Evening attire in Mexico on the Mariner

lizf

DH and I have been loyal NCL cruisers and love freestyle and country club casual, jeans during the day.

How formal are the Mexico cruises, i.e., December?

I wear nice knits that most people have commented look good enough for formal night, but DH hates suits and jackets, but we are dying to try RSSC. How formal must he be? I've been searching all afternoon and couldn't find it. Thanks for your time. Liz

Gee, I hope I didn't sound too stuffy or something. I was just asking about Mexico daytime wear in December on the Mariner, I think the Alaska query should fit for this too. Maybe no one has done this cruise. :) Have a nice day and disregard this thread please. Liz

Sorry but I was asking about two different things. :eek: Excuse me. It was daytime wear I asked about and then put in an evening attire question. :confused: I don't think anyone understood. No wonder. Liz

Liz:

Now I'm confused! Do you have a question about evening attire? If so, just post "yes" and I'm sure many of us will answer. If your question is about daytime attire, the anwers can be found in the thread about daytime attire in Alaska.

Thanks,

Richard:) :) :)

NTrader.

RSSC ships are really no different than others. During the day very casual is custom. Shorts, swimwear, jeans, t-shirts, etc.

After 6:00 p.m. most nights are country club casual. For men polo, or regular style shirts with docker style or dress slacks.

Ladies usually wear dressy pant suits, or sun dresses etc.

Formal nights. Ladies may wear fancier sun dresses and some will wear formals.

Most men usually wear a dark suit and tie. Some do wear a tux, but only because it is their choice.

Depending on the cruise. Sometimes there will be a semi formal or slightly dressier night than C.C. C. On those nights ladies usually wear the same dressy sun dresses or pant suits and men will wear the same casual polo shirts and put a sports coat or blazer on. NO TIE.

Does this help?

You guys are too kind. I tried to delete this because it sounded so stupid. I mixed two thoughts up and I really felt dumb about it! Please forget it but thank you.

We're considering instead to do the Paul Gauguin in Tahiti in December, so we'd be wearing shorts and country club casual. :)

ntrader:

Well, if it is any help, and unless something changes radically about the PG cruise, it is (IMO) far superior to a Mexico itinerary. If one wants a tropical cruise, the PG is the best in the world -- period!

Thanks,

Richard- That's what we thought. We wanted to get out of the cold here and go where it is nice and warm. Where better? Plus we'd get to sail on the wonderful PG before it leaves RSSC. In defense of GCT, we saw some groups of their's at luxury lodges on our recent trip to Africa and the folks were all quite happy with them and they seemed to take frequent trips with GCT. FWIW. Liz

Oops, new name. I had requested to change my name as Ntrader was one I used to use when I posted on Raging Bull, a stock discussion group, quite a few years ago.

When I saw that on cruises the CC members form a close group and meet each other, I didn't want to be known as Ntrader. I am a lady and a senior now. So I emailed to see if I could change my name to LizF my real name and initial. I guess they just changed it for me and I have become lizf. To clarify those that have addressed me here as Ntrader.

lizf:

I note that all Mariner cruises of Mexico in December are on Mexico's west coast. If you are going for a "beach cruise" you wil find the water rough and murky there, the beaches rocky, the snorkeling worthless, and (IMO) the water cold. In contrast on the PG French Polynesian itineraries you will find the water calm and clear, the beaches beautiful, the snorkeling world class, and the water at bath water temperatures. I think we've been to just about all "beach cruise" destinations in the world, except Austrailia and the Orient. Our No. 1 favorite is French Polynesia. Our least favorite is western Mexico.

Jim B:

Thanks! We enjoyed meeting you and your wife and friends as well. Let's do it again sometime!

Thanks,

Richard has some very good points.

If it wasn't for the very large group we were with the Western Mexico Riviera cruise would not have been as interesting. (Canopy tour was fantastic). We did not do any excursions that had water involved where as in Tahiti and FP just about everything we did (other than 4x4 trip in Bora Bora), involved water.

It is amazing over there. The water is perfectly clear, and water tempature is about 90 degrees. You hardly know the difference when you walk into the water from the shore. really neat. Snorkling is fun but really not very good in FP. Don't see a lot of fish. To shallow, but you do it anyway.

My opionion but the Caribbean is really the best place for that.

We can't wait and hope that we have an opprotunity to be able to go back and vist the islands again. We would do it on a cruise instead of land base again. Just to expensive otherwise.

Jim B:

Next time, I either need to take you snorkeling in FP, or you need to take me snorkeling in the Caribbean. In FP, we took the Shark and Ray Feeding and Lagoon Snorkeling excursions offered on the ship, and found the snorkeling to be fantastic. Shallow it was. But we saw a great deal of marine life among the coral formations. Snorkeling from the motus (private beaches) was lackluster -- though still better than any other cruise line "private beaches" we've seen.

In the Caribbean, we found excelent deeper water snorkeling in Caraco around wrecks of ships and boats, as far as fish were concerned. But these sites lacked the coral formations of FP, which are also interesting. And that's the best we've found there.

Hey, this is a good reason for us to go on the PG together again! We are booked on the two week Sept 17 cruise that includes the Cook Islands. Come along!

Thanks,

You are probably right Richard.

We will just have to go back and expand our snorkling. in FP

I admit my snorkling time is very limited, but the best place we found was

St John's Trunk Bay. Western Mexico was not very good.

Okay, that's it, Mexico is out, PG is in for 12/17 11 day. THEN I found the Aukland-LA 18 day trip, 2 for 1 deal on the Mariner. Lots of debate and we decided we'd better do the PG first while we still can be sure its good. But, that Aukland-LA is a killer deal! Liz

We looked at the Aukland cruise too but switched to Voyager 12/27/05 Panama Canal cruise.

I agree that it was a wonderful price. But airfare is a killer unless you could use up some FFmiles. That is why we switched.

I am sure the price has something to do with so many sea days but they usually have something planned on board to keep you busy if that is what you want to do.

I think you have made the right choice on going on the PG. for your first visit to Tahiti

03/22/80 Commodore MS Caribe = Eastern Caribbean

02/15/03 Radisson Paul Gauguin = Tahiti

02/22/04 Norwegian Dream (ick) = Western Caribbean

11/12/04 Radisson Mariner = Mexican Riviera

02/15/05 Radisson Diamond = Southern Caribbean

12/27/05 Radisson Voyager = Fll to LAX Panama Canal

They actually do have something special for those days, a Cordon-Bleu Cooking Session and a spotlight on movies. We love sea days, I love cooking and DH loves movies. The airfare is the same as it is for the trip in December. But it is a really long flight to Aukland, and we do hate that. It still was a hard decision as they are not offering it next year. :( Liz

Archived