Confiscation!!

ddcile5

I was using a VERY cute brown and pink polk dot rolling bag for a carry on.

It was very easy to use with the wheels and held all my stuff including my wine and soda!! It was supposidly classified as a cooler since it had a white plastic lining and they made me take out everything ie my 2 bottles of wine and my soda and all my carry on items like purse, etc. and took it from me!!:mad:

They made me put all my items in a plastic bag. I asked to have it tagged so I could get it back when we returned but they said no it was going to be destroyed!!:eek: My bag was no bigger than anyone elses carry on and even fit thru and went thru the the X-ray machine!! I opened it for them because they said if I had wine in it I had to have it inspected, that is when they saw the white lining that they said that made it a cooler!!

So lesson learned , no bags with plastic liners that make the bag a cooler!!

Boy did I love that bag!!:mad:

P.S. I was able to take on my 2 bottles of wine and soda, plus all my other carry on items to the ship in a flimsey plastic bag.

I would have been so upset:( I would have just put it my car until I returned!!! I am assuming you flew in and probably took a shuttle/taxi to the port:( Thanks for posting this information!! I just went and checked and mine don't have a white lining!! I would be devistated:( Hope you had a wonderful cruise!!

I would have been so upset:( I would have just put it my car until I returned!!! I am assuming you flew in and probably took a shuttle/taxi to the port:( Thanks for posting this information!! I just went and checked and mine don't have a white lining!! I would be devistated:( Hope you had a wonderful cruise!!

Iv seen posts from people that had barely larger than 12 x 12 x 12 who had them confiscated. Its always a risk you take if you take a cooler that is too large. they can spot those rolling coolers a mile away like OP has.

My bag was tall 16 inches, then 10 by 12. I did not think it was a cooler!

It was a rollling bag too me just had a white plastic lining, great for carrying wine and soda I thought.

I had 2 bottles of wine in bubble wrap and the soda standing up right a bottle on each side and soda in the middle . I used all the outside pockets for my other carry on items such as documents, sun screen, notebook, pocket games etc. All my carry one items fit nicely.

It was no bigger than a lot of carry ons I saw!! Even my husbands.They just said it was classified as a cooler since it had a white plastic lining!!:mad:

We drove in and were dropped off by my sister so our ride was not there to take the baqg home!:eek:

Lesson learned.......!!

I had the same thing happen to me and they said they had to take it.

Bringing it back to the car was not an option.

That is one of the main reasons I have not been on Carnival since 08.

Would it not have been possible to remove (tear or cut) the lining out? That is too bad, I am sorry you lost your bag. Seems to me that it would have been nice if they gave you the option to destroy the lining so it couldn't be used as a cooler, then you might have been able to keep it!

Thanks for the warning! I brought on a rolling bag to my HAL cruise, filled with bottled water. It has a lining, although I don't think of it as a cooler since it is not insulated well & wouldn't keep anything cold. But I won't bring it on my next cruise - I bet they would take it from me.

No such rule on HAL that I'm aware of. I didn't even need to carry it on, I checked it through the porters & they handled it.

Really Carnival? Wonder if some guy got a promotion with coming up with that rule.

It was posted by CCL Staff over in the Funville Forums that after a meeting in early October that all ports are beginning to adhere to carry-on policies.

This came down from the Beards.

So, at first I thought it pertained to just the carry-on drinks and such but apparently it is more than just that.

I have a collapsible cooler bag that is 12x15x5. that does have the plastic lining in it. It is no larger than a beach bag or some women's purses. Will Carnival allow you to carry on this bag or will they confiscate it? Bought this bag this summer just for our cruise this Christmas not knowing that Carnival had a "cooler rule". Hate to lose my new bag.

I paid over $20.00 for it and it was very cute!!:) So i was VERY bumbed :mad: , but did not let it start us off to a bad cruise.

Hint hint ......to hubby to keep a look out for another to replace it.!:)

Thanks for the tip and the facts......sorry for the loss...best way possible to have your next B-day..congrats..Sarah

Sorry.......it was out of Baltimore MD. I thought it was a very picky, picky thing especially looking at the other carry ons.........so huge and bulky.

and i saw alot of rolling carry ons too! Oh well, just take note no carry ons with plastic linings!!

If you can sew, line it again with cloth without taking out the plastic liner. Hand stitch it at the top to cover the plastic.

That's what I would do................:p

Thanks for the tip. Sorry it was at your expense.

Exactly what I was thinking. :)

Peel and stick Velcro the fabric if the OP doesn't sew well.

dstables,

Just dont use it as a carry on. I too had a collapsible cooler I folded and put in my carry on luggage and it made it thru!! No problem. We use it on our balcony for our soda etc to keep it cold as we partied.!!

I have a collapsible cooler bag that is 12x15x5. that does have the plastic lining in it. It is no larger than a beach bag or some women's purses. Will Carnival allow you to carry on this bag or will they confiscate it? Bought this bag this summer just for our cruise this Christmas not knowing that Carnival had a "cooler rule". Hate to lose my new bag.

You can pack it in your luggage and still use it in your cabin :)

dstables,

Just dont use it as a carry on. I too had a collapsible cooler I folded and put in my carry on luggage and it made it thru!! No problem. We use it on our balcony for our soda etc to keep it cold as we partied.!!

I was hoping to use the bag in ports as my beach bag and to put some sodas in and keep cold for our time in ports. Carnival will not allow this???:confused:

Sorry.......it was out of Baltimore MD. I thought it was a very picky, picky thing especially looking at the other carry ons.........so huge and bulky.

and i saw alot of rolling carry ons too! Oh well, just take note no carry ons with plastic linings!!

I'm with you on this one. Wouldn't let it ruin my cruise but I would be very upset! What is the reasoning behind this?

Archived