Cat. B on Windstar?

bzv143

Thinking of taking a Windspirit cruise soon and will do a Cat. B guarantee. We've never been so low in a ship. Forgive the question, but in rough seas, do the fishies swim by the window? :D

How close do the waves get? Will we be awake with our life preservers on?

Last year we cruised on Wind Spirit in Cat. B. We enjoyed it so much we will again cruise in Cat. B this year.

You are close to the waterline. In looking out our porthole, I estimated that the water level was probably at my knees. We actually found the slight sway you felt a night to be very comforting. If you were in very rough waters, you probably would have waves splashing on the porthole (I've heard people describe it as looking at a front-loading washing machine).

The one night that there was some large wave action I commented to my husband about how little movement I was feeling compared to larger cruise ships. He mentioned that the closer you are to the water line, the less sway you will experience - think about how "crack the whip" works. Same principle!

The stabilizers do seem to work great.

I have been in a Cat. B on the Surf. One thing that's a bit strange there is there are waterproof doors that close when the ship enters or leaves a port. It gave me pause on my first muster drill where I didn't expect it and had trouble finding the right stairway to get to my cabin, as the first stairway I used had the corridors blocked by the doors about 30 feet away in both directions. Once I found the proper path it was no problem, and of course it's no problem getting out of your cabin. I don't know if the smaller ships are that way or not.

On my transatlantic I experienced the washing machine effect quite a few times. Just a quick splash against the window. No problem but a bit startling at first. The ride was very smooth.

Roy

Having recently completed a cruise in beyond rough weather (bad enough that the people getting on our ship as well as another ship at the same port the day we got off never left port the first night, and a ship that did regretted it) I am praying that I've paid my "rough seas" dues and have smooth sailing the next time around...

Thinking of taking a Windspirit cruise soon and will do a Cat. B guarantee. We've never been so low in a ship. Forgive the question, but in rough seas, do the fishies swim by the window? :D

How close do the waves get? Will we be awake with our life preservers on?

On Wind Surf the CatB portholes get washed from time to time :) I've never seen fish but not for the lack of trying. I have seen other wildlife though and it is one of the loveliest holiday recollections I have.

Both photos were taken in CatB cabins, possibly not on the same trip.

Mands

PortholeWater-1.jpg

DSCF0099_2.jpg

Archived