Carnival called

MissyMac13

And they wanted us to buy travel insurance. It would only be $65 per person ($195 total). In all the cruises we've taken, we've never had it. The person who called did tell us that we had a great room (Carnival Spirit 6232) and that we probably wouldn't get a call to upgrade.

We didn't buy the insurance.

I will never travel without insurance. If you need it one time out of 50, it will pay for itself.

I can attest to this! We (unfortunately) have had to use it, and am so grateful we had purchased it, worth every dime.

Though I will say that I wouldn't buy it thru Carnival. It's cheaper & typically better covereage buying independently. Online sites such as insuremytrip or tripinsurancestore are good resources.

I purchased it once I realized that our medical insurance won't pay if we were out of country.

At our age (now I'm sounding like my grandmother...lol) you just never know - I would rather know it's taken care of in a worst case.

I agree, buy it, but get it for a lot less at insure my trip dot com or other independent travel ins. company!

Our friends who were to cruise with us this Sunday to celebrate 25th wedding anniversary had to use it, when the husband..the day after his 50th birthday had a massive heart attack and passed away. The wife got a full refund. By the way Rick (the husband)was the epitome of perfect health and it was very unexpected and so very sad.

You just never know!

Thanks for the information on the alternate insurance sites. My husband is an insurance agent and was leaning towards purchasing insurance through Carnival, but knowing that we can purchase it independently is good.

I have used CSA and they were really good about paying off. I broke my ankle 12 days before cruise and they reimbursed all. Typically about $50pp for $2000 worth of insurance. (Cost of trip,much omore on medical and incedentals) A little more if you need higher coverage.

And they wanted us to buy travel insurance. It would only be $65 per person ($195 total). In all the cruises we've taken, we've never had it. The person who called did tell us that we had a great room (Carnival Spirit 6232) and that we probably wouldn't get a call to upgrade.

You can get it for both of you for less than half of Carnival's price from several travel insurance companies online.

We have always used Travel Insured International - and are always happy with them. Online application, online policies - print your own copies.

..Trin..

I would be rather suspicious of this phone call. You can only get insurance within so many days of a booking. Also the fact that they told you would likely not get a call for an upgrade - what does that have to do with a call about insurance?

I agree with the rest, especially if you are "flying" like we do to the ship ports.

I normally go through a TA, and depending upon the cost of the cruise/flight, that is what determins what the cost will be for me.

I will say it has come in "handy" more than one time. They lost our luggage (went on another ship for 4 1/2 days:mad:), and got it back to us a couple days before we were to get off ship.

Another time we were "stranded":mad: here in KC at the airport because of ice. We could not get out of line (4 hours waiting) as we had to wait in line to find out what other direction we could go through another airline. We did miss one day of our cruise also, but they flew us over for the next connection.

Another time they put us up over night at a nice hotel as the weather was bad, and had to take a morning flight.

Thanks for the information on the alternate insurance sites. My husband is an insurance agent and was leaning towards purchasing insurance through Carnival, but knowing that we can purchase it independently is good.

The one main reason we purchase it on our own, is that we only buy "primary" coverage policies, so you don't have to go thru your own insurance first and then the balance goes thru the travel insurance (a real hassle and paperwork nightmare). CCL only carries "secondary" coverage policies....your own insurance must first cover/deny and they pick up after it....could be a problem. So, just a tip in case you were not aware of the diffent kinds of travel policies out there.

I would be rather suspicious of this phone call. You can only get insurance within so many days of a booking. Also the fact that they told you would likely not get a call for an upgrade - what does that have to do with a call about insurance?

I didn't think about that, but now that you mention it, it does sound kind of fishy. We always buy through an independent, as well.

WOW!!! REALLY????

They're calling trying to sell cruise insurance???

We too always buy travel insurance, but never through Carnival because it's cheaper and better coverage from other sources. We use travelguard.

Not true.... you can buy insurance up until shortly before you sail and Carnival will gladly sell it to you!

For about 10% of your total cruise price (for everyone in your party), you can purchase "cancel for any reason," and "cancel due to work" insurance that also covers pre-existing medical conditions, flight/cruise delay, medical evacuations, etc.

The caveat is that you must purchase within a certain time period from your first cruise payment.

Insure my trip dot com is extremely user friendly and you can call them for further guidance and advice.

This is one of the things that Carnival makes a huge mistake on -- overcharging for a lessor insurance product. Why not provide comparable plans to the major travel insurance companies, with full benefits packages? They have a giant base of potential customers (and frankly, I don't care who's covering my trip as long as they're dependable and come through when a legitimate claim is made).

As it is, I've used Travel Guard, and I'm happy to say I don't know how well they handle a claim because I've enjoyed the good fortune not to need to make one. Their prices seem reasonable enough to me.

This is one of the things that Carnival makes a huge mistake on -- overcharging for a lessor insurance product. Why not provide comparable plans to the major travel insurance companies, with full benefits packages? They have a giant base of potential customers (and frankly, I don't care who's covering my trip as long as they're dependable and come through when a legitimate claim is made).

As it is, I've used Travel Guard, and I'm happy to say I don't know how well they handle a claim because I've enjoyed the good fortune not to need to make one. Their prices seem reasonable enough to me.

Like others replying here we also buy 3d party insurance, different companies depending on their quotes and coverage at the time. But Carnival's policy is better in one respect - no matter when you buy it, it includes a version of "cancel for any reason" coverage. In their case, if you cancel for a non-covered reason, they refund 75% of your trip cost in the form of a credit for a future cruise. None of the 3d party policies will allow you to add "cancel for any reason" more than 10-21 days after your initial cruise deposit (days depends on the company). All that I am aware of also limit the refund to 50% - 75% of the trip cost. And adding that coverage can be expensive even if allowed.

If you want that coverage and are past the cut-off date, Carnival is the only game in town.

We got this call as well about 2 weeks ago. We sail on Sunday!

We explained that we already had our own travel insurance, no need for Carnival's.

And then they tried to sell us transfers from the airport to the ship but we are flying in 2 days early so again, no need for the transfers.

I don't think they mentioned anything about upgrades or our room. It was strictly a sales call about insurance and transfers.

Archived