Another tipping angle - Are the Cheapest Cruisers the most upset?

steveNcindy

After reading through the cornucopia of tipping threads the last 2 days, I am starting to think:

a) People who don't book the cheapest cabin available and don't worry too much about the on board account are not too bent about this. It is $1.50 pp pd after all in extra cost - not a real deal breaker.

b) People who do book the cheapest cabin available and worry about the on board account are very upset by this. This change may make it impossible to vacation for less than $59 pp pd for a week.

c) People who are maybe possibly vacationing on a cruise ship when they shouldn't be as their finances don't allow it are very upset by this. When $3.00 a couple extra could make or break a vacation, another less expensive vacation may well be in order.

d) Many people seem to be deciding who this new redistribution of tips are going to and are very upset about it. I have read nothing, except here, that says the fella washing the towels is now getting extra. I have not read anything, other than here, that says the assistant to the assistant to the junior assistant cruise director in waiting is getting a cut to host Trivia. This seems to upset many people.

e) Some people just need to reinforce their tin foil hats, there is no conspiracy. Just an adjustment to bring the recommended gratuity amount in line with other lines. Maybe, just maybe, Carnival is losing good staff to competitors and that is another reason service seems to be slipping.

f) If all this bothers you too much, you maybe don't realize gratuities are still optional - both in the amount you tip and how you tip. You still have control - make your decision and do what seems right to you.

I personally, right or wrong, don't really care too much. If I cruise again, I will do what I have done in the past. Leave the auto tip alone, let Carnival divvy it up and go about my merry way. I am on vacation and am not going to stick money in 22 different envelopes and run around the ship trying to get everyone. I get one southern warm escape winter vacation per year and the extra $1.50 per person per day does not make me want to go to this trouble. If the staff don't like the way things are done, they are free to seek employment in greener pastures.

Love

Steve

After reading through the cornucopia of tipping threads the last 2 days, I am starting to think:

a) People who don't book the cheapest cabin available and don't worry too much about the on board account are not too bent about this. It is $1.50 pp pd after all in extra cost - not a real deal breaker.

b) People who do book the cheapest cabin available and worry about the on board account are very upset by this. This change may make it impossible to vacation for less than $59 pp pd for a week.

c) People who are maybe possibly vacationing on a cruise ship when they shouldn't be as their finances don't allow it are very upset by this. When $3.00 a couple extra could make or break a vacation, another less expensive vacation may well be in order.

d) Many people seem to be deciding who this new redistribution of tips are going to and are very upset about it. I have read nothing, except here, that says the fella washing the towels is now getting extra. I have not read anything, other than here, that says the assistant to the assistant to the junior assistant cruise director in waiting is getting a cut to host Trivia. This seems to upset many people.

e) Some people just need to reinforce their tin foil hats, there is no conspiracy. Just an adjustment to bring the recommended gratuity amount in line with other lines. Maybe, just maybe, Carnival is losing good staff to competitors and that is another reason service seems to be slipping.

f) If all this bothers you too much, you maybe don't realize gratuities are still optional - both in the amount you tip and how you tip. You still have control - make your decision and do what seems right to you.

I personally, right or wrong, don't really care too much. If I cruise again, I will do what I have done in the past. Leave the auto tip alone, let Carnival divvy it up and go about my merry way. I am on vacation and am not going to stick money in 22 different envelopes and run around the ship trying to get everyone. I get one southern warm escape winter vacation per year and the extra $1.50 per person per day does not make me want to go to this trouble. If the staff don't like the way things are done, they are free to seek employment in greener pastures.

Love

Steve

I could not agree with you more, Cindy.

Love

Steve

207.gif

Interesting observations. I am a balcony or higher only cruiser, and I don't worry per say about my own board account, but I do budget for every aspect of a vacation. On my current cruise budget spreadsheet - I actually have 3 tip cells. One for the recommended gratuities, one for extra on board tips, and the third for other tippage (porters, taxis, etc).

Now - I prefer to pre-pay the gratuities and have already made final payment. Therefore I only paid the $10 pp/pd. That bugs me. So when I found out about the increase, I put an extra $21 into the "extra on board tips" cell. I wonder what the look on the faces of GS will be when I insist they add the extra charge to my S&S account to pay the deficit in my pre-paid tips.

Chahh, not exactly.

I'm fairly frugal compared to most other cruisers. I have no interest in paying the high prices for drinks, or the steak house, or Carnival excursions, or balconies and suites. I don't gamble. I don't shop on board. I'm a photographer, so skip the pictures.

