Umbrella Stroller or Travel System?

RizzoLee

I purchased an umbrella stroller for our upcoming cruise in January. We usually use our travel system when at home, but umbrella stroller at events, etc.

My DH pointed out it might make more sense to bring the entire travel system with us for the cruise - then we're not stuck carrying around an infant seat and/or umbrella stroller through the ports. We'd just click the infant seat into the stroller and go.

However, we'd have to check both the infant seat and travel system stroller, carrying baby through the airport. With the umbrella stroller, we'd be able to carry it on since it's light and collapses small; we'd still check the infant seat (DS is on our lap for the flight). I also thought he'd be cooler in the umbrella stroller, rather than the travel system in the Caribbean.

The other option is to get DS used to being worn; we have several carriers but he hates them all. The ones I can get him into are uncomfy for me - we're nursing and the *ahem* ladies are on the larger side. This would work for the airport and for those ports we don't do an excursion during.

Thanks for any advice!

I purchased an umbrella stroller for our upcoming cruise in January. We usually use our travel system when at home, but umbrella stroller at events, etc.

My DH pointed out it might make more sense to bring the entire travel system with us for the cruise - then we're not stuck carrying around an infant seat and/or umbrella stroller through the ports. We'd just click the infant seat into the stroller and go.

However, we'd have to check both the infant seat and travel system stroller, carrying baby through the airport. With the umbrella stroller, we'd be able to carry it on since it's light and collapses small; we'd still check the infant seat (DS is on our lap for the flight). I also thought he'd be cooler in the umbrella stroller, rather than the travel system in the Caribbean.

The other option is to get DS used to being worn; we have several carriers but he hates them all. The ones I can get him into are uncomfy for me - we're nursing and the *ahem* ladies are on the larger side. This would work for the airport and for those ports we don't do an excursion during.

Thanks for any advice!

I think there are a lot of variables at play here that could influence your decision. How big is your cabin? What ports are you going to and what do you plan to do there?

I hate strollers on vacation, simply because they are huge and take up a lot of space. Since DS2 has been 3 yrs old we have left the strollers at home and only used the Ergo carrier when on vacation (cruise or not). In fact we could have left it at home when he was 2yrs, but didn't realize it :) However, he and I both love using it, so that makes a big difference.

However, we'd have to check both the infant seat and travel system stroller, carrying baby through the airport. With the umbrella stroller, we'd be able to carry it on since it's light and collapses small; we'd still check the infant seat (DS is on our lap for the flight).

I travel a lot, and I've never seen anyone be able to bring an umbrella stroller on a plane; it's always taken away and gate checked.

We have a balcony, and are visiting:

2 days in Miami, pre-cruise

Grand Cayman (our 3rd time here)

Cozumel (our 3rd time here)

Belize (our 3rd time here - will probably stay on the ship with him)

Mahogany Bay, Honduras

I have a Moby wrap, an Amy Coe sling (hates that one), a Snugli (I can't wear it - too uncomfy) and a Beco carrier. The Beco is most comfortable for me, but DS prefers the Snugli, which means DH has to wear him. Even so, it only lasts for 30 mins or so before DS gets fussy.

Thanks!

I travel a lot, and I've never seen anyone be able to bring an umbrella stroller on a plane; it's always taken away and gate checked.

I called our airline to inquire about what's allowable as checked baggage (we're checking the car seat and his pack-and-play for free), and they said as long as it folds and fits into their carry-on size limits, we can overhead-bin it. :D

We'd just click the infant seat into the stroller and go.

How old will your son be at the time of the cruise? Is it possible that he will be out of the infant seat by January?

My son is 9 months now, and we are cruising in four weeks. I don't think I will be able to even carry the infant seat by then - it's just getting way too heavy (he's 21 lbs, so not "small" but not unusually big either). I think I'm going to have to give in and get the convertible car seats very soon.

I'm just adding that as something to think about. I'm still trying to figure out the car seat/stroller issues for our cruise, too. I just bought a Baby Jogger City Mini and another umbrella style stroller with some extra features (Britax Blink, on clearance, thanks to somebody's suggestion here). I'm still trying to decide which to take, and of course, then figuring out which car seat we'll be using by then.

Also, I'm pretty sure that my son would not like to be in the infant seat all day if we are out and about in port because he likes to sit up and look around a lot more now. He's okay with the seat for awhile, but would get squirmy if he was that constrained all day - he's VERY active already!

No answers for you, but hopefully food for thought...

Happy cruising!

We will be taking our travel system as honestly around the ship I will wear DS, but I like the extra space in the travel system stroller for out in port. Also, DS and his infant seat combined are 42lbs so I am not carrying that load around and it is so much easier just to snap it into the stroller. DS is in a larger convertable carseat now, but that carseat alone is 27lbs and almost bulkier than the infant seat and stroller combined.

Do you plan to use the car seat at the ports? If you do, I would suggest that instead of taking the large travel system stroller, you take one that the car seat can snap on such as this. Read the Amazon reviews. Your large stroller will be very cumbersome to deal with on the ship. It will take up a lot of room in the dining room and other public places. You will be much better off with something smaller.

In the airport, I would either wear baby, or use stroller and car seat to get to the gate. You can gate-check the stroller frame and car seat.

Edited to add: It is currently unavailable on Amazon, but I found it on BabiesRUs and BuyBuyBaby websites.

Vote travel system.

Airport - your caraway will be checked at the counter. The stroller will be left at the door of your plane. It will be outside the door of your plane when you land. Car seats and strollers are free.

I loved having my big stroller that is more comfortable and has a food tray on it for the cruise. I had no problems with it in hallways or elevators.

Yes, we'll be doing a baby-friendly tour or two so the car seat will be necessary in ports.

