will drive to New Orleans.

Magic has the rope course and has waterworks and a serenity area and has the pay spa area. Red Frog pub and the pasta lunch station at lunch (its pay Italian for dinner).

So several new things.

I have Magic booked once and Conquest booked twice after that.

I am thinking about taking the wife and kids on a cruise. What real advantages will Magic have over the Conquest? The kids will be 7 and 12.

Background I live in Shreveport so the drive to Galveston or New Orleans is the same either way. I grew up in Texas so I would love to sail out of Galveston but I am not sure magic is worth the extra money. Sailing out of New Orleans the cruise looks cheaper. The only advantage I can think of right now is Magic is new and I can park my car at my Aunts in Galveston.

So will Magic be worth the extra cash?

I have never been on the Conquest but we booked the Magic over the Conquest because of the water park, the ropes course and the sports deck. Our group will have 4 adults and 6 kids ranging from 14-3 years old. the Magic just seemed to offer more activities. Also, the Magic has a new type of room called the Deluxe OceanView room that can sleep upto 5 and has 2 bathrooms - one with a toilet, sink and shower and one that has a sink and jr tub! This was a major selling point for us! Good luck and I'm sure your will have fun no matter which cruise you pick!:p

I am debating this choice as well!

I am planning on a 2013 cruise to celebrate my 40th B-day.

My debate is this...Magic, which will still be a rather new ship and the activities seem great.

OR Conquest which will be newly refurbished with the 2.0 updates in 2012!

I have sailed out of Galveston several times, so not much to that. But never been to N.O....so i could actually make that part of the celebration.

Any input/opinions would be great to hear!

Also....anyone have reviews or links to reviews of Magic (talking the long...photo filled....review).

Thanks!

We've sailed on the Conquest - my kids love that ship!

We currently have 2 cruises booked on Magic. One just for us, one for the entire family. Kids are 6, 11 and 17.

Looking at booking the Conquest again after 2.0 so we can sail out of N.O. I think it would be cool to sail down the Mississippi...

I've sailed on both ships and if I were you, sailing with kids, I'd definately book the Magic. The waterworks area for all ages of kids is really something! I even enjoyed parts of the Sports Deck and that's not normally my thing. The Italian restaurant is awesome and the Red Frog Pub had the best drink on the ship.

With equal distance to both ports, you are certainly better off with the Magic.

We just switched our reservations from the Conquest to the Magic. We live in San Antonio and had looked forward to leaving out of NOLA. But we have been on the Conquest before and just did the Liberty this summer. The Conquest class ships are not our favorite. The floor plan is so confusing.

We figured the money saved from airfare and hotel (we have a condo in Galveston) would make up the price difference of the Magic. Also, we will have 3 full sea days on either. The Magic will offer more for our 10 year old girls to do.

I think any cruise is a great thing. But we wil be giving the Magic a try

It is very cool to sail down the Mississippi. If the boat leaves at 5, you don't reach the Gulf till about midnight.

We've sailed out of Galveston every time and I love how close it is, but we love NO and have decided we need to try sailing from there just for the Mississippi experience :)

I love the Conquest...have cruised on her 6 times and will definitely cruise on her again. :) I'll be on the Magic next month but can't compare the two just yet. I will say that parking in New Orleans is much higher than in Galveston....even moreso if you have free parking available in Galveston! So that is something to consider. Also, I think the Magic has more features that your kids will love than Conquest has. If I were you, I would go with Magic. The difference in cost between the two probably won't be that much, when you factor in parking and other expenses. By the way, I live an hour east of you, and we go to Shreveport all the time! So Hi Neighbor! :D

Can't comment on the Magic until my review at the end of November but as for the Conquest....my favorite ship thus far. 4 times we graced her and loved every single cruise. 2.0 will make her even better I would think. Hate to see the Conquest move to NO...wrong! Welcome Magic! You'll have a great time regardless.

I liked the Magic a lot more then I thought I would. The water park area is great, so are all the dining choices. I even had fun on the rope course. It is a big ship and there was plenty to do. I do enjoy the Conquest class, but the Magic had more to offer.

The Family Oceanview cabins sound like a good deal for four people.

Archived