Burj Al Arab--Dubai

west23hill

It has been suggested to us to have High Tea at the Burj Al Arab Hotel in Dubai. Only by making a reservation to eat in the hotel are you allowed into the hotel (not counting staying there)

Has anyone eaten there?

Is is worth the 100's of $$ to do this?

It has been suggested to us to have High Tea at the Burj Al Arab Hotel in Dubai. Only by making a reservation to eat in the hotel are you allowed into the hotel (not counting staying there)

Has anyone eaten there?

Is is worth the 100's of $$ to do this?

Have not been there, so probably not true, but I read that you had to pay just to get over the bridge if not a guest. So, if tea is worth the visit, do it.

From what I've heard from a relative who spent a night there -- depending on your tastes, or as a once-in-a-lifetime experience, just walking through the place could be worth the price.

If you want to see opulence oozing from every pore, then it is an iconic example. Gold-plated bathroom hardware is one thing I remember, but that's just for starters. This person was very happy that they had done it, but wasn't sure they'd return for a repeat. And this is someone who does love luxury. Over the top, if there is one!

Of course, hard times have hit Dubai as well as the rest of the world. Don't know how that would affect the Burj.

You could fit the entire Statue of Liberty, including her pedestal, inside the empty space of the atrium.

I think I'd do it once, if I happened to be there!

The high tea at about $150pp may be worth it, if you are in to that. The food at the hotel can be great or can be mediocre there is no real standard as service in Dubai is typically poor. Remember you need reservations well in advance especially for the high tea --as this is typically for tourists.

If you have nothing better to do Dubai, I would recommend going to the top of the Burj Khalifa in the (non foggy) evening. The restaurants around the fountain are very nice and reasonably priced and the dancing fountain show every half hour is also good.

The high tea at about $150pp may be worth it, if you are in to that. The food at the hotel can be great or can be mediocre there is no real standard as service in Dubai is typically poor. Remember you need reservations well in advance especially for the high tea --as this is typically for tourists.

If you have nothing better to do Dubai, I would recommend going to the top of the Burj Khalifa in the (non foggy) evening. The restaurants around the fountain are very nice and reasonably priced and the dancing fountain show every half hour is also good.

thanx--the dancing fountains have been suggested to us.

We think that will be a winner.

thanx again

bev

Hi Bev,

I think when in Dubai, especially after travelling from Hawaii, you should definitely visit the Burj for High Tea.

We had a Xmas gift voucher for afternoon tea with champagne, so the decision was made for us!

We took a cab from our hotel and the driver asked if we had evidence of a booking as he would not be allowed over the bridge without showing this. It is very much a tourist attraction and I don't blame them for being strict about who comes and goes. But once inside, we were able to wander about and take photos.

We took the lift to the restaurant almost at the very top of the hotel, which was a thrill! Dress code seemed a little too relaxed in our view, as we had made an effort to look the part as had most diners.

Tea was just wonderful. The food was never ending and I can't believe how much we ate. I still remember that last chocolate cake that we simply could not force down! Again there was opportunity to take photos and nobody minded as we were all enjoying the experience. There is often a haze in Dubai and in March 2010 it wasn't too bad, but could possibly spoil the views at other times.

From the Burj we took a cab (nobody walks in Dubai) to the Dubai Mall, where the fountains are a short walk through the shopping area. Again this is an experience not to be missed. Unfortunately the Khalifa Tower (2,038 feet to the top floor and 2,717 feet to the roof) was closed as the lifts were problematic, but we would have liked to have taken a trip to the top for an aerial view of the fountains. Maybe another time!

I am sure you will get all this info on-line, along with masses of pictures.

Have a lovely time!!

Paul & Ann

Archived