Another Dubai Question

Skeezics

Well, now that I have tea figured out, need advice on transportation in Dubai. My husband and I would like to hire a cab/car for the day. Seems the easiest way to get around during the time we are in port. Has anyone had experience with hiring a car in Dubai....We want to see the Burj Khalifa (will make a 10am reservation on line) then some of the souks and malls, over to the Burj A Arab for tea (have made a reservation) and back to ship or whatever. I spent an hour on line looking at options and at this point looks like you pick a cab from the queue at the port and ask for the day for around 500 AED. Would appreciate any input you may have. Thanks, Barbara

Well, now that I have tea figured out, need advice on transportation in Dubai. My husband and I would like to hire a cab/car for the day. Seems the easiest way to get around during the time we are in port. Has anyone had experience with hiring a car in Dubai....We want to see the Burj Khalifa (will make a 10am reservation on line) then some of the souks and malls, over to the Burj A Arab for tea (have made a reservation) and back to ship or whatever. I spent an hour on line looking at options and at this point looks like you pick a cab from the queue at the port and ask for the day for around 500 AED. Would appreciate any input you may have. Thanks, Barbara

That is your least expensive option booking a taxi driver for the day. We have arranged a private car for a half day because our TA had our U.A.E. Visa's included in the price with there agent...btw Canadians now get to shell out $250.00 USD per person!...ouch...wish I had the same inexpensive option as you have Skeezics.

You mentioned the U.A.E. visa. I was informed we would get it at the airport when we arrived. Correct? How much will it cost?

Can the taxi we use for our sightseeing be paid with a credit card?

In the past you USA citizens would obtain their visa at port of entry including the airport. That was the way it was on our last visit in the spring of 2010. I went to the UAE web site and it implies a visa is no longer needed for USA citizens. Here is a link to their web site. To be sure just call the UAE Consulate in WDC during a weekday and their number is on the web site.

http://www.uae-embassy.org/travel-culture/visas-passports

Fee had been relatively small.

Keith

I would go with a cab. We've done this there and in many other countries in the Middle East. Negotiate a price up front. Be clear where you want to go and for how long and pay at the end.

Keith

In the past you USA citizens would obtain their visa at port of entry including the airport. That was the way it was on our last visit in the spring of 2010. I went to the UAE web site and it implies a visa is no longer needed for USA citizens. Here is a link to their web site. To be sure just call the UAE Consulate in WDC during a weekday and their number is on the web site.

http://www.uae-embassy.org/travel-culture/visas-passports

Fee had been relatively small.

Keith

This use to apply to Canadians as well until January 2010. Now we must apply for a Visa at a cost of $250.00 per person....makes for an expensive day in Dubai even before you get off the ship!:rolleyes:

Seaborn911 sorry to hear about it.

I'm glad that we get a break on "something" for a change.

Keith

It's very frustrating having to pay $500.00 for one day (12 hours while in port) and on top of that the price of excursions/private car hire. U.A.E. will not even allow people to stay on the ship if you didn't want to purchase the Visa and elected not to go ashore. We were told by Seabourn that if we arrive in Athens on Dec 2nd withnout it we would be denied boarding.:mad:

We have been to Dubai countless times so staying on the ship would have been OK for us for that day.

Yes, when visas are required I know of very few places where you can get on the ship without them. You usually are required to have them with few exceptions.

I wonder why they do this. Maybe because Canada does the same to them but I have no idea.

Keith

Yes, when visas are required I know of very few places where you can get on the ship without them. You usually are required to have them with few exceptions.

I wonder why they do this. Maybe because Canada does the same to them but I have no idea.

Keith

The reason is political!

Canada did not want to grant further landing rights to Emirates and Ethiad in Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver therefore creating a political firestrom which then got escalated by the U.A.E. retaliating by not renewing our military base in Dubai. The pat has been going on ever since Janaury of 2010.

Getting back to the original thread - Barbara, if you don't want to take local cabs or the metro, then I would suggest checking out this outfit

[email=http://www.desertadventures.com/]http://www.desertadventures.com/[/email]

Have found them to be professional and reliable and (relatively) reasonably priced. Although they do 'off-the-peg' tours they will organize your own car and (english speaking) driver and custom itinerary.

In regard to the visa issue, the only visa that Seabourn stated we needed for the 32 Spice Route, was the Indian Visa. In fact, they wanted the visa number and length before issuing the final docs. (US Citizen). All others would be issue on ship, as they did with our Vietnam cruise. Thanks for the responses to my question...will check out the link...sometimes price is not the issue; if you think you might never be in a specific area again.....of course thought that about Buenos Aires and have been back three times.

In regard to the visa issue, the only visa that Seabourn stated we needed for the 32 Spice Route, was the Indian Visa. In fact, they wanted the visa number and length before issuing the final docs. (US Citizen). All others would be issue on ship, as they did with our Vietnam cruise. Thanks for the responses to my question...will check out the link...sometimes price is not the issue; if you think you might never be in a specific area again.....of course thought that about Buenos Aires and have been back three times.

