Another Dubai Question

Skeezics

I'd like to ask my question again. How much will the visa at the Dubai airport cost?

Can you pay taxis with a credit card?

Thanks for your help. We leave in about 2 weeks.

From what I've read you no longer need a visa if you are from the USA.

i posted this link earlier. It says no passport.

http://www.uae-embassy.org/travel-culture/visas-passports

If this was me I would just call the consulate and you can get their phone number from their web site.

You can pay for the cab with USA dollars. I cannot remember if they take credit card as I never saw the need to use one.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I lived in the region for 4 years (Kuwait) and spend many a weekend in Dubai. As an American, never needed a Visa. Can't comment about Canadians.

Cabs are very good and cheap, Metered.

Lots of high end restaurants. Try Lebanese food or Middle Eastern food. Very enjoyable. Also a very large Indian population in Dubai with some good restaurants. Some of the meals in the 4 star hotels, including their breakfast buffets are amazing.

Great shopping in some of the souks. The gold souk is unbeleavable with best in the world craftsmanship and priced at the current gold prices.

Lots of very high end (think Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills or Orchard Road in Singapore) shopping centers. Great stuff but not cheap.

The souks are also great for spices and rugs. Expect to enjoy tea or Turkish coffee with the rug merchant and bargain.

Dubai reminds be of Las Vegas without gambling. If you are there for any more than a day, travel a bit further south to Oman. Muscat is great, with wonderful culture, beautiful beaches and a very large Mosque that non Muslims can enter. Cover bare arms and your head. Remove shoes and DO NOT walk on the carpets.

A word of caution. Prostitution is rampent. If you are traveling with females, or are females traveling alone, be cautious if in hotel bars, even five star hotels, as prostitutes are everywhere and you might be propositioned.

There is one Mosque that is open to not Muslims and gives a very interesting presentation on Islam. Fasinating culture and religion.

Enjoy

Rick

Archived