Cruising with VERY little ones?

AlohaPride

We've got 3 girls ages 4, 2.5, and 8 months (20 months age difference :D). Anyways, we're NEEDING a cruise (it's been almost 3 years). We're looking at May 2012 Alaska. Of course, Disney is an (expensive) option at more than $7k for our whole family not including air from Hawaii. Which other lines should we look into? We love Holland America, but can't imagine taking such young kids on that line. Our oldest went on HAL when she was 15 months old and we had a blast, but honestly there wasn't much for her to do.

By the time we cruise our girls will be 4.5, 3 (her birthday is in May), and 14 months.

I've cruised Alaska twice with children. Once on RCI and once on Princess. Of the two, I preferred Princess. They have a better overall product, including the kids club. We had a great time on RCI too. With both lines, the children need to be 3 years old AND toilet trained (no pullups) to be in the kids club. With RCI, you may be able to get in cabin babysitting for a fee.

With Disney, the advantage is the nursery, which none of the other ships sailing Alaska will have.

My kids loved HAL. I am not sure you need all the "bells and whistles" for an Alaska cruise, because it's all about the ports. Personally, I would put Alaska off until your children are older; it's an expensive choice. You'll be restricted in some of your excursions because of the younger one's ages.

My kids loved HAL. I am not sure you need all the "bells and whistles" for an Alaska cruise, because it's all about the ports. Personally, I would put Alaska off until your children are older; it's an expensive choice. You'll be restricted in some of your excursions because of the younger one's ages.

It's really Alaska or Mexican Riviera for us. Cost of air from Hawaii is prohibitive. We wouldn't get off the ship at ALL in Mexico (just too dangerous). And will probably only do one or two shore excursions in Alaska.

This wont be our last Alaska cruise, but we'd like the possibility of seeing snow at some point in our lives. LOL

Looks like Disney is our only choice due to the nursery.

Any other advice for cruising with 3 little ones??

• 1 month later...

You might want to check out Carnival. We took our daughter who was 9 months at the time on a Carnival cruise and she had a blast. We all had such a good time that we have booked another one with our daughter who is now 3.5 and our 9 month old baby. The kids club (Camp Carnival) really does seem to be a lot of fun and they provide group babysitting at night for $6 for the first and $4 for subsequent kids which our daughter really enjoyed. It starts at 10pm and kids and babies can go which gives the adults on the trip some alone time.

Aren't there any cruises around Hawaii? If you are going to miss some ports in Alaska, and your kids are as young as they are, that doesn't seem worth it to me, nor does Mexican Riveria, if you won't get off the ship. I know you live there anyway, but NCL has a 7 nighter around Hawaii. That would be what I would do.

Royal Caribbean's Radiance of the Seas just added a nursery a while back, and I believe the same enhancement is coming to the Rhapsody of the Seas as well. Plus, on Royal Caribbean you may be able to get a family stateroom for a little bit less money than 2 connecting rooms for the 5 of you.

With the feeling of "needing" a cruise, and a baby that's 14 months, my votes are either for Disney or a Royal Caribbean ship with a Royal Babies & Tots Nursery! Celebrity and HAL offer babysitting "on request" only, and it cannot be guaranteed. Princess has nothing available for the under-3's.

hey so what did you end up deciding? I want to take my 11 month on an alaska cruise and when i started looking into it the best prices were from Holland, disney, and norweign. Main reason is becuase ALL Other LINES wanted to charge me a triple rate and I am sorry she will be 11 months and Definately NOT eating enough to spend another 800 bucks!

The other cruise lines only charged me port taxes......so 200 or so more out of pocket.

Have to get her a passport through for the stop over in Canada!:D

also - i read somewhere you couldn't take babies (under 1) on excursions....but maybe this is negotiable?

Royal Caribbean's Radiance of the Seas just added a nursery a while back, and I believe the same enhancement is coming to the Rhapsody of the Seas as well. Plus, on Royal Caribbean you may be able to get a family stateroom for a little bit less money than 2 connecting rooms for the 5 of you.

With the feeling of "needing" a cruise, and a baby that's 14 months, my votes are either for Disney or a Royal Caribbean ship with a Royal Babies & Tots Nursery! Celebrity and HAL offer babysitting "on request" only, and it cannot be guaranteed. Princess has nothing available for the under-3's.

I agree 100% with this post!

Archived