If you are already on the ship there was not a need to get a visa even if they were needed for Dubai. When I last sailed Dubai our cruise line like the others obtained them on the ship and that was in 2010.

The question on the visas came from Elvera who is arriving there by plane not ship. One from the USA used to need to just get a tourist visa on arrival and that according to the UAE web site may not be required.

Yes, for india you must get the visa on your own.

Follow the directions carefully as they ask for a lot more back up information then they used to. I'm going this by memory but think they want copies of drivers licenses and I think for married women copies of marriage license or something along those lines but what ever they require it will be clearly noted on the application. I recommend using the visa service but each person can figure out what works best for them.

Keith

Barbara; I have a house in Buenos Aires....fell in love with Argentina over 11 years ago when I went there which coincided with the "crisis" errupting on the sameday that I landed. You are correct about price; I guess the only comforting thought will be getting off the ship in Dubai for the full day since we will all be at sea for (4) consecutive days there after until we reach Oman. I sure by that point we will all have cabin fever!;)

If you are already on the ship there was not a need to get a visa even if they were needed for Dubai. When I last sailed Dubai our cruise line like the others obtained them on the ship and that was in 2010.

The question on the visas came from Elvera who is arriving there by plane not ship. One from the USA used to need to just get a tourist visa on arrival and that according to the UAE web site may not be required.

Yes, for india you must get the visa on your own.

Follow the directions carefully as they ask for a lot more back up information then they used to. I'm going this by memory but think they want copies of drivers licenses and I think for married women copies of marriage license or something along those lines but what ever they require it will be clearly noted on the application. I recommend using the visa service but each person can figure out what works best for them.

Keith

Keith you are correct about the India Visa process now much more anoying with all information they are asking for etc. Beforehand you could actually go and apply sameday at the Embassy/Consulate and receive the Visa in late afternoon sameday...now no more.:( We have yet to get our Visas for India as my partner is travelling to the US next week. We will be applying for them on Monday Nov 14th thru VSF services which is the new India processing company that processes the Visas on behalf of the Embassy/Consulate.

Yes, have it marked on my calendar to book on November 20. Already have the Indian Visa. Very easy...no marriage license needed. Took exactly one week. Got a multiple entry. Plan to go back and do the "Golden Triangle" and pick up a cruise that starts in Mumbai and either heads to Singapore or down into Indonesia...so we are set.

I have just returned from Dubai after spending a week there. No visa is needed for American citizens. Cabs are very inexpensive and plentiful. You really don't need a guide to see anything. Dubai is really about the architecture (like the Burq Kalifa and the Burq Al Arab and of course the ski slope at the Mall of the Emirates.) There is really no history -per se. Make a plan of what you want to see and just hop cabs or even take the metro. It is actually the fastest method of transport and very straightforward. With that said 500 AED for the day is not a lot of money if you do want to hire a car.

If anyone has any further questions about Dubai, don't hesitate to ask.

I would and have a scarf as a head cover. I think it's respectful. The 13th is Friday so it is a busy day at the mosque. Will need to check to see if it is open to visitors. I have been in two mosques in other countries, but in Dubai I had a car and driver and since it was Ramadan, he went into pray and I just sat in the car, watching the life of the congregations, washing, leaving their shoes and it was such a peaceful time. A real treat.

I would and have a scarf as a head cover. I think it's respectful. The 13th is Friday so it is a busy day at the mosque. Will need to check to see if it is open to visitors. I have been in two mosques in other countries, but in Dubai I had a car and driver and since it was Ramadan, he went into pray and I just sat in the car, watching the life of the congregations, washing, leaving their shoes and it was such a peaceful time. A real treat.

Usually Mosques are not open to visitors on Friday's such as in Abudhabi and in Dubai.

DH and I will be in Dubai on April 13th and would like to visit a mosque. Should I wear a long skirt and long sleeves?

I was in Dubai about a year or so ago. At that time there was one Mosque that was open to non Muslims one morning of the week . I think it was Thursdays at 10am (not positive on the day). Women had to wear long skirt, sleeves, head covering. Men had to wear long pants. If you arrived dressed inappropriately they had garments for you to put on over your clothes.

It was sort of a cultural outreach program - they gave a little introductory talk about Islam and had a time for Q&A. It lasted about an hour I think.

I don't remember the name of the mosque, but if you go to some of the Dubai tourist websites you will be able to get the info on it.

From the Dubai Consulate website:

Visa Requirements for US Citizens (Tourist Passport) to visit the UAE

No visas are required for American citizens ( Holder of regular passports ) before arrival in the UAE and that includes US Citizens with visas or entry stamps from other countries in their passports but you need to be sure that you have the following:

Original passport signed by the bearer, should not expire within six (6) months from the expected time of arrival in the UAE.

Confirmed round-trip airline ticket or airline ticket to other destinations

Visas are available upon arrival at the airport and they are valid for one (1) month stay in the UAE. If you plan to stay longer, you can request more time from the immigration officer at the airport or contact the local immigration office in the UAE and request an extension.

Also, I never saw a taxi with the the option to use a credit card.

Archived