Question about Apple shop on Eclipse

Staplerman

Some Mac's yes. IPads, apparently not, as even the regular Apple stores have a hard time keeping inventory. The main advantage is that you would not pay any state's sales tax, so that would save 7% or so for many people.

If you just want to save your state sales tax, go to a local store, (or onboard) find the one you want and then buy it from an online retailer that does not have a presence in your state. Since I am not supposed to endorse any particular business here I can only say that I have purchased every one of my 20+ Macs and most of my iOS devices from a great online Apple reseller in Vermont. Do some research and you'll find them. No sales tax unless you live in Vermont.

If you just want to save your state sales tax, go to a local store, (or onboard) find the one you want and then buy it from an online retailer that does not have a presence in your state. Since I am not supposed to endorse any particular business here I can only say that I have purchased every one of my 20+ Macs and most of my iOS devices from a great online Apple reseller in Vermont. Do some research and you'll find them. No sales tax unless you live in Vermont.

Actually many states still require you to pay sales tax to the state you reside in, even if the out-of-state retailer does not charge you tax.

My observation has also been that the iLounges on board have an exreamly limited inventory and do not stock any of the more popular fast moving items.

I'll also add that, at least for USA passengers, your purchases on board are subject to US Duty when you return to the home and must be declared on your customs declaration form. Of course the purchases are subject to the customs exemptions and if total purchases are under the exemption then no duty will be charged, but they still must be declared.

It is a common misconception that the "duty free" shopping on board is not subject to duty when you return to the USA and that is definitely not the case.

Worse yet, don't even consider not declaring your ship board purchases because the cruise ship supplies a list of on-board purchases over a certain value to customs on ships disembarking at a USA port. As a result customs will be looking for you and you'll be in trouble if you don't self-report the items. I know this as we once bought an item over the exemption limit and when we declared the items at customs (on board the morning of disembarkation) they were checking off names on such a list.

I've read that many people purchase Apple products in St. Martin since it was tax-free. Just curious which would be a better saving St. Martin or onboard (iLounge)?

I am a Canadian and I am have $750 exemption, so I may consider buying an iPod Touch during my sailing.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived