Dawn/Jewel difference

Splatitudes

Okay, given that most of this is speculation, i'm trying to whip up a list of differences between the Dawn to the Jewel... please correct me or add as we go, as i'm sure i'm off in some areas!

-- the 4 "mystery cabins" on Deck 6 are gone, replaced by the meeting rooms that had been on Dawn's deck 12.

-- an extra set of restrooms off the 2nd level of the Stardust on Deck 6 fwd.

-- "Bar Central", deck 6 midships. Magnums, Shakers, and Maltings (along with an apparent open seating enclave and the Corona Cigar Club) blend together where Gatsby's and Le Bistro were on Dawn.

-- The expanded Le Bistro, where Impressions had been.

-- Azura on Jewel, appearing to be much smaller than Aqua on Dawn.

-- Tsar's Palace on Jewel has an extended seating area up the starboard side of deck 6 aft, that may or may not be totally separated from the main dining area. Any thoughts on this? private parties? large parties? special seating?

-- Chin Chin appears to be configured a bit differently and has a larger Teppanyaki room than Bamboo on Dawn.

-- Fyzz Lounge & Bar on Deck 7 appears larger than Dawn's Dazzles, and has no separate "martini room" like Dawn. Also, the addition of small "karaoke" rooms fwd in Fyzz.

-- The Photo Gallery/Art Gallery/Internet Cafe were moved to aft Deck 7, where Pearly Kings and Blue Lagoon were on Dawn.

-- On the Deck 8 level of the atrium, what was Salsa is now Blue Lagoon on the port side and Tango's Latin & Tapas on starboard. It appears as if the restaurants themselves are small areas along the windows and the open middle portion of the atrium is expanded open seating, though there still appears to be a bar where the bar was located in Salsa.

-- The internet cafe atrium area around deck 9 on Dawn appears to be gone on Jewel.

-- On the Dawn, there are 4 AEs and 2 BAs overlooking the stern on deck 9. On Jewel, this was reversed -- there are 4 BAs and 2 AEs.

-- On Deck 11, where the Spa was on Dawn is now a cabin area on Jewel. This allows for the addition of 7 AF minis overlooking the stern (2 handicap access, 2 adjoining!).

-- The Spa facilities have been moved to deck 12 fwd, where Spinnaker was on Dawn. The lap pool area appears to be overlooking the bow, as does much of the spa. Facilities also seem to be significantly larger - there's no "two story atrium" in the entrance like on Dawn, but the area seems much larger as far as functional square footage.

-- Instead of a small aft pool area, there's a large double-pool setup midships like on POA and Sun. There appear to be 3 or 4 more hottubs and a childrens' splash pool in this area, and Topsiders appears to remain.

-- Instead of Sprinkles, "The Grill" has been located in that spot, presumably to serve burgers, etc. poolside. The ice cream bar has been moved aft to inside the Garden Cafe.

-- The tiered pool structure of Dawn appears to be gone entirely - Deck 13 is open to Deck 12 (which seems flat) below.

-- The Library & Card rooms have been moved to forward on Deck 12 near the Spa.

-- The Kids' and Teens areas are now concentrated on Deck 12 port side, opposite the Garden Cafe. This includes the Kids' Club, Video Arcade, Teen Disco, and Teen Cinema.

-- Garden Cafe is longer and runs strictly on the starboard side. The Kids' Cafe area remains, but the serving area has been totally reconfigured into a "stations" system, seemingly much like Princess' Horizon Court on the newer vessels.

--The aft area overlooking the stern on Deck 12 finds the return of the Great Outdoors Cafe from POA and Sun, instead of the kids' pool area.

-- The Spinnaker has moved one deck up to forward Deck 13. There appears to be a slighty different configuration of the bar.

-- The Cinema is gone, and the meeting rooms have moved. This is replaced by extra open-deck space on deck 13 leading up to Spinnaker.

-- The Sky High Bar sits on deck 13 just forward of the pool area, and can be more compared, IMHO, to Champs on Sky/Sun than to Bimini on Dawn.

-- Cagney's has increased in size and now occupies its normal space as well as half the space that had been Star Bar. Star Bar still exists, but is smaller.

-- Of course, there's the whole deck (14) of the famous Courtyard Villas, but we all know that. :)

-- There's also a forward section of Deck 14, which is entirely an open-deck space for sunning.

Glad to see a discussion on the Jewel. With her not being built yet I am getting frustrated because there are not many threads, and once I have booked I like to get involved in discussions, questions, answers etc.

I guess we'll have to wait until August and then hopefully the threads will be coming thick and fast.

Interesting post!

Cheers

Lisa:D

Great summary :)

I am concerned with the reduction in main dining rooms. Impressions was my favorite room on the Dawn. I think it may be a bit too large for the Bistro. You lose that special intimate feel. In case you can not figure it out I don't like giant onboard resturants. Only ate breakfast in Venetian and a couple of dinners in 4 cruises on the Dawn.

The addition of the Outdoor Cafe is a good move and will add some relieve to the seating in the Garden Cafe. Always enjoyed breakfast aft on the Sun and the Norway.

It also looks like the Itailian restaraunt is in its own space on deck 12 instead of just a section of the Garden Cafe as on the Dawn. Hopefully they will dress it up like IL Adagio on the Sun.

oh, and I forgot to mention, Mama's Italian Kitchen now appears to be a designated restaurant space on the port side of Deck 12, instead of the "changing" of a section of the Garden Cafe to La Trattoria.

