Adventure of the Seas

Hi KK

Just got off the Adventure last Wednesday after a 4 nighter from Malaga. The ship is showing its age now but still I am not complaining! It is still really nice.

There was fantastic value last summer too but on the Voyager. I think prices are coming down all round.

Any quetions - I will be happy to answer

Adventure is an older ship and as such you can get better fares than say on Independence which is newer. I sailed on Adventure in April this year and thought she was in great shape. I wouldn't hesitate to book the cruise on Adventure. I booked two future cruises for 2015 and I'm hoping to do a B2B on Adventure at that time in the Southern Caribbean (if she's set to sail there again).

Jump on it Joe! Like Irish Cailín, I'm just off Adventure too, nothing wrong with the ship, and Malaga was a lovely departure port IMO. I'll be posting a review with pics soon, once I sort out a Flickr account and figure out how to post them!

I hope the honeymoon went well, I presume it did, I see you've caught the bug!!

Donal. (donalkav at eircom dot net)

I have noticed that when you are checking the prices and you go to the Summary page to check the total price the service charge(gratuies) are no longer quoted.

I dont know if this is just the UK site or they have stopped adding them at this stage, to be added later in the booking process.

May is still an early time to get the discounts. Once you hit June and the kids are out of school the prices go up. The weather is great in May. I went in May in 05 and then did 3 cities in Italy in 08. Weather was warm in the sun and cool in the shade. So nice for sightseeing.

I have noticed that when you are checking the prices and you go to the Summary page to check the total price the service charge(gratuies) are no longer quoted.

I dont know if this is just the UK site or they have stopped adding them at this stage, to be added later in the booking process.

I've noticed that too - I'm at that "just off the last cruise, so seeing hat's out there for next year" stage. If you want to get a price with grats included, go to the next page and select "My Time Dining", that'll add them.

The more annoying thing at present is the website won't allow me to "browse shore excursions by port of call", the link just goes straight to a "Destinations Guide" with no information or detail at all.

Hi KK

Just got off the Adventure last Wednesday after a 4 nighter from Malaga. The ship is showing its age now but still I am not complaining! It is still really nice.

There was fantastic value last summer too but on the Voyager. I think prices are coming down all round.

Thanks for that - this may seem like a stupid question but as the cruise sails out of Spain but is it an English speaking cruise and what is the nationality mix like on the ship. I have seen some reviews that say the cruises out so Spain are full of Spanish and that they are of the noisy variety. Any comments on this.

TA

Jump on it Joe! Like Irish Cailín, I'm just off Adventure too, nothing wrong with the ship, and Malaga was a lovely departure port IMO. I'll be posting a review with pics soon, once I sort out a Flickr account and figure out how to post them!

I hope the honeymoon went well, I presume it did, I see you've caught the bug!!

Donal. (donalkav at eircom dot net)

Good man Donal. We both had a great time on FOS - amazing ship. The honeymoon was really great and will not be forgotten any time soon.

How would you compare med to Caribbean cruises seeing you have been on both.

Hi KK

thanks for that - tell me how was voyager - am i right in saying she is different class of ship

Thanks for that - this may seem like a stupid question but as the cruise sails out of Spain but is it an English speaking cruise and what is the nationality mix like on the ship. I have seen some reviews that say the cruises out so Spain are full of Spanish and that they are of the noisy variety. Any comments on this.

TA

We've sailed out of Malaga on Adventure once, and multiple times on Brilliance, Splendour and Voyager out of Barcelona and found the passenger demographics, therefore the atmosphere, very different on Adventure. There were very few Americans, and by far the largest nationality was Spanish, many of whom were in large family groups. Dinner was later at 9.30pm to cater for the later dining preferred by Spaniards. The Windjammer was crowded and noisy due to their habit of pushing multiple tables together and spending a l-o-n-g time together over lunch. It's the only time I've heard announcement made over the tannoy asking people to vacate the tables after eating to allow others to sit down. My mother, who was then around 81, was even pushed out of the way as she was about to sit down at one of the few vacant tables. The cruise director said everything in English then Spanish, and general announcement were made in multiple languages following the initial English one. It was our least favourite cruise ( still very good), but having said that, if the itinerary and price was right, we wouldn't discount sailing from Malaga again as it's so convenient for flights and the city and beach are lovely

Med Vs Caribbean is an interesting one. I found the Caribbean more relaxing, and in retrospect, spent too much time running around like a blue arsed fly in Rome trying to do everything. They're two very different vibes, but in our case, Med was first cruise, Caribbean was second , and we were a lot wiser.

