Sea Lice ?

hsc

Unfortunatly, yes! We went snorkeling at Dzul Ha in Cozumel and I swam into a floating cloud. It burned like fire. I went to the restrooms and washed off the best I could. When I returned to ship I showered and lotioned. By then it wasn't so bad and by the next morning the red welts were all but gone. That was the first time that ever happened and hopefully the last time.

Angie

Carnival Ecstasy 1999

Norwegian Sea 2001

Norwegian Sun 2001

Norwegian Dawn 2003

Norwegian Dream 2004

Carribean Princess Sept. 2004

Lets not get "sealice" confused with land dwelling "sand fleas".

Sea lice are actually free swimming Cnidarians which are related to jelly fish and corals. It is the nematocysts, or stinging cells which cause discomfort.

Vinegar is extremely effective in neutralizing the microscopic stinging cells, which can continue to fire even out of water and after the organism is dead. People who are prone to allergic reaction may want to keep items such as hydrocortizone handy.

It should also be noted that t-shirts and other additional clothing in the water will only serve to trap the larvae in the fibers and actually increase the irritation area.

Greeze, I never heard of sealice before and hope I never do again thank you! NMNita

Commodore 1984, Costa 1985, RCL 1987, Chandris 1989, NCL 1989, Commodore, 1991, NCL 1997, Carnival 1997, Carnival 1998,NCL 1998, NCL 1999, RCL 2000, RCL 2000, NCL 2002,NCL 2003, Celebrity 2003, NCL 2004

Hi!

From our experience, we take along a product called "After Bite" or "After Bite Extra". You can pick it up at CVS or your local drug store. I'm sure even Walmart or Target might have it. It comes in a small container that looks like a pencil, so it's easy to take along. Provides fast relief from insect bites and stings and marine pests! The main ingredient is Ammonia.

Just a suggestion.

UNTIL the MAJESTY to BERMUDA !

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;7;18;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

awww, geezzz, now I've got sealice to think about. icon_confused.gif

Anybody want to buy a slightly used set of snorkel gear - Pebbles'll never go in the water now.... especially after we were visited by a shark while snorkeling in Maui... icon_eek.gif

I diito NMNita - never again..I hope...

BAMnJAM

Carnival Imagingation '96

RCC Majesty '98

Sun Princess '00

NCL Star '04

Cruisin's not just an adventure, it's an Attitude!!

Proud member (x2) of the PPS - yeah!!

I was looking forwrd to snorkeling again in Roatan: maybe I will just enjoy the sun next trip! NMNita

Commodore 1984, Costa 1985, RCL 1987, Chandris 1989, NCL 1989, Commodore, 1991, NCL 1997, Carnival 1997, Carnival 1998,NCL 1998, NCL 1999, RCL 2000, RCL 2000, NCL 2002,NCL 2003, Celebrity 2003, NCL 2004

I would go in the water! Enjoy yourself and don't think about it. We always carry a relief tube, but been on eight cruises and never even seen a jellyfish or sea lice. I'm sure they're out there, but we have no experience with them and I hope it stays that way! We just feel better being prepared, just in case.

If I had any reason to think they were out where I was swimming at the time, I'd get out of the water. We've been to South Beach in Miami and they have signs posted to be aware of sea lice. But then again, I've never seen them there either!

Go snorkeling and have fun!

UNTIL the MAJESTY to BERMUDA !

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;7;18;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

We had a problem with the sea lice in NY Fire island. Different reaction. They hid in your bathing suit and the next day if you didn't wash out the suit they bred. The kids at the beach were itching for weeks. fun right?

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;3;28;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Till NCL Dawn cruise

SEA SAFE is a very good product to use in the Summer in the Caribbean (and other very warm water areas as well) to avoid Sea Lice. Also, it sure does help to shower in fresh water as soon as possible after your ocean swim. Don't forget to WASH your bathing suit in warm soapy water. Really, it's seldom a big problem.

Sometimes, Sand Fleas can be really bad! Products with a high level of DEET are good for keeping these pests away.

Try not to worry about it! Probably, the best thing you can do is to make sure ALL clothes are washed after being in the ocean. Enjoy your cruise!

Happy Sailing! icon_cool.gif

I agree with ocruisers, hit the showers asap and wash out the suits. There really isn't anyway to know. Sometimes the local paper will feature an article about it after the fact. It only happened once and it was August. It never happened to me in the carib or Florida. I think it might be a seasonal thing like jellyfish. Don't worry about it, just enjoy the cruise and have fun.

