PLEASE tell me what I am missing....

happy cruzin

DH was VERY excited yesterday - he got an email about booking the Breakaway. So....after dinner and a little discussion, we sat down at the computer to check it out.

Love the ship!! But - the itinerary seems odd to me :cool: - so I can't help but wonder if am I missing something :eek: ????

From our research - it looks like at the Breakway only doing one itinerary. Going from NYC to Bermuda....staying there 3 days and then returning to NYC?? :confused: We have never been to Bermuda - so it may be the most perfect port ever....I don't know :o.

It just seems that the pricing is high - to only go to Bermuda and back. So please tell me......WHAT am I missing??!?!?!?!

That's the typical Bermuda cruise. A lot of folks love them. You get a sea voyage over, your ship turns into your hotel, and then a sea voyage back home.

Prices for the new ship will be high, then market forces will probably take over. Gorgeous ship!:D

AGREED - on both ;)!!

So - maybe I need to be educated about Bermuda :cool:.

Is there something that makes it special to warrant 3 days there?? I can only compare it to other ports we have visited - and I love many of them (St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Aruba, Curacao) but I don't think I would want to spend 3 consecutive days at any of them :o.

AGREED - on both ;)!!

So - maybe I need to be educated about Bermuda :cool:.

Is there something that makes it special to warrant 3 days there?? I can only compare it to other ports we have visited - and I love many of them (St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Aruba, Curacao) but I don't think I would want to spend 3 consecutive days at any of them :o.

There was a thread at the beginning of October covering those that love Bermuda and why. And are extremely thrilled the new ship is headed there. You may want to hop over to this thread and check it out.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1496623

There was a thread at the beginning of October covering those that love Bermuda and why. And are extremely thrilled the new ship is headed there. You may want to hop over to this thread and check it out.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1496623

Oh! I must have missed that one :o. I will go check it out - thanks! ;)

Ive been on 2 cruises in my lifetime. One from Miami to Southern Caribbean and the other to Bermuda.

For Bermuda, I loved that we had 3 days there and were able to explore everywhere! We didnt have to be back on board at any time in particular. Being on NCL, we were also given vouchers (for minimal cost..I think $5 for a $25 and $10 for a $50) to eat at any one of many restaurants on the island, if you didnt want to get back to the ship for a meal (I suggest the Carriage House!!).

We docked in St George. Around the pier are several beaches, horse carriage rides, shopping, restaurants, water sports, glass bottom cruises, million dollar row cruise (seeing the ocean fron million dollar homes), snorkeling, diving etc.. etc... We took a bus from the depot (about 100 yards from the ship) to the Bermuda Zoo & Aquarium and over to Hamilton (about 20 minute ride). Hamilton is a busy shopping/business district. There is plenty to do in Bermuda (google Bermuda Tourism) and not having to get back to the ship by 4:00pm, you can experience it all. The entire island is something like 14 miles long and packed with touristy things to do and historic caves and forts!! Although my family isnt too into the bar scene, may cruisers stayed on shore during at night at the bars (cheaper than on board!). Because you can literally stay off the ship for days if you choose, the ship is relatively empty for those days docked. Plenty of space by the pool, plenty of seating at the shows etc.. You will notice going home how crowded the ship becomes when people are back on board at sea.

Between the Miami multi stop cruise and a long stay for 3 days (anywhere, not just Bermuda), I would prefer the long stay.

Ive been on 2 cruises in my lifetime. One from Miami to Southern Caribbean and the other to Bermuda.

For Bermuda, I loved that we had 3 days there and were able to explore everywhere! We didnt have to be back on board at any time in particular. Being on NCL, we were also given vouchers (for minimal cost..I think $5 for a $25 and $10 for a $50) to eat at any one of many restaurants on the island, if you didnt want to get back to the ship for a meal (I suggest the Carriage House!!).

We docked in St George. Around the pier are several beaches, horse carriage rides, shopping, restaurants, water sports, glass bottom cruises, million dollar row cruise (seeing the ocean fron million dollar homes), snorkeling, diving etc.. etc... We took a bus from the depot (about 100 yards from the ship) to the Bermuda Zoo & Aquarium and over to Hamilton (about 20 minute ride). Hamilton is a busy shopping/business district. There is plenty to do in Bermuda (google Bermuda Tourism) and not having to get back to the ship by 4:00pm, you can experience it all. The entire island is something like 14 miles long and packed with touristy things to do and historic caves and forts!! Although my family isnt too into the bar scene, may cruisers stayed on shore during at night at the bars (cheaper than on board!). Because you can literally stay off the ship for days if you choose, the ship is relatively empty for those days docked. Plenty of space by the pool, plenty of seating at the shows etc.. You will notice going home how crowded the ship becomes when people are back on board at sea.

