aqua boats

jerseycruzers

We did this excursion last year and it was a blast!! I think there is only one operator in GC that does this. They have about 14 aqua boats and you may have to go through the cruise line?? We had 24 people in twelve boats; in addition, we had two guides, each having their own boat.

They have a place to store extra items because everything gets wet on the boats. We used a water camera and I'm sure we would have destroyed our regular camera. The seas were rough the day we went and these high speed boats are designed to be very stable even though we got airborne on several occations. Wear sunglasses to keep the "spray" out of your eyes and hang on. By the end of the excursion our bottoms were pretty sore from all the bouncing.

We did two stops to snorkel and it was great! The seas didn't allow us to visit the small island stop they advertise, but we did visit a nice area near 7 mile beach. We had so much fun, we have signed up for this excursion again this summer while on the Caribbean Princess. Not sure there is an independent operator? By the way, we booked through the Ship (Grandeur of the Seas).

Enjoy!

Kel

Kel,

How do you think a 7 year old would do on this excursion?

Probably would love it! They give you a life vest; not sure they would let the 7 year old drive; all depends on the seas. Only room for two on these boats. Does he/she swim well? Any snorkel experience? If the child feels comfortable in the water, this should be a lot fun.

Kel

Kel,

I doubt my son would snorkel, but he will be on our summer swim team. He should be fine, especially if he has the life vest. I wouldn't let him drive :eek:

Thanks for the info. I'm just waiting to hear back from the tour operator. Apparently, RCCL has a minimum age of 12. The tour operator has a minimum of 6?? Unless I have a party of 6, I cannot book directly through the tour operator. We will see!

Thanks again!

Kim

Hi, I have booked this independently. I will be in Grand Cayman on a Carnival cruise in June. You have to go through Nautilus in Grand Cayman. E-mail them at nautilus@candw.ky They were very helpful and it really sounds like fun. We have done Rino Riders in St. Martin and these look similiar. I think your son would do fine, if he likes the water. we only have a group of 4, so maybe they already have a few others booked.

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from our cruise and did the aquaboats in GC this past week... They are a blast!!! well worth the price.. there is someone on the pier with a sign when you get off tender.. once everyone is there they take you to a bus and then there is a short drive to the pier where the boats are.. You follow the guy in the boats to the first snorkel place.. We saw some cool fish.. we snorkeled for about 40 minutes I think and then back onto the boats and followed again to where there is a shipwreck.. you get to snorkel above the shipwreck... I think we snorkeled for about 30 minutes and then back to the pier to take the boats back.. it was cool because you get to go right by the ships that are docked in the water.. You cant get closer than 100 ft but it was great to get so close.. They give you either fruit punch or rum punch at that end and there is a small cooler in each boat with 2 bottles of water that are included.. they then take you back by bus where you got on the bus.. For the person riding in the back it is a little bumpy and I had a little problem getting back in the boat at each snorkeling spot but they will help get you in there if you need help... We really enjoyed this excursion..

We took this trip in the beginning of Feb 05. We were an hour late getting to the bus because of tender problems. They cut our trip 1.25 hours short. Only got to snorkle a total of 25 minutes. I was disappointed in that.

I am a large woman in her 50's. I could not get back in the boat without both guides helping me. There equipment had been damaged during Ivan and not all of the boats were working.

I was the passenger, and yes it was rough. At the end of the tour the guide told me he had never seen a women my size do the tour. I am in relatively good shape and did not find the tour too strenous. I did have difficulty with equipment (life vest and snorkel vest) not being big enough for me.

I was disappointed in the quality of the places they took us and in the little time we had to snorkel.

I complained to the purser and ended up getting 25% of our money back.

Leilac

I would have complained too if I had to pay full price and the tour got cut back.. I will admit that it was rough getting back in the boats.. I have some bruises on my upper arms where my boyfriend was trying to help pull me in.. They should have some type of small ladder or something that they could hang over the side to help get you in..

I would have complained too if I had to pay full price and the tour got cut back.. I will admit that it was rough getting back in the boats.. I have some bruises on my upper arms where my boyfriend was trying to help pull me in..

They should have some type of small ladder or something that they could hang over the side to help get you in..

Good point! I tried to enter the boat at the back and got loads of grease all over me.:eek: Next time!

Kel

• 2 weeks later...

Hi -

I have the following questions -

1. Is there a web site for booking this tour on my own?

2. I saw a picture somewhere and it looks like the passenger is sitting behind, not next to the driver? Is that correct? Is that comfortable or a scary feeling??!! It would be my kids that would be behind so I'm not sure they'd be crazy about that. We did a boat tour that you get to sit next to each other in Cancun and that was the highlight of our trip there. (Also, the kids were able to sneak a bit of driving in by being next to us!!!)

Thank you for the help!!

Bobbie

Hi -

I have the following questions -

1. Is there a web site for booking this tour on my own?

2. I saw a picture somewhere and it looks like the passenger is sitting behind, not next to the driver? Is that correct? Is that comfortable or a scary feeling??!! It would be my kids that would be behind so I'm not sure they'd be crazy about that. We did a boat tour that you get to sit next to each other in Cancun and that was the highlight of our trip there. (Also, the kids were able to sneak a bit of driving in by being next to us!!!)