Re - The Spanish question, there was a high concentration of Spanish on our cruise last week , but I never found it a problem. They can be a bit loud, but I couldn't say I experienced a lot of rudeness. The dual cruise director / everything translated thing isn't a problem IMO. Where it can fall down is in the quality of entertainment. Far better range on Freedom, particularly in terms of comedy.

The ship is similar to Freedom, but a little smaller. No cantilevered whirlpool, no flowrider and no boxing ring. Apart from that, you'll be hard pressed to tell the difference...oh, no Sorrentos Pizza, it's part of the Cafe Promenade. I think there 's cupcakes and stuff on Freedom now that wasn't there when we were on.

I'd still say if the deal is good, the ports suit and the time is right, go for it!

Med Vs Caribbean is an interesting one. I found the Caribbean more relaxing, and in retrospect, spent too much time running around like a blue arsed fly in Rome trying to do everything. They're two very different vibes, but in our case, Med was first cruise, Caribbean was second , and we were a lot wiser.

Re - The Spanish question, there was a high concentration of Spanish on our cruise last week , but I never found it a problem. They can be a bit loud, but I couldn't say I experienced a lot of rudeness. The dual cruise director / everything translated thing isn't a problem IMO. Where it can fall down is in the quality of entertainment. Far better range on Freedom, particularly in terms of comedy.

The ship is similar to Freedom, but a little smaller. No cantilevered whirlpool, no flowrider and no boxing ring. Apart from that, you'll be hard pressed to tell the difference...oh, no Sorrentos Pizza, it's part of the Cafe Promenade. I think there 's cupcakes and stuff on Freedom now that wasn't there when we were on.

I'd still say if the deal is good, the ports suit and the time is right, go for it!

Thats great - we generally keep ourselves to ourselves so I think it will work for us. Out of interest where do you find the best value for booking cruises etc

I booked mine with a US travel agent..... same price in $$ than it was in €€ here. However you have to check if they will allow you to book with a non US address.

Again - book the flights asap as the prices go up the later you leave it.

I got my 4 nighter in a promenade room for €450pp - cruise and flights. Booked 5 months in advance.

We've sailed out of Malaga on Adventure once, and multiple times on Brilliance, Splendour and Voyager out of Barcelona and found the passenger demographics, therefore the atmosphere, very different on Adventure. There were very few Americans, and by far the largest nationality was Spanish, many of whom were in large family groups. Dinner was later at 9.30pm to cater for the later dining preferred by Spaniards. The Windjammer was crowded and noisy due to their habit of pushing multiple tables together and spending a l-o-n-g time together over lunch. It's the only time I've heard announcement made over the tannoy asking people to vacate the tables after eating to allow others to sit down. My mother, who was then around 81, was even pushed out of the way as she was about to sit down at one of the few vacant tables. The cruise director said everything in English then Spanish, and general announcement were made in multiple languages following the initial English one. It was our least favourite cruise ( still very good), but having said that, if the itinerary and price was right, we wouldn't discount sailing from Malaga again as it's so convenient for flights and the city and beach are lovely

I'm I the only one that finds it funny that no matter where the ship departs, the AOS passangers get the same complains?? During the summer people complain about the Spanish and during the winter, people complain about the Puerto Ricans. Same complains, "they travel with large groups of family", the announcements are made in spanish and english", "they are loud", "they like to party too much", etc. etc. From now on, I'm going to blame our spanish heritage from all our "faults"!!!

We will celebrate NYE 2012-13 on the AOS, the deal was too good. An OS for $8,000; same week and same cabin on the IOS, $16,000 and same week and same cabin on the Allure, $18000. :D:D

Archived