Beach Bars and local Restaurants aroudnd the Island

mrsfuzzmo

For our next cruise stop to St. Thomas, we will probably just want to tour the island by way of beach bars, local restaurants and food huts. Can anyone tell me if they know of any "off the beaten path" type little food joints where we can meet some locals, eat some food, have a few cocktails? We want to get out of Charlotte Amalie and find some out the way local places. Anyone run into any that we should try?

Although I've not been there yet - you might like this place! It's on my wish list of beach bars! :)

http://www.hullbayhideaway.com/

Last visit, we went to Iggie's Beach Bar at Bolongo Bay. It was a very cloudy day, though, so not much was happening. The bartender DID make awesome Painkillers, though! :D

Unfortunately the time to enjoy these places is later in the day or evening rather than during the day when cruise ship passengers are being raced around the island in search of the same destination as you. Having said that I can tell you our favorite spots to have drinks, but these aren't "off the beaten path" places although locals and regular visitors hit these too.

You can taxi to the East End to hit these places if you've got time to spend.

Taking Rts 30 & 32 you'll pass Bolongo Bay and Iggie's beach bar, a fun spot on the beach with great rum punches. 3 or 4 miles further NE you'll hit Red Hook, we like it there because there are a few good bars/restaurants close together there. A few overlook the marina, while one is smack dab in a shopping store parking lot. I don't know how many locals you'll find here during the day, but there will be folks from the nearby resorts having drinks as well as fellow cruise ship passengers that are visiting Sapphire perhaps. You have Island Time (great pizza and meatball parm sub and nachos with the works), Big Bambooz (fun spot right on the road also overlooking the marina), and a few other neat spots.

You'll get more off the beaten path ideas from others here, and there are some neat spots right in Charlotte Amalie. But I would end my day by taking the taxi to Paradise Point for a great view and a fun spot, and take the tram back down and it's a short walk to the Havensight pier or a taxi to Crown Bay.

Thanks Blue Heaven. That's what I was looking for. I'm happy to hear there is someplace at Bolongo Bay! I stayed at the condos there with my parents when I was about 13 and I'd love to go back there! It would be great to see again. Nice!! Sounds like lots of fun spots to go!

Archived