Probably dumb computer question

Flick

My wife and I are exchanging electronic gifts this Christmas. I will get the new Kindle 3G wi-fi unit and she will get a new laptop with wi fi. These units will be new for us so here is my dumb question. When I sail on the Spirit in March do I still have to buy internet minutes to use these devices in our room or on the balcony?? I truely have no idea.

If you want to access the internet to check email, download new books, etc then yes you will need the internet access

If all your doing is reading books already on the kindle, looking at pictures and other non internet tasks then you don't need the internet minutes.

The answer depends on what you actually want to do with the devices. Regarding the laptop, if you intend to go on the internet, send and receive emails, download files, etc. you will need to purchase some sort of plan from Carnival. If you just intend to use it to backup your digital camera, watch movies already on your computer, word processing, etc. then no Internet is necessary.

Regarding the Kindle, if you already have the books on them that you intend on reading, then you really don't need internet access. If you want to be downloading books from the Kindle market and you are not picking up Amazon 3G coverage, then you'd need to connect to the Carnival wifi (and purchase minutes). I'm not familiar if Amazon 3G coverage has a signal at sea. Here's the map I found.

62.-Kindle-3g-coverage-map.jpg

Keep in mind, the browser on the Kindle is pretty rudimentary and probably not worth the time, money, and effort.

FLICK -

Have you checked out the new Kindle FIRE yet? It looks very cool, thinking of picking one up for our daughter... You can download books, movies and games for it...for just 199. Its almost like an Ipad, just alot cheaper.

The only downfall for reading on the Kindle Fire is that for those of us used to the Kindle e-ink technology, it's not available on the Fire. And, at only 8GB internal memory, it's much more limited storage-wise than the iPad, from my understanding anyway. I don't own an iPad but my daughter does and I know the Kindle Fire will be much lighter and easier to hold, so that's a plus.

While it looks enticing, I'm going to wait and see what kind of bugs need to be worked out before I consider buying one.

I was able to download onto my Kindle at least part of the time but I don't remember where. And of course if you bring it on shore in more places you won't have any trouble.

I love my kindle, but am thinking of also getting the Fire. Not for book reading though- I like the e-print for that.

I went today to look at laptops and was very disappointed. First of all, my wife said she would like a tablet but I thought I would get her a full-blown computer. Now the fact is, she will use our home computer for much of her stuff and she really probably won't use the laptop as much as I thought. Also, by the time I add in all the accessories she needs (mouse,case, etc.) it becomes quite a bit of money fopr what will be limited use. So now I'm back to the Kindle Fire which I think is more practical for her usage. Not trying to be cheap but practical since she will be completely surprised.

I went today to look at laptops and was very disappointed. First of all, my wife said she would like a tablet but I thought I would get her a full-blown computer. Now the fact is, she will use our home computer for much of her stuff and she really probably won't use the laptop as much as I thought. Also, by the time I add in all the accessories she needs (mouse,case, etc.) it becomes quite a bit of money fopr what will be limited use. So now I'm back to the Kindle Fire which I think is more practical for her usage. Not trying to be cheap but practical since she will be completely surprised.

If she says she wants a tablet- the surprise will be a happy one if she gets a tablet. If she gets a laptop- maybe or maybe not. The KF is being talked up a lot- I have one ordered. We'll all see in a few short weeks.

ahh..there is always something...I didn't know it only had 8gb internal... of course not much for movies...but it would hold a TON of books...

But it has unlimited cloud storage for all amazon content.

I have pre-ordered the Fire - the wait is killing me!!! :mad:

It is a glass screen like the iPad and the Nookcolor. You can get a "matte" finish screen protector to cut down on the glare.

I have one on my Nookcolor and I can use it outdoors if I am in the shade -- screen porch, under an umbrella, etc.

I have also ordered the Kindle Fire. Will see how that goes in November on the Dream

My wife and I are exchanging electronic gifts this Christmas. I will get the new Kindle 3G WI-FI unit and she will get a new laptop with WI FI. These units will be new for us so here is my dumb question. When I sail on the Spirit in March do I still have to buy Internet minutes to use these devices in our room or on the balcony?? I truly have no idea.

I have one of the newer Kindle WI-FI's all I do is use it to read books. I have never had any trouble down loading books from Amazon while at sea. I have done this from Puerto Rico, St. Martin, St. Thomas and Cozumel. As others have said, if you actually want to get on the Internet with your net book or laptop, or whatever you will need to purchase minutes. We usually purchase a 60 minute package for a 1 week cruise, because we only check quickly to see if we have any email from our children or grand children. The rest is unimportant until we are back to home port. Downloading photos, editing, etc. can be done while NOT on-line. ENJOY!!! I love my Kindle SO much DH finally got one.:D By the way I can read my Kindle in full sun, with or without sun glasses. If you read for long periods of time (which we both do) the "ink" style that Kindle uses is MUCH easier on your eyes, than the "back-lite" style. The Back Light style is like a computer screen and makes your eyes tire more easily.

Archived