Canadians.....We're getting ripped off!!!

dmk

In March, I returned from a cruise. My shipboard bill indicated that 1USD = 1.28CAD. My credit card company was giving 1USD = 1.24CAD.

I went to look at booking another cruise today. Celebrity site was charging 1180USD or 1509CAD. When I check todays rates, that should have been 1437CAD. Now I know rates fluctuate and Celebrity has to fix their rates somewhere. However, they have been consistently charging Canadians booking in CAD more for the past year.

Do you book in USD or CAD? Should I think about booking in USD from now on?

Dmk - It's Time You Got With The Program . Go To Any Canadian Bank And Open A U.s. Dollar Checking Account & Get A U.s. Dollar Credit Card. I Learned Long Time Ago , Always Order Cruises , U.s. Hotels Etc By Paying U.s $ . This Way , You Never Have To Worry About The Fluctuations And You Will Save Alot Of Money.

Rcl & Celebrity Are Not Ripping You Off , They Are Just Hedging Their Bets On The Down Side Of Any Negative Dollar Fluctuation . I Would Do Exactly The Same Thing .

They Are Just Hedging Their Bets On The Down Side Of Any Negative Dollar Fluctuation . I Would Do Exactly The Same Thing .

They have been hedging their bets for the last year.

Is it free to open a chequing account in USD? Do you pay any charges on a credit card that deals in USD?

For The Past Few Years Clebrity Has Been Ripping Canadians Off At The Rate Of $1.40 Or Better On The Exchange Rate. Our Credit Card Charged Us Around $1.25 When Celebrity Was $1.44.

Book Through A Reputable Us Internet Company, Use Your Credit Card For The Payment, You Usually Get A Better Rate Plus You Save The 7%gst. I Have Booked 4 Cruises Over The Past 3 Years With No Trouble.saved About $1000 Not Having To Pay Mulroney's Tax

and yet....I ordered some X bon voyage gifts yesterday. They charged and converted the cost to my cc, and the CAD exchange was very favourable. The gifts were $36US, and they charged my cc $45CAD. I thought that was good!

Of course that makes up for the Skagway excursion on the train. The train charges $89US, X charges $99. The converted rate on my cc was $129. That is high! But really, what can I do?

I have a US friend who bids on Priceline to get me good rates on hotels, in Canada and the US. That saves me money. I send her the money and buy her a drink and we're all happy.

You just try to win more often than you lose!

In the ringed binder you receive from Celebrity before the cruise there is the page you fill out with your credit card info for onboard purchases. They take that page when you checkin at embarkation. ON THAT PAGE is a check box where you indicate you wish to have your Credit Card company convert the funds from $US to your home currency.

Allways check that box then you will receive your cards best rate rather than Celebrity's conversion.

Our TA hightlights that box when she sends us the ringed binder.

As for pre-cruise purchases unless you can use a TA or some service that bills only in $US you are at their (Celebity's) mercy.

JE

ladysail2

At yesterday's exchange rate, $36USD should have been $43CAD. You paid an extra $6CAD (in exchange fees?)

nhoj

I checked off that box on my last cruise and Celebrity erred and made the conversion themselves. I had to call up and go through 5 people before someone understood what I was talking about. Next time I will hi lite the whole statement. Thanks for the idea.

Dmk,

Ladysail got $45 CDN for USD$36...that is 1.25.

usually credit card company do charge 2 to 3 % foreign charges...and they based the exchange rate on the day that they process the charge.

I always book in US$, Canadian agents has to options of either charging US$ or CDN$ when they booking X or RCCL products.

Some Canadian Banks like TD or CIBC do have US$ VISA card. CIBC US$ Visa do have an annual fee of US$35 and TD Vis with USD$25.

I have quite happy when using my existing credit cards which I earn points on...and I found their exchange rate compatible and save me trouble to maintain a US$ account.

However, there are 2 cruises especially the one I did last cruise on Brilliance, the rate for the same cabin is cheaper in CDN$ was cheaper than US$....So I always check both rate in both currencies to make sure I have the best deal!

Hope that help!

I don't know if I am allowed to say the company that I book our cruised through but they are always a bit cheaper than any others I have tried including the big internet companies. They quote me in Canadian and US. So far it has been much better to get their Canadian rate because they buy US funds in bulk and pass the savings on. They are a company out of Vancouver but sell in the US as well as Canada.

I always book in CDN funds. When it comes to paying for the ship board purchases, our TA pointed out that section in the ringed booklet about having your credit card company make the conversion - otherwise you are charged a higher conversion rate.

I've noticed the problem for a couple years now, and always book in US funds. (I always compare, but US is always a better deal - when the exchange was a $1.30, some cruise lines were charging $1.44)... onboard we pay with a credit card and our credit card does the conversion quite reasonably.

Ever since the dollar has been fluctuating so dramatically I have been booking in US funds. I use a local Toronto agent and book all my cruises on board the ship so I get the onboard credit as well.

Archived