So is the new tipping rate screwing the crew over now?

So the old autotip included $1 for asst. waiter and cooks, now its $2 to the Kitchen,entertainment,guest services,and other hotel staff and John Heald?:confused: (Ok, I threw that last one in:D)

So now the asst. waiter is out,the dancers are in,the Pursers are in,and who is the other hotel staff??

The move also represents a change in how Carnival distributes tips to crew. The old tipping levels were broken down as follows (per day): $5.50 to the headwaiter/waiter, $1 to the assistant waiter/cooks and $3.50 to the cabin steward. The new guidelines allocate $5.80 to dining room services, $3.70 to cabin services and $2 per day for alternative services, which include kitchen, entertainment, guest services and other hotel staff members. "The increase in the recommended gratuities amount will result in increased compensation for impacted crew

I don't care that the tips are going up... I do find it weird that money is going to people you wouldn't tip in any other establishment. I don't tip entertainers when I got Vegas, Disney or elsewhere. I also don't tip guest services or hotel staff other than housekeeping. I think its bizarre. Whatever. Overall I don't care, but I think entertainment and normal hotel costs should be included in the price of the cruise, otherwise its not really all inclusive anymore is it?

Why are we now paying for less entertainment. Carnival is giving less and we are now paying more to people who in my opinion do not deserve being "tipped".

No $1.50 will not break me but I would expext it to go to my room stewards or waiters. Who are these hotel staff and guest services they speak off? Just my thoughts.

I don't care that the tips are going up... I do find it weird that money is going to people you wouldn't tip in any other establishment. I don't tip entertainers when I got Vegas, Disney or elsewhere. I also don't tip guest services or hotel staff other than housekeeping. I think its bizarre. Whatever. Overall I don't care, but I think entertainment and normal hotel costs should be included in the price of the cruise, otherwise its not really all inclusive anymore is it?

You are right Carnival is now a pay as you go cruise line.

My husband and I were just talking about that paragraph. I am more than happy that the room stewards and dining crew will be getting more and I assumed the extra dollar would be going to the kitchen and buffet crew. I thought that was a great idea, especially since the Lido table service has gone significantly downhill. I was hoping a "raise" would improve that.

Probably not now....

Do the entertainment and Guest Services Staff not get paid a reasonable salary?

Why are we now paying for less entertainment. Carnival is giving less and we are now paying more to people who in my opinion do not deserve being "tipped".

No $1.50 will not break me but I would expext it to go to my room stewards or waiters. Who are these hotel staff and guest services they speak off? Just my thoughts.

Hotel Staff include the laundry people.

Cannot pre pay now unless you pay the $11.50 that they announced YESTERDAY. What is wrong with this picture. Customers are given LESS then 24 hours notice of an increase. That is wrong in my opinion.

Yes I know I can tip who I choose. You better believe I will keep this in mind when I sail in January.

2.0 has to be paid for some way.

The Ironic part is that they do not apply if you PRE-PAY the tips. Carnival is the only cruise company I know of that won't accept pre-payment!

You can pre pay your tips on Carnival.

I don't understand why we're tipping more staff members. The only people I should be tipping are those who provide an immediate service to me - waitstaff, cooks at made-to-order stations & the cabin steward & assistant. I don't see any reason to tip the entertainment staff. As a general rule, we don't attend any of the shows or participate in the contests or events they host. They don't enhance my cruise or provide a service to me. Everyone who is not in an actual service role with customers should be provided a living wage & not be dependent on tips. The behind the scenes folks should not be reliant on tips.

It is $1.50 per day.

To be succinct and within CC guidelines:

• I don't give a poop
  • It is $1.50 per day. I can afford it, if I couldn't I would not be traveling for vacations.
  • I honestly don't give a poop who gets it. Auto tips are easy and are put in place for a reason. To make vacations easy. I don't want to throw 15 envelopes in my suitcase and chase I Made around the Taste of Nations on the last day so I can reward him handsomely with $5 for taking my dirty lunch dishes away.
  • If the system didn't work, cruise ships would not have staff working on them.

Take a pill, relax and let people much smarter than you make good decisions that ensure your future quality vacation.

If it is that big of a deal to you, book a different vacation.

It is $1.50 per day.

• I don't give a poop
  • It is $1.50 per day. I can afford it, if I couldn't I would not be traveling for vacations.
  • I honestly don't give a poop who gets it. Auto tips are easy and are put in place for a reason. To make vacations easy. I don't want to throw 15 envelopes in my suitcase and chase I Made around the Taste of Nations on the last day so I can reward him handsomely with $5 for taking my dirty lunch dishes away.

Take a pill, relax and let people much smarter than you make good decisions that ensure your future quality vacation.

I could have not said it better myself!:p

It is $1.50 per day.

• I don't give a poop

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner.:)

Yeah, this is pretty meaningless to make a big deal over. For anyone with a lick of sense on how to control their own spending, the base price of a cruise is ridiculously low, and it's still a big bargain compared to most other vacations.

I don't understand why we're tipping more staff members. The only people I should be tipping are those who provide an immediate service to me - waitstaff, cooks at made-to-order stations & the cabin steward & assistant. I don't see any reason to tip the entertainment staff. As a general rule, we don't attend any of the shows or participate in the contests or events they host. They don't enhance my cruise or provide a service to me. Everyone who is not in an actual service role with customers should be provided a living wage & not be dependent on tips. The behind the scenes folks should not be reliant on tips.

Entertainment staff doesn't just go for performers, they are anyone who interacts with the guests. Maybe you're the kind of cruiser who just vegatates in the cabin or by the pool, but don't put them down. I enjoy the games & contests they run & think they deserve being added to the staff tips.

Archived