You beat me by 1 miute - I am slowing down :)

haha... yeah, i'm with you on Le Bistro. Of course I'll reserve judgment, but I agree in my initial thoughts -- seems like Tsar's Palace and Azura are the only "main" restaurants, yes? Also, i'm in total agreement on Great Outdoor being back. One of my favorite spots on Sky/POA. I'm also in favor of the "flat" pool design, and of course the extra aft cabins. :)

Also, I would expect the new serving layout in Garden Cafe should really help passenger flow...

-- The tiered pool structure of Dawn appears to be gone entirely - Deck 13 is open to Deck 12 (which seems flat) below.

Not sure why they would do that. I think that was first introduced on NCL with The Dreamward/ Windward. I think it breaks up what can feel like a sea of people in the main pool area.

I have to assume it gives them more area for pools. The "pool people" seem to complain about the limit pools space on the Dawn.

I always enjoyed sitting up high and looking down at the madhouse as passengers competed to see who get get their chairs closest to the pool. By the end of the day there was no path open to get to the pool :)

Thanks Splat,

You must have had a few" minutes " to spare to do this;) .

And they say she is a "sister ship" to the Dawn:confused:

Hey they are at least the same hieght and weight just laid out differently like many sisters. :D

It was a slow day, I was looking at brochures, and i was bored. :) Plus, i'm excited about the Jewel. :)

They're sisters, all right. Size, structure, and basic configuration are exactly the same. Just some tweaks here and there. :)

It was a slow day, I was looking at brochures, and i was bored. :) Plus, i'm excited about the Jewel. :)

They're sisters, all right. Size, structure, and basic configuration are exactly the same. Just some tweaks here and there. :)

Looks like a few major tweaks have been made. The addition of the courtyard villas and a second pool and the deletion of the cinema. I will also miss Impressions and hope the fact there will be only two main restaurants will not cause additional waiting at peak periods. Hopefully, the additional space in Cagney's, Le Bistro and Chin Chin will prevent that.

I understand what you mean. I guess it depends on what you're using the pool for. It makes sense to tier the decks to maximize space for deck chairs, etc.... although I haven't seen actual numbers to back that up, it may be a fair assumption....

that being said, I always liked the Sky/Sun pool areas MUCH more than Dawn's... I thought flow was better, it was overall larger, and I thought on events like the island night deck party, etc., flowed MUCH better... the conga lines/dance floors get going, all the activity takes place in a general area over 2 levels, unlike the tiers which cut down space and give the area a "choppy" feel. Of course, i'm a person who enjoys the "vibe" of the pool area, sitting at Topsiders and the nighttime parties and buffets more than laying out... for that, i always find a quiter spot away from the pool anyway.... JMHO. :)

Change is good. I will reserve judgement until I cruise on the Jewel in Sept. Not sure another twin sister is needed. The change does in fact look like it offers a larger and more open pool deck. Never had a problem with the pool area on the Sun

One other change that I noticed the forward hottub is gone :eek:

Looks like a few major tweaks have been made. The addition of the courtyard villas and a second pool and the deletion of the cinema. I will also miss Impressions and hope the fact there will be only two main restaurants will not cause additional waiting at peak periods. Hopefully, the additional space in Cagney's, Le Bistro and Chin Chin will prevent that.

Yeah, I think you're right. i'd imagine that even with one less "main" restaurant, the overall seating capacity for dining will be as high or higher... Tsar's Palace is larger, Mama's Kitchen is larger, Garden Cafe/Great Outdoors is larger, Le Bistro is larger, etc etc

What no cinema on the Jewel, cruising is the only time I ever get to watch movies. That is a bummer. Hope they have other activies to fill the afternoon, you can't spend all you time at the pool.

If nothing else the addional space will drive more onboard revenue :) The industry is all about revenue per passenger and % of capacity.

For some and extra $15 not to wait will be an issue.

I wonder, if the Jewel is "patterned" off the Dawn will there be a self-service laundry onboard. On a 13 day cruise that would be nice.

I used the laundry on both sailings on the Dawn and it was great. I looked at the deck plans on the Dawn and there was not a laundry drawn in on deck 11 where it is located. I hope that the same is for the Jewel and it is just not drawn on the plans.

Looking forward to the Maiden Voyage !!

Marilyn

• 2 months later...

I'm excited too!! It's only 5 months for me, but still seems too long!!

Thanks for the comparing Dawn with Jewel. I really hope there is a self-serve laundry on board. I didn't see any on the deck plans.

Thanks Splatitudes, for taking the time to put that list together. We were on the Dawn last year and are so much looking forward to being on the Jewel in November. We live an hour north of Boston. The Jewel is to be docked in Boston this summer for one night and we are going down to take a look from shore!

Bobbi

If you look at the deck plans for the Dawn you will not see any laundries on any deck plan. I know there were self service laundries because I used the one on deck 11.

I am planning on using the self service laundry on both my sailings on the Jewel. If there isn't one, I better hope I have $$$ to spend on having our clothes cleaned. I am going to pack soap and dryer sheets (hint: pack the dryer sheets in your suitcase out of the box between your clothes. It makes your clothes smell great.)

Marilyn

If you look at the deck plans for the Dawn you will not see any laundries on any deck plan. I know there were self service laundries because I used the one on deck 11.

I am planning on using the self service laundry on both my sailings on the Jewel. If there isn't one, I better hope I have $$$ to spend on having our clothes cleaned. I am going to pack soap and dryer sheets (hint: pack the dryer sheets in your suitcase out of the box between your clothes. It makes your clothes smell great.)

Marilyn

I read somewhere there are laundries same location as the Dawn on 9 10 & 11

Archived