Mercury for an "M" Class fan?

DavidLloyd

I realize this is a very subjective question, but someone take a stab. We've sailed on Horizon, which seemed perfectly fine until we sailed Infinity, then Millenium. Now we wouldn't dream of booking Horizon or Zenith and wonder if Mercury might disappoint? Surely there are rabid fans of each, (I personally can't imagine cruising anything but Celebrity, until I can afford Radisson or the like) but can someone help us discern between the experience on the top two classes of ships????

Great question. We booked a cruise on the Mercury for this Sept. I have been on the Infinity twice she is my favorite. I am wondering about how I will feel on a smaller ship. Can't wait to hear the responses you get on this one. Enjoy your day!

Hi, David -

You're right, it is a VERY subjective question! I first fell in love with Celebrity by sailing on the Galaxy (sister to the Mercury), then sailed on Millenium and Infinity, then sailed on the Mercury, and then the Constellation. Right now we've got two upcoming cruises booked, one on Infinity and one on Millenium. Although I think our cruise on the Mercury was probably our favorite of all of our Celebrity and non-Celebrity cruises so far due to the wonderful staff and crew, we certainly prefer the larger ships on balance.

The C-class does have some nice features. There are the Sky Suites on Sky deck with the enormous balconies. The smaller Thallassotherapy pool in the spa, along with the fact that it is restricted to those who have paid, makes them better than the bigger pools on the M-class which people treat like just another covered pool. All of the lounges are smaller and more manageable in size. I particularly prefer the top-deck lounge on the C-class ships; the ones on the M-class are too large to see out unless you're right along the windows. The libraries have windows whereas on the M-class they're in windowless spaces. In general I think the crew may be a little more cohesive on the smaller ships and thus give (slightly) better service.

Of course, you can list the things that the C-class doesn't have: the Specialty restaurant; the larger gym and spa; the Conservatory; the Sports Bar (on Millenium); and now, of course, the Cirque de Soleil "experience." But overall I'm sure you'll enjoy the Mercury very much.

Bruce,

Thanks for taking the time to compare and contrast so completely. I think we're probably better off on the M class ships - we so thoroughly enjoy moving in and out of the thalassotherapy pool on sea days (Actually, I call it "Cocoon" because everyone looks like Hume Cronon and Jessica Tandy. I always expect to see Steve Gutenberg pulling a pod from the bottom of the pool). We also like the big health club. Dang, now I'm hungry for the cold poached salmon with dill sauce from the spa food-line.

David

Archived