Port Canaveral question.

OhioCruiserDude

We'll be going on the Freedom in April ive cruised before but never out of Canaveral.

Q1: Were flying into Orlando Int. how far is it to the ship form the airport?

Q2: Is it cheaper to book our transfers through RCL or should we find our own?

Q3: How long does it take to get through security?

My main concern is having enough time to get on and eat explore before the muster drill. Our flight gets in at 10:20am btw

We'll be going on the Freedom in April ive cruised before but never out of Canaveral.

My main concern is having enough time to get on and eat explore before the muster drill. Our flight gets in at 10:20am btw

Once you get on the road, about an HR. Very Easy drive. The Beachline goes directly from the Airport to the Cruise port.

Just google Airport Tranfers for Orlando, there are a bunch of companies that do them. Going to the ships may be listed under Port Canaveral, Cape Canaveral, or even Cocoa Beach.

Never been on the Freedom out of PC, but have done the Mariner twice, and security is usually pretty good. You might have a little bit of a line when you arrive based upon your flight time, but there are two seperate lines so it moves. Just an FYI though, so you can plan accordingly, the majority of the line, if there is one, is OUTSIDE.....

I have never used transfers. 2 of us travel and use the shuttles from the airport for the 45 minute ride. You will get on the ship after a line, but not toobad, and have plenty of time for lunch berfore muster at 4PM

This is the go to for all the info you will need, shuttles, cars, etc.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1119114&page=44

This thread has some of the best info you could want about everything with real people posting opinions and questions and answers. Always check things out before we sail on the Freedom

It that doesn't work go to Florida Departures forum and click on thread "the new I work in Port Canaveral. Post 862 is a list of everything from shuttles to hotels to names of people etc. The rest of the thread is long but great

We love Port Canaveral. We also fly into Orlando and take the shuttle. I know that alot of people rent a car and drive but we just don't want to have to return it at PC and take the car rental shuttle over to the pier. Orlando is a very big airport and you take a tram to the main building

2011FamilyCruise032.jpg[/img]

to pick up your luggage. I would allow 20-30 min from the time your plane lands until you have your luggage in hand. We have used cocoa beach shuttle (cbshuttle.com) they are the least expensive and as good as any others. They will pick you up on the lower level We always go early (we fly in the day ahead and spend the night in cocoa beach) and have the shuttle pick us up at the hotel at 10:15 and we are in line by 10:45 usually on board by 11:00-11:15. Last month we had lunch, in our room at 1:00 and completely unpacked before muster and sailaway. You will love the FOS she is our favorite ship.Hope this helps. Happy Cruising.

One word of warning if you use Cocoa Beach Shuttle - they offer a discount to Cruise Critic members - you have to ask for it, but when you do make SURE it's documented and make SURE it's reflected on your receipt. DW and I are trying to get the amount of the discount refunded now after we noticed it hadn't been given to us despite our mention of it when we booked. They claim we made no mention of it. How (in)convenient!

I cruised out of Port Canaveral in August and booked an SUV (we had 5 people) at the airport and dropped it off a few miles past the port. The rental car company had free shuttle service to the port -- I tipped the driver a $5 spot. It was the cheapest way to get from the airport to the port.

However you decide to arrive at Port Canaveral, consider a hotel the night prior. It is just less traumatic to arrive the day before. With the Freedom leaving on Sun, that means you can fly in on Sat (for those of you unfortunate to still have to work - i.e. not retired).

We're also sailing Freedom in April and we're flying down day of as well. Have the first flight out in the morning so we'll arrive in MCO at about 9:15 AM.

I have 4 people so it's cheaper to rent a car. Plus I like the freedom of stopping at the drug store before dropping off the car and getting a couple of bottles of water for my mom (to take her pills) and maybe some ginger ale for the younger one. Also, I prefer not to have to wrap in plastic and fly with my suntan lotion, so I pick it up when we arrive.

Dropping off the car is easy, and they will shuttle you to the port. As long as you're on at around 1ish, you'll have plenty of time to eat, explore, drop off your carry on bags and make muster drill.

She's a beautiful ship; we've sailed her sister Liberty twice and we're looking forward to this cruise as well. Kids can't wait to hit the flowrider (younger one is now tall enough...maybe by the time we cruise, he'll be able to stand up surf too).

Definitely check out the Florida departures board and look at the "I work in Port Canaveral" post. Also, if you search rental cars, you'll get a thread with a ton of information and codes you can use for lower prices.

However you decide to arrive at Port Canaveral, consider a hotel the night prior. It is just less traumatic to arrive the day before. With the Freedom leaving on Sun, that means you can fly in on Sat (for those of you unfortunate to still have to work - i.e. not retired).

Normaly we would do that but we are getting married the day before. We are leaving almost right from the reception to the airport.

We're also sailing Freedom in April and we're flying down day of as well. Have the first flight out in the morning so we'll arrive in MCO at about 9:15 AM.

I have 4 people so it's cheaper to rent a car. Plus I like the freedom of stopping at the drug store before dropping off the car and getting a couple of bottles of water for my mom (to take her pills) and maybe some ginger ale for the younger one. Also, I prefer not to have to wrap in plastic and fly with my suntan lotion, so I pick it up when we arrive.

Dropping off the car is easy, and they will shuttle you to the port. As long as you're on at around 1ish, you'll have plenty of time to eat, explore, drop off your carry on bags and make muster drill.

She's a beautiful ship; we've sailed her sister Liberty twice and we're looking forward to this cruise as well. Kids can't wait to hit the flowrider (younger one is now tall enough...maybe by the time we cruise, he'll be able to stand up surf too

Definitely check out the Florida departures board and look at the "I work in Port Canaveral" post. Also, if you search rental cars, you'll get a thread with a ton of information and codes you can use for lower prices.

We are also on this cruise. Have you joined our meet and mingle yet?

Archived