Have we been lied to by CCL and JH? Tipping thing again

We were told under the old system by JH that $5.50 went to the Waiter and the asst.Waiter and the extra $1 went to the behind the scenes,such as lido.The new break down is as follows and note what I highlighted.

The move also represents a change in how Carnival distributes tips to crew. The old tipping levels were broken down as follows (per day): $5.50 to the headwaiter/waiter, $1 to the assistant waiter/cooks and $3.50 to the cabin steward. The new guidelines allocate $5.80 to dining room services, $3.70 to cabin services and $2 per day for alternative services, which include kitchen, entertainment, guest services and other hotel staff members. "The increase in the recommended gratuities amount will result in increased compensation for impacted crew

So this whole time it was the Headwaiter who got the big bucks and the assistant shared in that extra buck. The headwaiter does/did very little while the waiter and asst. busted their arse.

We were told under the old system by JH that $5.50 went to the Waiter and the asst.Waiter and the extra $1 went to the behind the scenes,such as lido.The new break down is as follows and note what I highlighted.

The move also represents a change in how Carnival distributes tips to crew. The old tipping levels were broken down as follows (per day): $5.50 to the headwaiter/waiter, $1 to the assistant waiter/cooks and $3.50 to the cabin steward. The new guidelines allocate $5.80 to dining room services, $3.70 to cabin services and $2 per day for alternative services, which include kitchen, entertainment, guest services and other hotel staff members. "The increase in the recommended gratuities amount will result in increased compensation for impacted crew

So this whole time it was the Headwaiter who got the big bucks and the assistant shared in that extra buck. The headwaiter does/did very little while the waiter and asst. busted their arse.

No.....you are reading this incorrectly.

The wait staff share in the $5.50 (now $5.80)

They used to have 2 man teams....now most ships have 3 man teams....

First off, no you're not being lied to. That's just silly.

Second, there is a chain of command that any organization follows. The assistant waiters may make slightly less BUT how do we know how long they are actually an assitant waiter? AND, how do we know that they don't get slightly more base salary to make up for it? The assistant waiters are probably very new and still learning somewhat. It's not different from how an intern makes half as much as a more senior employee.

You're over analyzing things in my opinion.

Seriously? You really have nothing more to do with your time than look up just how your gratuities on a Carnival cruise are allocated?? I'm sorry - but I just don't care that much about it. I've never cruised before, but I know how hard those staff onboard work to please people.

Book a cruise already - you need to chill out.

..Trin..

Seriously, when you go to a restaurant on land, do you ask when leaving a tip how that tip will be allocated? If Carnival has an equitable system in place (and I assume they do, otherwise why would the excellent staff stay for years?), why is it any of our business?

The headwaiter/waiter are the waiter/asst. waiter. I think you are thinking confusing the Maitre 'D w/ the headwaiter.

Nope I don't think so,but I could be wrong,here's the job description of a headwaiter and note who his or her subordinates are.

Cruise Ship Head Waiter/ Waitress (Chef de Rang) job description - the Head Waiter (also called Chef de Rang) is a one stripe officer who reports directly to the ship's Assistant Maitre D'/ Asst. Restaurant Manager and to the ship's Maitre D'/ Restaurant Manager and directly supervises, trains and monitors the performance of the subordinate F&B positions assigned to his/ her work station - Waiter and Assistant Waiter.

More....

http://www.cclcareers.com/fun-careers/hotel-operations/food-and-beverage.aspx

One of the many highlights of our guest’s cruise vacations is the incredible dining experience offered on board. Our energetic, friendly and professional restaurant service staff provides world-class service while creating a fun, festive atmosphere in all of our restaurants on board.

The Restaurant Service Department includes Maitre D’s, Asst Maitre D’s, Hostesses, Team Waiters and Team Head Waiters

You know I will have to say I am one of those people that kind of had blinders on when it came to where the tips go:confused: I just assumed

they were fair with their people . Now we would tip our waiters extra and asst. extra but I would usually leave the waiter a little more as he was the head waiter. Now that I sit here and think about it I kind of feel stupid , as the asst. does bust his butt and do most of the physical work , I guess the same reason we tip our room steward over and beyond as he bust his butt and I will say it I very rarely tip the the Matre'd for doing nothing in my eyes espescially the ones that NEVER come around until the night before tip night and then ask how is everything. I have had some that come around every night and I think are great . Our last cruise he never ever spoke to us even as we walked in. Now tell me why should I tip for that. I would rather give a tip to drink waiter that has my wifes sodas waiting on her and finds us all over the ship.

Thanks for that break down Good info to have. :):)

Seriously? You really have nothing more to do with your time than look up just how your gratuities on a Carnival cruise are allocated?? I'm sorry - but I just don't care that much about it. I've never cruised before, but I know how hard those staff onboard work to please people.

Book a cruise already - you need to chill out.

..Trin..

So true! I could care less about this whole tipping thing. So many threads on here about the tips, being lied to, etc. Stop it already! The staff work very hard on these cruises, I do not envy them one bit. They deserve this.

OP, why so many anti threads?

The entertainment staff and a few new others getting a piece of the new pie and those who bust their arse are getting peanuts out of the deal.

CCL, just line BOA, needs to rethink their position IMHO.

If enough of a fuss is raised,something might get done,so I will bring it to front and center again and again. I already got on the CC main page for my "This Economy" posting.

The entertainment staff and a few new others getting a piece of the new pie and those who bust their arse are getting peanuts out of the deal.

CCL, just line BOA, needs to rethink their position IMHO.

If enough of a fuss is raised,something might get done,so I will bring it to front and center again and again. I already got on the CC main page for my "This Economy" posting.

And we're all very proud of you.

You guys are missing the point. Should companies pay the vice presidents and CEOS less because they are not doing the tactical work anymore?

The more experience you, the more you get paid. The more you get paid, the more responsibility you have. Sure, don't get me wrong the assistant waiters work very hard and have a more physical job - but the head waiters are also responsible for them, the overall service and will likely be the ones to train them and take on more managerial responsibility. They also likely worked their way up for many years on ships to get the position of head waiter. You don't just start as a head waiter, you start at the bottom and work your way up.

This is also no different from restaurants on land. The busboys/hostess/bartenders get a certain percentage of your waiter's tips. Those that want to make more, work their way up and become servers.

OP, you really need to...

Let. It. Go.

It's very clear by all the threads/polls you have started on this issue, along with your postings, how upset you are about this. Poor dead horsey.

thumbnail.aspx?q=1265178655533&id=c9741597757a7c221ed4177ec76de667&url=http%3a%2f%2f1632.org%2fImages%2fDeadHorse.gif

DITTO. You are sounding like a pot stirrer! (Not cute graphics to follow.)

I have never seen so much drama over $1.50/day. Yes it is a 15% increase, but they have not had a raise in years. This does not impact me, if it did I shouldn't be cruising. Not saying someones opinion is wrong, but really, how many threads are going to be started on an extra $10.50 for a week cruise?

Archived