On my last cruise I bought a soda card and that's about it on the ship. I spent nearly as much on extra tips that week as I spent on private excursions combined, starting with an extra $50 for my room steward, and good tips for the MDR wait staff, various soda stations on board, and a darn nice tip for a private tour guide on Roatan (nearly the same as the actual cost of the tour). I enjoy showing my gratification to people who deserve recognition for a job well done.

It is possible to spend your money wisely without being a cruel money-grubbing jerk to hardworking members of the crew.

a) b) People who do book the cheapest cabin available and worry about the on board account are very upset by this. This change may make it impossible to vacation for less than $59 pp pd for a week.

Some people need to be very careful about what they spend and cruising is a real treat for them. I think your comments are rather condescending. If there are more than a couple of you this can be real money if you are having to watch every penny.

And also interesting that you rarely hear this kind of statement when the issue of smuggling booze onboard comes up. Then- I don't even know what to say. In fact what are you really saving?

a) b) People who do book the cheapest cabin available and worry about the on board account are very upset by this. This change may make it impossible to vacation for less than $59 pp pd for a week.

Some people need to be very careful about what they spend and cruising is a real treat for them. I think your comments are rather condescending. If there are more than a couple of you this can be real money if you are having to watch every penny.

And also interesting that you rarely hear this kind of statement when the issue of smuggling booze onboard comes up. Then- I don't even know what to say. In fact what are you really saving?

1) I smuggle booze - you can either post the pic or I can later. It is up to you as I have nothing to hide. I smuggle a good amount of booze on board and still spend a good chunk of change on board on drinks on top of that.

2) I have no problem at all with people who vacation wisely and within their budget.

I do have a problem though with people who complain that vacation costs are going up, service is going down, etc etc etc and then in the next breath proudly proclaim they get the cheapest room available and don't spend a cent on board. The next thread you see them in is an "on board self supplied alcohol procurement" thread casting stones at all the smugglers who cause the cruise price to go up. Please don't make me find an example as you have been here for as long as I have and you know there are those people posting here.

And also- some of you are really quite proud of yourselves for how you treat the staff- the look on their face when I insist on paying more- What are you thinking? Do it and don't boast about it.

Some of you...??? Please elaborate :confused:

If you wish to tip extra go crazy, too many here think leaving extra tips are a Cruise Badge of Honour.

If you don't, that is your choice.

If you choose to just leave the auto tips as is, what is wrong with that - be it $10 per day or $11.50 per day :confused:

1) I smuggle booze - you can either post the pic or I can later. It is up to you as I have nothing to hide. I smuggle a good amount of booze on board and still spend a good chunk of change on board on drinks on top of that. Good lord- why would I do that? I don't have anyones pictures, and really wan't thinking of anyone. It was a generic comment about how in when people discuss smuggling booze that nobody tries to say- it is those who pay least-

2) I have no problem at all with people who vacation wisely and within their budget.

I do have a problem though with people who complain that vacation costs are going up, service is going down, etc etc etc and then in the next breath proudly proclaim they get the cheapest room available and don't spend a cent on board. The next thread you see them in is an "on board self supplied alcohol procurement" thread casting stones at all the smugglers who cause the cruise price to go up. Please don't make me find an example as you have been here for as long as I have and you know there are those people posting here.

I do think that probably more than would admit to it (especially in today's economy) have to watch what they spend very carefully. One of my group in my upcoming cruise is that way- he really is on the edge but wants very much to join in. Every extra $10 does mean something to him. I just don't think that everyone who is cutting corners Should Find Another Way to Vacation.

Some of you...??? Please elaborate :confused:

If you wish to tip extra go crazy, too many here think leaving extra tips are a Cruise Badge of Honour.

If you don't, that is your choice.

If you choose to just leave the auto tips as is, what is wrong with that - be it $10 per day or $11.50 per day :confused:

Sorry, I found one of the comments above offensive. I agree- tipping should not be a Badge of Honor that will gain you admiring looks from people. And what people, IN GOOD FAITH, tip is their business.

Interesting observations. I am a balcony or higher only cruiser, and I don't worry per say about my own board account, but I do budget for every aspect of a vacation. On my current cruise budget spreadsheet - I actually have 3 tip cells. One for the recommended gratuities, one for extra on board tips, and the third for other tippage (porters, taxis, etc).

Now - I prefer to pre-pay the gratuities and have already made final payment. Therefore I only paid the $10 pp/pd. That bugs me. So when I found out about the increase, I put an extra $21 into the "extra on board tips" cell. I wonder what the look on the faces of GS will be when I insist they add the extra charge to my S&S account to pay the deficit in my pre-paid tips.

