RCI Allure vs. Carnival Dream for 18 yo

jhaasz

Having been on both, I would say go for RCCL if the price is comparable. We really enjoyed the Dream, sailed twice on that ship but the Oasis had more things to do for the older teen crowd. We enjoy Carnival because we feel that they do a great job with the younger kids and our children are 5 & 7. We are taking our kids on our Allure b2b next Dec and I think they will have a great time but they are too young for some of the activities that are offered on the Allure.

With CCL, newer and bigger does NOT equal better. CCL's best are the Spirit Class ships IMO. They have the best space/passenger ratio, and most of the same amenities as the larger Conquest and Dream classes. OP, if you are seriously considering Carnival, I would highly suggest Legend, Spirit, Pride or Miracle.

I like Carnival, but nothing in their fleet can compare to Allure or Oasis. They are not as focused on ship development as RCI. This is evidenced by the fact that they have been copying and tweaking the same old design since 1996 when Destiny came out. The exception of course is the Spirit Class. But it was a good idea that they have, for some reason, not chosen to revisit.

My daughter has now hit that age where she can no longer go to the teen club on the ships. So, my question is, which ship is better for a 18 y.o. that has a tough time meeting others of her age on her own - the Carnival Dream or RCI Allure? Believe it or not, the pricing right now is pretty comparable for the time we are looking at (early July).

Any help would be appreciated (also posting this on the Carnival board).

Thanks!

Your daughter will thank you for choosing Allure! Have sailed Oasis three times so far and soon to be four on Allure, your daughter will love it....K.O. near Philly:)

I know this thread is about Oasis and Dream, but I am trying to decide between the Freedom of the Seas and the Dream. My family DH 43, myself 46, DS 18 and DS14 have never sailed Royal but have been on the Carnival Dream. I would appreciate any input regarding the 13 to 17 year old club and which ship has more to do for my 18 year old? I thought I saw somewhere that royal has activites for 18 - 20 year olds also? Is this true? Also, how is the 13-17 year old club do they have a lot to do for the kids. My 14 year old son is a little nervous about being with the older kids since Carnivals club for his age was 12-14. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!!!! :D:D:D

I know this thread is about Oasis and Dream, but I am trying to decide between the Freedom of the Seas and the Dream. My family DH 43, myself 46, DS 18 and DS14 have never sailed Royal but have been on the Carnival Dream. I would appreciate any input regarding the 13 to 17 year old club and which ship has more to do for my 18 year old? I thought I saw somewhere that royal has activites for 18 - 20 year olds also? Is this true? Also, how is the 13-17 year old club do they have a lot to do for the kids. My 14 year old son is a little nervous about being with the older kids since Carnivals club for his age was 12-14. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!!!! :D:D:D

I did not fall in love with Royal Caribbean until I tried a Freedom class ship. Great ships, as is Oasis class.

Freedom series ships are great for teens and young adults! flow rider draws lots of young people. ice rink and ice shows are unique. Loads of other venues, too. I cannot tell you about the teen clubs, but the teens I see around the ships seem to be having a blast.

I think Freedom would have more for a teenager to do. She has the Flowrider surf simulator, full size basketball court, rock wall, ice skating, mini golf, and more more pools (4 versus Dream's 2). I have seen Freedom's teen club and toured the Dream; it seemed like both ships teen clubs are pretty similar.

You guys are scaring me about the Dream. We went on Oasis in May of this year and LOVED it! But....I wanted to experience a cove balcony. So now we are going on the Dream over Thanksgiving. I know, lots of crowds. If I had an 18 year old I would not hesitate to book the Allure. They had activities for all ages. She will love it. Have a great cruise!!!

My daughter has now hit that age where she can no longer go to the teen club on the ships. So, my question is, which ship is better for a 18 y.o. that has a tough time meeting others of her age on her own - the Carnival Dream or RCI Allure? Believe it or not, the pricing right now is pretty comparable for the time we are looking at (early July).

Any help would be appreciated (also posting this on the Carnival board).

Thanks!

We were just on the newer and improved sister ship to the Dream, the Carnival Magic. It was a bit of a disappointment with not much to do and the pools are still tiny and overcrowded.

For what it's worth, I also noticed that the prices of the Carnival Dream and Allure are not that much different. The Allure may be more. But you also get Chicago, the aqua shows, the ice show, zip line, and so much more included in your price. So, the way I see it, the Allure is a better all around deal once you consider that you will spend more time on board and Carnival you would spend more time on shore (and paying for shore excursions).

Archived