Thank you for the help!!

Bobbie

Bobbie.. I dont know where you could book direct, but you might keep checking around on here because I thought I remembered a post about it right before we left which was about 3 weeks ago..

The passenger is sitting behind the driver.. Its not scary.. it is bumpy though... There are some little hoops you can put your hands into to hold on.. I would bring a towel or something to sit on because it is a rough ride.. My boyfriend drove and I rode in the back seat the whole time and we had a blast!!..

Thanks Waterbound! Sounds like a great tour. I've been searching like crazy and not found the web site to book independantly but I'll keep checking. I think since this is a tender port it might be a good idea to just book with Princess. Then if we're late or don't make the port, I'm not out the $$$!!

Bobbie.. Im starting to think there isnt a place to book ahead.. but not sure.. I did a search for aquaboats on the cayman islands board.. there was one post that mentioned you can book direct thru http://www.nautilus.ky so I went there but its not the same thing.. the aquaboats is a small 2 person boat.. but they are showing something different on that website.. I had mentioned that I previously saw a post about where you could book direct and this was the thread I was talking about but again its not the same thing.. maybe you will have to book on the cruise.. It is definitely worth the price.. You should do a search and look thru them..

Hope this helps..

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I did book this on my own for our cruise in June. Look at my earlier post and e-mail them. The website you found is for aqua boats also. You can e-mail them through it also. They told me they were going to update their website but who knows when. They were very helpful and I saved quite a bit by booking this on my own. Any questions just e-mail me.

Rebecca

The aqua boats were a lot of fun, but I too, like some of the other writers, had a hard time getting back in the boat. It is actually funny now, remembering it, me trying to struggle in the boat while everyone else was already in theirs, and 3 guys coming over to hoist me in! I am pretty athletic, too, but not exactly young anymore. They way I look at it, hey, none of those people will ever see me again, right? It was bumpy and I was a bit apprehensive about that because I do have some back problems (not major), but it didn't bother it at all. We both agreed that was one of the high points of that particular cruise. Have fun! Oh, we booked through the ship, not a private contractor.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I am bringing the thread back from the dead...in hopes that those of you who had questions about this tour and now have experienced it can give some feed back.

Was it worth it and was it difficult to get back in the boat? I am in good shape but hate to get bruises:eek:

• 1 month later...

We did the aqua boats last March. This excursion was one of the best I have been on. Depending on who drives you can go fast and bounce around alot. My boyfriend drove and we caught air, which was really fun, but another boat did the same thing and his wife wouldn't talk to him the rest of the trip. The snorkling was good too.

My wife & I did this in Feb. '04. It was by far the BEST decision we made! It was a blast from start to finish!

We were met at the pavilion near the tender docks where most tours collect their patrons. About a 3 minute van ride to the dock. Our guides then explained the safety. operation, and plan for the excursion (10 minutes). You can lock your "stuff" up in their van, just as they do their own. Be sure to tak an underwater camera with you! One guide took the lead, while the other brought up the rear. You creep out slowly 'till you clear the shore area, then it's hold on for dear life! You will spend as much time above the water as you will in it! The person in the back really has to hold on tight. These boats were 12' fiberglass botton/seats/transom with a zodiac-style inflatable wraparound. A 25hp Mercury on the rear is WAY more than these little things need (but make it WAY more fun!). There were only 8 boats, 6 couples plus one for each guide. I believe there were 4 more back at the dock. The ride to the first stop was about 20 to 25 minutes, and was fantastic!

The first stop was actually very close to 7 mile beach. There was a bouy anchored to the reef where we stopped, and we all tied up together. The snorkling was great...very colorful and plenty of fish (hope it's still that way since Ivan). We stayed there for about 45 minutes I would guess. The one guide (young woman) had already made an announcement to the women..."Ladies, there is NO graceful way to get back in the boat". My wife fully agrees! Most ended up climbing on the trim fin above the prop and crawling up oner the transom.

We then "flew" out through where the cruise ships anchor (or "hover"), being careful not to get too close, as the guides said the ships get really mad and complain if you try to "buzz" them. Our next stop was closer to Georgetown, over a shipwreck. The guides said the this ship sprung a leak in the early 1900's, and it's cargo of rice swelled and literally split it open.

After about another 1/2 hour there, we had time for a third full speed run. When we got back to the dock, we had the option of being driven back, but my wife & I elected to walk. It was about a 30 minute walk...quite enjoyable.

I still have the brochure at home. It lists a phone number in Georgetown. You may be able to call and arrange independently, but I believe that they only have time for about 2 groups per day (it was about 3 hours). The phone number is 345-945-1355. From the US or Canada, it is dialed as a normal long distance call. I hope the number is still good...

Depending on how much time you spend "above" the water instead of "in" it (yes, we were airborne a lot!), I think these things will go at least as fast as a jetski.

The group must stay together, so I would be prepared to FLY!!!

Archived