I'm with you!!! I always tip generously and actually feel bad that I got in under the wire. We will definitely do something to correct that.

And by the way, OP, we always book the cheapest cabin and hold our expenses down so we can cruise more often and also treat others who are less fortunate.

Kathy

Please explain how leaving the auto tips in place is being a "money-grubbing jerk" :confused:

Didn't mention people who leave auto tips in place.

But I'll be more specific and narrow that comment to those who are outraged about a buck and an half more per day. I also include those who rip the entire crew of a ship because once one person didn't smile at them, or was rude to them (therefore, why should they have to tip?)

The tipping complaints are essentially dishonest, in my opinion, backed up by one special argument or another about how outrageously wrong this increase is, when frankly I don't believe the people shrieking the loudest would offer a single penny if it wasn't an automatic deduction on the Sail and Sign. And many of those remove tips, anyway.

It's always interesting to me (stone cold atheist) how so many people from one of the most religious nations on earth can manage to live such self-indulgent lives, seemingly oblivious to the writings in the New Testament.

1) I smuggle booze - you can either post the pic or I can later. It is up to you as I have nothing to hide. I smuggle a good amount of booze on board and still spend a good chunk of change on board on drinks on top of that.

Just curious. If you smuggle booze on board is that not being cheap? Sure you spend a chunk on drinks but clearly you spend less than if you didn't smuggle.

Enjoy your drinks though. I will enjoy mine as well when Bon Voyage delivers them to my stateroom. :D

I wouldn't have any issue with the increase except for the fact that it is going to people whom I think should be considered salaried by Carnival. Carnival is advertising it as the first increase in 10 years, but those tipped individuals really aren't seeing much of an increase. Instead, Carnival is spreading the tip pool among more employees so they can pay them less.

Now keeping in mind that the money for employee salaries is ultimately going to come from the guest in one form or another (tips or increased fares to pay increased base wages), I can't be that upset by it, but I would rather Carnival keep the old tipping structure in place (dining room and cabin staff) and spread the extra $1.50 amongst them rather than adding entertainment staff and guest services staff to the tip pool. The fact that Carnival is now including entertainment staff in the tip pool is only one step above allowing them to put a hat or violin case out in front of the stage.

I think that the staff deserves every cent of what amounts to a 15% increase over a 10 year period (averages out to 1.5% increase per year), but I'd rather see it go to the dining room and stateroom staff and have Carnival bundle the entertainment and guest services staff salaries into the base cost of the cruise.

Just my two cents.

Love

Steve

I personally book the cheapest oceanveiw room because the room is not as important to me and I am not complaining. Please do not assume that. I think the crew deserve the tips. I did see a distribution thing and hope the did not take any away from people just added more.

Sorry, I found one of the comments above offensive. I agree- tipping should not be a Badge of Honor that will gain you admiring looks from people. And what people, IN GOOD FAITH, tip is their business.

I'm sorry if my post offended you. That was not the intention. Rather, the gratuities are increasing effective 12-1-11. The people receiving the increase are essentially getting a raise on 12-1-11. However, everyone who pre-paid this item by then are "grandfathered" in at $10, instead of $11.50. Like I said, I feel bad about that and want to see that those get that increase also receive it from me. Just my principals - no bragging. The comment about "the look on their faces" well IMO in todays world, nobody expects for people to want to spend more, but I will in this case and very well expect to see a look of shock. No badge of honor - just my opinion that perhaps others share.

I do think that probably more than would admit to it (especially in today's economy) have to watch what they spend very carefully. One of my group in my upcoming cruise is that way- he really is on the edge but wants very much to join in. Every extra $10 does mean something to him. I just don't think that everyone who is cutting corners Should Find Another Way to Vacation.

I agree, everyone should vacation within their respective budgets. People who are "biting off more than they can chew" was more what I was aiming at with the "find a more budget appropriate vacation" comment

Agreed.

Just to clarify this

but those tipped individuals really aren't seeing much of an increase.

Let's figure this out. Each steward has what- 10 cabins? 15 cabins? (I really don't know). But at a minimum 10 cabins, all with at least 2 people. That is another $300 a month ? ($1 a day x 10 cabins x 30 days). That is not so bad honestly.

I rather agree about where some of it is going, but a $300 a month raise x12 months =$3,600 a year.

(Which is more of a raise than many of them would be making in total at home)

Archived