Corfu beaches

JOHN 57

We were just there in Sept. and went to Paleokastritsa Beach, it was small and beautiful. I had read that it was a touristy area, but we found it to be quiet. It is 45mins. from the port, we had a hired a driver for the day but there were 8 in our party. We also visited the Achilleion Palace. If you go to Paleokastritsa Beach and want to eat lunch go to Aladino, it is right on the water. Ask for Maria she is the owner and will take good care of you, she gave us some of her homemade cake, everything was very good.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll second that, Somogirl. We were there in August of 2010. We rented a car (driving is easy, easier if you have a bit of a handle on the Cyrillic alphabet) and drove to Paleokastritsa Beach--and loved it. The area is actually a set of several small beaches--we were at the main one --a very picturesque cove--water is a bit cool, though. There are a few caves on one side of the cove--they have boat rides to take you, or you could (as we did) rent a small pedalo (pedal-boat) and take a little tour around at your own pace. There's a few fun shops and cafes, and there's a monastey at far end of the cove, at the top.

Enjoy your day!

Kevin

When in Corfu port next June, we plan to rent a car and make our way up to Paleo area, stopping along the way to see Lakones village and then the monastery in Paleo before heading down to the beach area where we would like to take one of the small boats out to see the grottos. Will also fit in lunch somewhere along the way before heading back to port in time to wander old town before we set sail again. I believe there is also a worthwhile castle to see somewhere along that route? Does anyone have more specific info to share about places not to miss between Corfu Town and the Paleo beach area? Driving route recommendations?

When in Corfu port next June, we plan to rent a car and make our way up to Paleo area, stopping along the way to see Lakones village and then the monastery in Paleo before heading down to the beach area where we would like to take one of the small boats out to see the grottos. Will also fit in lunch somewhere along the way before heading back to port in time to wander old town before we set sail again. I believe there is also a worthwhile castle to see somewhere along that route? Does anyone have more specific info to share about places not to miss between Corfu Town and the Paleo beach area? Driving route recommendations?

We just returned from Corfu and rented a car. There is not much between Corfu Town and Paleo but the route is easy. We went to the castle and hiked up to the top. It is beyond Lakones and if you like a bit of a hike is well worth it. The castle is Angelokastro and is near Krini. It is an interesting drive. The hike up is fairly easy and there is a 2.50E charge. Most of the places you want to go are easy to get to. You just need to follow the signs which are in English.

This is the view of Paleo from the castle.

IMG_0182.jpg?psid=1

Thanks Eileen G!

Sounds like we could do the drive from Corfu town, stop in Lakones, stop at the Angel Castle, stop at the monastery all on the way to Paleo beach, and then do the grotto boat tour before working our way back to Corfu town. Great to hear that you found the drive easy.

Thanks Eileen G!

Sounds like we could do the drive from Corfu town, stop in Lakones, stop at the Angel Castle, stop at the monastery all on the way to Paleo beach, and then do the grotto boat tour before working our way back to Corfu town. Great to hear that you found the drive easy.

That sounds like a good plan. Just don't rush your day to have time for Corfu Town. When we DIY we always try to enjoy the moment and if we don't get everything done that we planned it's OK.

• 2 weeks later...
Where would you go:

Corfu, Athens, or Santorini???

I wanted to go to the Athens and Santorini, but with our budget, it looks like it might be Corfu, but I know nothing about it....

We've been to Athens and Santorini before (land stays for both and also a separate port day for Santorini, Mykonos, Crete, Rhodes). Every place has something different to offer. Athens is a must for the classic historical sites. Santorini was beautiful for wandering, views and beaches. Going back next year, we will have a port stop in Corfu (our first visit there) and also plan to spend a week pre cruise driving up to see Meteora and the Peloponnese area as we didn't get those areas in the prior trips. I don't think you can go wrong in any part of Greece. I would suggest to research the different areas of the mainland and islands and decide whether you are looking for beaches, history, lush vegetation, arid settings etc. as that will point you to the right location.

Archived