seafood in the Caribbean

Blazer2

Just having sailed on the Jade (Mediterranean) there was a complete lack of seafood entrees.......never once a shrimp cocktail in the non-pay restaurants, no clams, no mussels, all the fish entrees tasted like prefrozen. (there was calamari which was good).

Looking at the Pearl for the Caribbean, can anyone tell me if there was seafood on the menus, at least shrimp cocktail?

Thanks, any tips for the Pearl?

The shrimp cocktail in the MDRs is now tiny bay shrimp (very salty)...not worth wishing for in my opinion. However, on the Pearl last year, i found large shrimp cocktails in the buffet, over by the bread...they would go fast, but they had a server there making them up right there, so the wait was not long.

I think that typically you will find one entree in the MDRs each night that is fish, and there is the always-available broiled salmon.

You can assume that all the fish / shell fish that is served on the ship is frozen when it arrives on the ship and was loaded at its original port of departure...maybe on longer voyages, they may re-provision some in a port of call, but most ports can't supply the quantities needed.

My experience is that if you want good seafood, eat on land near the water. The ship is going to carry frozen and usually farm raised seafood unless you pay a premium.

I've been on the Pearl and the seafood is OK if you don't mind the above limitations. When I want GOOD seafood, I head for the coast.

My experience is that if you want good seafood, eat on land near the water. The ship is going to carry frozen and usually farm raised seafood unless you pay a premium.

I've been on the Pearl and the seafood is OK if you don't mind the above limitations. When I want GOOD seafood, I head for the coast.

That would sum it up.

Archived