Halloween Feature: Share Your Scariest Cruise Story.

Dan Askin

Halloween is approaching ... and we're dying to know: What's the scariest thing that's ever happened to you on a cruise? Share your tale -- if you dare -- and we may feature it in an upcoming story. One tip: Make us feel like we were there ... details are appreciated!

I love crossing the North Sea by ferry, and, in the '70s, persuaded my sister to come with me for a two night break from Hull to Amsterdam. In those days, sister hadn't sailed on a ferry where you slept, so she was a little nervous- something about the ship sinking if she took her eyes away from the horizon?

The sleeping accommodation was in couchettes, with curtains to separate them from the aisle. Sis, still saying she thought we might sink, managed to fall asleep; I took a little longer, enjoying the bouncy movement of the ferry over the rough North Sea.

Screaming and yelling woke us, and sis leapt up, yelling:"We're sinking!"

I jumped down from my top bunk, and found I was up to my ankles in water. In the gloom, with the rocking of the ship, it was impossible to see what was happening, but the water was growing deeper. As we'd had to sleep in our clothes in these open bunks, we grabbed a bag and followed the screaming....

The first room we came to was brilliantly lit. Lying on the floor, in four inches of water, was a handcuffed man, with another man kneeling on his chest. Two other men were standing by, with their hands on their hips.

"GET BACK" they yelled at us.

By this time, sis had lost it, and we somehow ran through the water to the other end of the couchette corridor.

Here, the water ended, and puzzled passengers, playing card games, stopped and stared at us, rushing out panic stricken.

Eventually, a crew member rescued us, took us to a proper cabin, and told us what had happened....a drunken youth had pulled the sprinkler system from the roof of our corridor, and the water was pouring out, and not escaping because of the high sills across the fire doors. We stayed in the cabin until reaching Amsterdam, where we were on a tour for the rest of the day.

The sailing home was quiet, but in the middle of the night someone stole my sister's sheepskin coat from her bunk as she slept.

The experience put my sister off cruising, although she's often been on the ferries, but not an overnighter, preferring to drive down to Dover and cross in daylight.. 2 years ago, she tried a fortnight on Fred Olsen's Balmoral....a little nervously....and is now a cruise convert, looking to book her fourth.....;)

Jo.

I love crossing the North Sea by ferry, and, in the '70s, persuaded my sister to come with me for a two night break from Hull to Amsterdam. In those days, sister hadn't sailed on a ferry where you slept, so she was a little nervous- something about the ship sinking if she took her eyes away from the horizon?

The sleeping accommodation was in couchettes, with curtains to separate them from the aisle. Sis, still saying she thought we might sink, managed to fall asleep; I took a little longer, enjoying the bouncy movement of the ferry over the rough North Sea.

Screaming and yelling woke us, and sis leapt up, yelling:"We're sinking!"

I jumped down from my top bunk, and found I was up to my ankles in water. In the gloom, with the rocking of the ship, it was impossible to see what was happening, but the water was growing deeper. As we'd had to sleep in our clothes in these open bunks, we grabbed a bag and followed the screaming....

The first room we came to was brilliantly lit. Lying on the floor, in four inches of water, was a handcuffed man, with another man kneeling on his chest. Two other men were standing by, with their hands on their hips.

"GET BACK" they yelled at us.

By this time, sis had lost it, and we somehow ran through the water to the other end of the couchette corridor.

Here, the water ended, and puzzled passengers, playing card games, stopped and stared at us, rushing out panic stricken.

Eventually, a crew member rescued us, took us to a proper cabin, and told us what had happened....a drunken youth had pulled the sprinkler system from the roof of our corridor, and the water was pouring out, and not escaping because of the high sills across the fire doors. We stayed in the cabin until reaching Amsterdam, where we were on a tour for the rest of the day.

The sailing home was quiet, but in the middle of the night someone stole my sister's sheepskin coat from her bunk as she slept.

The experience put my sister off cruising, although she's often been on the ferries, but not an overnighter, preferring to drive down to Dover and cross in daylight.. 2 years ago, she tried a fortnight on Fred Olsen's Balmoral....a little nervously....and is now a cruise convert, looking to book her fourth.....;)

Jo.

Loved your story! Well told! :D

Archived