Machu Picchu DIY - Hotels in Aguas Calientes, Ollantaytambo, and Lima?

CACruzrs

We're planning a DIY excursion to Machu Picchu in March. We plan to get off the ship in Santiago (Valparaiso) and re-board the ship in Lima (Callao) 4 days later. In between we'll need to stay in hotels in Lima (near the airport), Ollantaytambo (Sacred Valley), and Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu). Can anybody out there give us recommendations for hotels in these towns?

Thanks in advance.:)

We're planning a DIY excursion to Machu Picchu in March. We plan to get off the ship in Santiago (Valparaiso) and re-board the ship in Lima (Callao) 4 days later. In between we'll need to stay in hotels in Lima (near the airport), Ollantaytambo (Sacred Valley), and Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu). Can anybody out there give us recommendations for hotels in these towns?

What ship are you on? We are on the Veendam and are looking for something similar.

Terri

• 2 weeks later...

You don't have much time to do this. About the earliest flight out of SCL you could get on is the 2:55PM out of SCL nonstop to Lima. The hotel by the airport is EXPENSIVE. And the Lima airport is in one of the most dangerous, crappy areas in Lima (as is the port). If I arrived on a plane at 4:30PM, the LAST place I would want to stay is around the airport unless you are tired and just want to sleep.

So find something else. My favorite is the ground floor rooms at the San Antonio Abad. I have never stayed in the upstairs rooms nor will I just because I don't want to go up the stairs. But the ground floor room with the little patio out back is really great (does have twin beds). Airport pickup is included (they will be in the waiting area with a sign with your name on it). A VERY good breakfast is included (BUT if you want to maximize time, you probably will have to forget breakfast). You will pay to get BACK to the airport (about $25.00). But the hotel is in Miraflores, so you could see a little bit of Lima that evening. Most of the main tourist sights will be closed by the time you get to Lima. But Miraflores is safe to walk around at night, the LarcoMar shopping center has a really spectacular Japanese restaurant if you are into sushi and you can watch the water fountain show, look at the ocean and La Rosa Nautica (another really neat restaurant sitting out in the ocean). http://www.hotelsanantonioabad.com/

Then the next morning take the EARLIEST flight out of Lima to Cusco-NO LATER than 9AM or you may not even make it to Cusco that day. Cusco sits in a bowl. The clouds start rolling in about 10-11AM. IF the pilot cannot find a clear path to the runway, around and around you go waiting for that window of opportunity. If it does not open, BACK to Lima you go to try again the next day.

Make arrangements with your hotel in Ollay to pick you up. I have no recommendations as I don't stay in the Valley. IF you take an early plane out of Cusco, you can probably get on the 1:30 Vistadome train to MP. PeruRail is running a special with the Vistadome and lunch at the Sanctuary for only an extra $20pp. Spend the night in Agua Calientes (what price range are you looking at-there is everything from $25.00 per night backpacker hostels to $1000 per night hotels in the area). Visit MP the next day and take the late train back to Cusco or Ollay.

Following day, take the early plane back to Lima and see what you missed the first day. Rejoin the ship.

Now, one thing I will caution you about or give you a little secret. IF you have not booked air tickets for your cruise and are flying into South America, fly in on LAN, AA or any other OneWorld airline. You will save a HEAP of money on the plane tickets from Santiago to Lima to Cusco and return. One way LAN from SCL to Lima (the nonstops) is about $7-800pp. Add another $300-350pp for the air RT to Cusco from Lima. So you have spent $22-2500 just for air for two people. I fly this route 4 times per year for business and I wouldn't do it without the AirPass. Just too darn expensive-those one way tickets from SCL to Lima are sky high.

By flying LAN or a OneWorld carrier INTO South America, you are eligible for either a LAN South America Pass (LAN only) or a OneWorld South America Pass. You will generally save half or better on your airfare using the Passes. Both kinds can be booked on the LAN website.

http://www.lan.com/en_us/sitio_personas/southamericanairpass/index.html

http://www.oneworld.com/ow/air-travel-options/single-continent-fares/visit-south-america

Enjoy!!!

We went to Peru/Machu Picchu (DIY) and I highly recommend the El Albergue Hotel in Ollanytatambo. http://www.elalbergue.com/

We ended up staying here 3 nights due to a train/transporation strike and it was the best experience. Breakfast is included and the evening meals were delicious! This place is beautiful and right at the train station.

Have a great time. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Sol y Luna in Oly is gorgeous…but perhaps too much for a quickie stop. Sanctuary Lodge AT Machu Picchu is worth the splurge…all according to my husband and son who did the trek last year…I couldn't …but I charted it all out for them…including guides everywhere!

Thanks for the flight weather observation Greatam.

My DW and I are not cruising this year but going to Easter Island and MP on the LAN SA Pass.

I going to reschedule my departure in Lima to Cusco to arrive by 9 AM.

• 1 month later...
You should try to find something on international hotel booking websites and I advise you to start doing this now. I am booked with Miami hotels on my spring break, that's how I found the best option for me, it only took me minutes to solve the whole thing. Just use the Internet, it's a REAL help.

I think the OP was looking for recommendations from those who had stayed at specific hotels.

Archived