Lost at the port in Callao

mrgrumps

Long time reader, but first time poster. My wife and I will arrive on the Rotterdam in Callao (Lima) in December. We are not going to M.P on this trip, so I'm trying to arrange an overnight at a hotel in Lima along with a couple of days touring the city.

I've tried researching these boards and the internet to get port information about transportation from the port, and the return. I've read many conflicting/horror stories.

Can anyone with first-hand knowledge tell me what to expect and how I can safely get to our hotel in Miraflores....and back to the ship?

Thanks

just wanted to "ditto" what Krazy Kruizers said about getting clearance for leaving the ship.

noticed you also posted on the South America board. Great idea.

don't know anything about this itinerary. I'm assuming you've checked the HAL tours and they don't meet your needs. I'd be a little nervous about doing what you're planning, but, I'm a pretty big chicken.

If you stay at the Marriott Hotel in Miraflores you will be close to everything in a pretty safe area. In fact H Stern the Jeweller offers a free shuttle to their shop in the Marriott which would be very safe transport. There are some great tours you can take from Parque Kennedy which is a short safe walk from the Marriott. Make sure you are downtown for the changing of the guard....Enjoy

Habla usted Espanol? If not, stay put!

Really? I was there and I don't speak espanol and did just fine:confused:. It a huge shame not to leave the port. I was there for 3 days and had table mates that didn't get off the ship and complained it was boring. What a loss. It's an amazing place.

We contacted a private guide in Lima for our Touring. the port area is known to be unsafe and is a far distance from LIma central. I guess I would stay on the ship but hire a guide to take me all over Lima--seems safer--but if you

are determined to stay ashore try the hotel concerige's desk to get info about a car to pick uP. Lima's port is very industrial and secure--it is difficult for cars to get permission from port officials to pick up dockside--there should be transportation from the ship to the main gate where all the taxis are---be very careful there---it is best to have some one waiting for you. From the port to Lima central it is about 1 hourto 45 min ride if I remember correctly.(depending on traffic)

BG

Lima is not as dangerous as these posts make out. We were 2 females and had no problems. We were on Amsterdam World cruise and slept ashore one night so we could go to a midnight show. Bought tickets at the supermarket and the hotel arranged a cab to take us and collect us at 2am.... we did not have any problems. If you take a taxi from the dock be careful as they will try to make you change cabs at the dock exit....that was the only time we were uncomfortable( only some have permits to enter the dock area ). The red bus tours of the city are great as well as the one they run to Pachacamac. We also did the evening city tour into the old city and the lights downtown are wonderful. The markets are close to Miraflores as well. I was there again early this year with my husband and we just loved it. Just do not have camera or wallet/handbag visable.

Thanks for all of the replies. Krazy Kruizers, I will get the clearance from the ship for the overnight...I never would have thought of that. I am fairly fluent in Spanish, so that should not be a problem. We are actually excited to have the chance to visit this city.

Really, my biggest concern is getting safely from the ship to the gate and then back to the ship from the gate. I've read that no walking is allowed in the area, and that the scene outside the port is chaotic/dangerous.

Can anyone verify if shuttles run throughout the day and evening while we're in port?

Yes, shuttles do run from ship to gate and we never had to wait but a minute or two at the most. We went out with private guide who battered with taxi drivers for our transport on two days and had a van on one day. This is a marvelous city and Mira Flores is a beautiful setting right on the beach, but some distance from downtown. The downtown is fantastic, we went there in the evening with all it's activity and lights. So enjoy, find a hotel that suites you and don't worry, just don't to "crazy" things at the port entry and someone suggested a hotel driver... that would be a good solution if available to you. I don't think downtown is more than 30-45 minutes unless there is an accident somewhere. Stern does offer a free shuttle to the Marriott. The ship did not provide any shuttle service to the city. By the way there are some outstanding ruins in and near Lima, you might want to look at visiting those... same goes for Trujillo if you are going there too.

Archived