Rough seas in a 4J cabin - anyone experienced this?

DurkinDurkin

We were on Glory to Bermuda from Norfolk last week. Our dinner companions were in a 4j on Empress (Deck 7). I asked them early in the cruise if they could feel a lot of motion up there and they responded not really. However, the next to last night, on the way back from Bermuda, the seas were rough (I think there was a storm and rain as well), and they said it was not only the rough seas that made the night uncomfortable in that room, it was also the banging from the waves constantly beating against the ship that was pretty unbearable. They had to leave the cabin during the night to get relief. We were in a midship interior cabin on the same deck and felt nothing unusual. Another person on our roll call was in a porthole on Main (Deck 2) and she had pretty much the same to report as our dinner companions. So it is something to think about when considering booking this category.

Thank you for your comments. My sister (who cruises alot, although she always goes south from NY and we are going north from NY) has warned us about the risk of being too far forward in the event of rough seas, having experienced same herself. Since we do not cruise much, I don't really want to take the risk of getting seasick. Again, thanks!

My MIL had an inside cabin across from the 4J's on Lido deck (10) when we sailed on the Dream a few weeks ago. She said it was rough. She didn't get seasick, but she did experience a lot of banging, shuddering, and pitching (up and down).

She visited us quite a few times in our midship cabin on Upper deck (6) and she said that she could tell there's a HUGE difference.

Had a 4J on the Glory deck 6... fine untill the last sea day.... as we hit the tornado coming out of NYC... it was rough... I was okay.. but BFF not so much... and have to say that the rocking of the boat even woke me up... and i sleep through every thing!

My husband gets seasick but we continue to book 4J's and Portholes because they are a great deal, and Bonine takes care of his seasickness.

I don't remember it feeling rough in our last 4J though... but it was a Southern Caribbean in July so a pretty calm area and time of year.

We'll be in a 4J on our upcoming cruise in January.

I have traveled in 4J's as well. I am confined to a wheelchair.

I think it is such poor planning to have the handicapped cabins at the front of the ship. I found it so far to get anywhere. I thought there was also more movement at the front of the ship. Pretty ridiculous to put people who use wheels where there is more movement. Many times my wheelchair would roll all over the cabin when I was in bed because I forgot to set my wheelchair break.

Archived