Between the Miami multi stop cruise and a long stay for 3 days (anywhere, not just Bermuda), I would prefer the long stay.

That would be interesting. But...the disconnect for me seems to be using the cruise ship as the transportation to Bermuda :cool:.

Playing devil's advocate here....if you want to spend that much time in Bermuda - why not just go to Bermuda?? For us it isn't making sense to pay "new ship prices" for a cruise that becomes a stationary hotel for 3 days. :o :cool:

That would be interesting. But...the disconnect for me seems to be using the cruise ship as the transportation to Bermuda :cool:.

Playing devil's advocate here....if you want to spend that much time in Bermuda - why not just go to Bermuda?? For us it isn't making sense to pay "new ship prices" for a cruise that becomes a stationary hotel for 3 days. :o :cool:

If you check hotel and restaurant prices in Bermuda you'll quickly find out that even with the high fares on the Breakaway, cruising to Bermuda will cost you a whole lot less than staying at a hotel...plus you don't have to pay airfare, and you get to enjoy cruising to and from the island.

PS...the restaurant vouchers mentioned by the poster Disney1975 were discontinued several years ago.

We've been going to Bermuda regularly for more than 20 years, and in fact we're going for the second time this year on Sunday.

If you check hotel and restaurant prices in Bermuda you'll quickly find out that even with the high fares on the Breakaway, cruising to Bermuda will cost you a whole lot less than staying at a hotel.

Ahhh...then that is definatley one piece of the puzzle that we were missing! I had no idea that was the case ;) .

Thanks!

"Being on NCL, we were also given vouchers (for minimal cost..I think $5 for a $25 and $10 for a $50) to eat at any one of many restaurants on the island, if you didnt want to get back to the ship for a meal."

Is this still going on?

"Being on NCL, we were also given vouchers (for minimal cost..I think $5 for a $25 and $10 for a $50) to eat at any one of many restaurants on the island, if you didnt want to get back to the ship for a meal."

Is this still going on?

No...it was discontinued several years ago.

We have sailed to Bermuda nine times now. The sole reason is that it is cheaper (generally) to sail to Bermuda then fly there for a land based vacation. However, DH and I have agreed that we want to hear more about the Breakaway before we book anything. The TA doesn't work for us both from time and price...But will the Breakway be worth the drive to NYC?? Don't know..

We have sailed to Bermuda nine times now. The sole reason is that it is cheaper (generally) to sail to Bermuda then fly there for a land based vacation. However, DH and I have agreed that we want to hear more about the Breakaway before we book anything. The TA doesn't work for us both from time and price...But will the Breakway be worth the drive to NYC?? Don't know..

As I stated before - I am not familar with Bermuda, at all! :o

But - do you have any idea why?? :confused:

As I stated before - I am not familar with Bermuda, at all! :o

But - do you have any idea why?? :confused:

Virtually nothing is manufactured or grown in Bermuda. Everything consumed or used has to be imported from a great distance, making it extremely expensive.

Bermuda is one of the most isolated inhabited islands in the world.

The Breakaway pricing at first is much like the Oasis of the Seas was, "elevated"! It's "feeling the market" for the ship. It'll be interesting if Bermuda doesn't improve transportation from the West End. There's times when the Explorer of the Seas will be there with the Breakaway. I just can't visualize 8,000 passengers trying to get anywhere with what's available now. Besides taking a ship to Bermuda, renting is the other most reasonable way to visit the island. Just Google "Bermuda Rentals". Don't forget to add the average of $170 per person for port taxes and fees when pricing out Bermuda cruises.

Virtually nothing is manufactured or grown in Bermuda. Everything consumed or used has to be imported from a great distance, making it extremely expensive.

Bermuda is one of the most isolated inhabited islands in the world.

Very true!!

We were in Bermuda on our honeymoon....I got married very young, was not well traveled (that is an understatement....the flight to Bermuda was my first time on a plane)

One morning while having breakfast, I asked for an English Muffin and was told that none had come in on the ship.

That's when I learned that EVERYTHING on that island is shipped in.

OP, Bermuda is very expensive. Staying at a hotel there is very pricey...as are meals. Bermuda cruises are some of the most expensive cruises too (the port fees are astronomical compared to the Caribbean)...however, being docked there for 3 days is something that you will love. Bermuda is not a place to stop for a couple hours and then leave. It is like a little piece of heaven, and you will love it. :)

Archived