How old will your son be at the time of the cruise? Is it possible that he will be out of the infant seat by January?

I meant to post his age (sleep deprived much?), he'll be 9mo the day we leave. At his 6m appt, he was 17lb 5oz and 27", there was a time I was worried he'd be out of his infant seat (it's rated 22lbs), but it seems he finally plateau'd at 6m - he was gaining over 2lb a month before that, but had some severe difficulties at birth, so was catching up.

He's not squirmy in the seat quite yet, he is after a few hours in the car, but we'd have him out and about before then.

Do you plan to use the car seat at the ports? If you do, I would suggest that instead of taking the large travel system stroller, you take one that the car seat can snap on such as this. Read the Amazon reviews. Your large stroller will be very cumbersome to deal with on the ship. It will take up a lot of room in the dining room and other public places. You will be much better off with something smaller.

Thanks for the suggestion - I was looking into a snap and go, but didn't want to buy yet another stroller (LOL). It may make the most sense though.

Good topic! I think when we cruise in March 2012 I will probably take our Ergo carrier (have you tried this one RizzoLee? I'm nursing too and I find it pretty comfy). Still not sure whether I'll take a full stroller or just an umbrella stroller. Ideally I want something that can lay flat so my daughter can sleep in it sometimes.

my son is 16 months and I've decides to take his bigger stroller from the travel system. I did this with DD when she was younger also for two main reasons. One, if DS falls asleep I can recline it and still be out and about not stuck in my cabin. Two, the large basket underneath gives lots of space for souvenirs, diaper bag, etc. My sons stroller is a Graco and is from the lite travel line. But even with my DDs bulkier Graco we never had any issue getting around the ship or ports. We are also taking a Kelty hiking kid pack for my hubby to carry DS in while in port. They are both totally comfortable when using it. I'm thinking we will use this when we go into Cabo because its a tender port and the backpack will probably make boarding and offloading the tenders much easier than the big stroller. Enjoy your cruise!

Good topic! I think when we cruise in March 2012 I will probably take our Ergo carrier (have you tried this one RizzoLee? I'm nursing too and I find it pretty comfy). Still not sure whether I'll take a full stroller or just an umbrella stroller. Ideally I want something that can lay flat so my daughter can sleep in it sometimes.

A Beco is similar at an Ergo - I like the Beco because I can back-carry when he's older, but am seriously considering swapping someone for either an Ergo or a Baby Bjorn!

my son is 16 months and I've decides to take his bigger stroller from the travel system. I did this with DD when she was younger also for two main reasons. One, if DS falls asleep I can recline it and still be out and about not stuck in my cabin. Two, the large basket underneath gives lots of space for souvenirs, diaper bag, etc. My sons stroller is a Graco and is from the lite travel line. But even with my DDs bulkier Graco we never had any issue getting around the ship or ports. We are also taking a Kelty hiking kid pack for my hubby to carry DS in while in port. They are both totally comfortable when using it. I'm thinking we will use this when we go into Cabo because its a tender port and the backpack will probably make boarding and offloading the tenders much easier than the big stroller. Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks! We also have a lite Graco. :) One of our carriers does back carry, but DS had a birth trauma that resulted in mild brain damage; as such, he has some issue with fine and gross motor, so we're not sure how he'll be able to handle a longer back carry yet.

A Beco is similar at an Ergo - I like the Beco because I can back-carry when he's older, but am seriously considering swapping someone for either an Ergo or a Baby Bjorn.

Thanks! We also have a lite Graco. :) One of our carriers does back carry, but DS had a birth trauma that resulted in mild brain damage; as such, he has some issue with fine and gross motor, so we're not sure how he'll be able to handle a longer back carry yet.

Please don't get a Bjorn, I'm assuming your son has an OT or PT you can ask about why it's not good to dangle baby boys by their groin, which is what the Bjorn does (at least the ones we have in Canada do!). The Ergo is likely a great solution, there is an extra flap for head support that still allows baby to see out the side but supports the head rather well. Plus they let the child sit, so the pressure is spread out over the buttocks and legs rather than just the pelvis...just like the Beco.

Ok, rant over! Along with car seats this is another one of my "things"!

By 9 months, my son was still in his infant seat in the car but we never used it as a carrier or as part of the travel system. We just put him directly into the stroller. It's not good to overuse the car seat anyway. If he can sit by himself in the stroller (which most babies can do by 6 months), it's much better to sit him directly in the stroller. The infant seat is just not a very good position for him to be in for long lengths of time. Given that, I'd just bring the umbrella stroller.

By 9 months, my son was still in his infant seat in the car but we never used it as a carrier or as part of the travel system. We just put him directly into the stroller. It's not good to overuse the car seat anyway. If he can sit by himself in the stroller (which most babies can do by 6 months), it's much better to sit him directly in the stroller. The infant seat is just not a very good position for him to be in for long lengths of time. Given that, I'd just bring the umbrella stroller.

OP stated that DS has gross/fine motor delays due to birth injuries. He may not be able to sit in an umbrella stroller for long periods.....but I may be assuming too much from a previous post. :confused:

OP stated that DS has gross/fine motor delays due to birth injuries. He may not be able to sit in an umbrella stroller for long periods.....but I may be assuming too much from a previous post. :confused:

Fair enough! I was just sharing my experience with my own son. We cruised with him at 9 months.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick word on gate checking strollers! Check your airline. We had no problem at all gate checking our City Mini on Jet Blue (we break it down and put it in a bag made specifically for the brand, but others don't) but American would not let us gate check the stroller. Their rule was that it had to be an umbrella stroller.

Edited to add: Sorry, after reading all the posts, I forgot that you said you would have to gate check the travel system, but not the umbrella! But I did notice a lot of travel systems being checked at the gate on some airlines!

Archived