Rainy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;3;28;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Till NCL Dawn cruise

We had sea lice while snorkeling in Fiji...(by the way,the coral was amazing)... The sea lice felt like electric shocks biting, but we had no irritation whatsoever after we got out.... Have fun! icon_smile.gif

Holiday '96

Holiday '97

Inspiration '97

Fascination '98

Holiday '99

Viking Serenade '01

Grand Princess '02

Monarch of the Seas Nov.'03

Norwegian Sun April 2004

A BAD CRUISE IS BETTER THAN NO CRUISE!!!!!!!

My experience with the critters happened in Feb. This was my 4th time snorkeling in Coz and the only incident I have ever had with them. I have snorkeled (and will soon be diving) all over the eastern and western Carribean and that one annoying occurence won't keep me out of the water.

BTW bambam I go in the water specifically looking for sharks. Where off Maui were you when you saw the shark?

Angie

Carnival Ecstasy 1999

Norwegian Sea 2001

Norwegian Sun 2001

Norwegian Dawn 2003

Norwegian Dream 2004

Carribean Princess Sept. 2004

Holy heck. icon_eek.gif I'm leaving in 2 weeks for Hawaii and my daughter, although a great swimmer, is terrified of sharks! Yes bambam please tell me about the Maui shark episode so I can be prepared to deal with this.

If we run into a shark she may never swim again!!

(assuming we don't get eaten that is.)

Gardencat: I don't know if anyone has answered you yet because I think you have asked this before, but there have been a couple of shark attacks recently and one man was killed. I think that was the first shark death though in a very long time. Another woman surfer is missing (last I heard) though some are saying she was abducted and some are saying it was a shark attack. They did find her board 6 miles from where she was (I think) and some experts are saying a shark might have cut the line that goes to her ankle.

That is on different islands. There are like MILLIONS who swim in our waters and never have a problem or ever see a shark outside of the aquariums...so the percentage is extremely small. But...the threat is there. They will close the beach after an attack until they are sure no more sharks are in the area.

It is their home too out there and usually they stay far enough away but sometimes if the seas are rough and churn up the sand and stuff or other reasons they might come in closer than they had intended to.

Sorry...but I wanted to let you know the scoop.

Emi

NCL Star-08/31/03 in Hawaii!

NCL Star-11/13/04 to Mexico!

Alaska summer 2005!

Thanks Sweet Emi,

Kind of puts sealice in perspective doesn't it? Now what to do. If I tell my daughter about this she probably won't go in the ocean and she was looking forward to trying scuba diving but... if it is a possibility, she should be aware... fudge icon_confused.gif

I'm the world's biggest chicken of the sea...but I've been in it snorkeling and looking at all the beautiful fish and you just forget those fears for awhile. You know except for scuba diving in a lake or a pool or something those kind of fish/animals will be out there no matter what. It's like watching out for human sharks...just be aware of your surroundings and take precautions. It's the best you can do.

Emi

NCL Star-08/31/03 in Hawaii!

NCL Star-11/13/04 to Mexico!

Alaska summer 2005!

lawofraven,

We were on the Star in Feb., and took the West Maui Select Snorkel excursion. The boat ride was for about 45 minutes to an isolated land mass next to a bigger island. Sorry, can't give you a name.

Anyways, we saw some really nice coral, plenty of schools of yellow, blue, silver, and b&w fish, a morey eel in the coral (looked like one anyway), and while swimming around, this bottom-feeding shark with white-tips appeared. icon_eek.gif

Being the normal, fair-weather kind of guy that I am, my first reaction was to see how far I was from the boat, pondering if I could generate enough speed to walk...er run on water in flippers. icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

Much to my surprise, the guide grabbed one of the other snorkeler's h2o camera, dived down to the shark, patted him(her?) on the butt and took a picture as he/her swam away.

Talk about big kahunas....

Honestly, I couldn't really "recommend" this site as the shark was probably a once-in-a-while deal, yet the "Dive-In" guide seemed to be on a first name basis with the beast.

PS: The excursion left from the same pier as the Pacific Whale Foundation's tour.

BAMnJAM

Carnival Imagingation '96

RCC Majesty '98

Sun Princess '00

NCL Star '04

Cruisin's not just an adventure, it's an Attitude!!

Proud member (x2) of the PPS - yeah!!

Archived