QM2 - Grill Terrace

Pies4u

Seen & heard conflicting info re: the rather pleasant looking Grill Terrace on QM2. Having booked a Grill suite and favouring "quieter" areas awy from the pool(s), I would anticipate spending the odd hour or two on there. Without wanting to sound superior it would be annoying if the somewhat limited space was being occpied by those who had not paid for the privilege. (Apols if that appears pretentious/precious, it's motivated by a genuine desire for reasonableness & fair play really).

Enjoyed the luxurious terrace on QV, which was fairly well respected and restricted to Grill passengers from what i exprienced.

On QM2 it appears as tho' anyone can simply wander down from the upper deck - is there any control, other than a sign (presumably?).

Can anyone offer any informed opinion or experience please?

Thanks.

No there is no control at all, the anybodies can just wander down onto the area and wander down on the main deck, there is only a few chairs and a hot tub there though.

But do feel free to wander down and use the pool :) we promise not to stare back

Seen & heard conflicting info re: the rather pleasant looking Grill Terrace on QM2. Having booked a Grill suite and favouring "quieter" areas awy from the pool(s), I would anticipate spending the odd hour or two on there. Without wanting to sound superior it would be annoying if the somewhat limited space was being occpied by those who had not paid for the privilege. (Apols if that appears pretentious/precious, it's motivated by a genuine desire for reasonableness & fair play really).

Enjoyed the luxurious terrace on QV, which was fairly well respected and restricted to Grill passengers from what i exprienced.

On QM2 it appears as tho' anyone can simply wander down from the upper deck - is there any control, other than a sign (presumably?).

Can anyone offer any informed opinion or experience please?

Thanks.

We saw them checking room keys quite often & if you didn't have the "right" one you got the boot. A few years back they were ready to call security when a large group of French(about 10)wouldn't vacate. Generally found the french to flaunt the rules more than most. They definately didn't like using the handsanitizer. The Chinese(and my partner is)probably ignored the dresscode more than any other group. These were mainland Chinese. More westernized Chinese followed the dresscodes pretty well.

The last time we were on QM2 no one checked our keys when we were on the Grills Terrace, but it was never crowded and we found it to be a pleasant spot to read, and it had more shade than on the Grills Terrace on QV and QE. Having the hot tub is a good idea, I do wish they had one on the QE and QV.

That being said, I must confess that I do prefer to sit by the pool on deck 8:)

Many thanks - interesting stuff.

The lack of a pool or jacuzzi on the Grill Terrcae on QV is, just about, the only downside for the ship for me. We love the QV and expect great things of QM2!

The decks look so expansive and appear to have plenty of loungers/chairs available, even with 7 consecutive sea days I'm hoping not to be as overwhelmed by fellow guests as I was at the Bon Sol Hotel in Majorca this summer! Packed 'em in like sardines there, it was awful - for a luxury hotel, in my view.

Many thanks - interesting stuff.

The lack of a pool or jacuzzi on the Grill Terrcae on QV is, just about, the only downside for the ship for me. We love the QV and expect great things of QM2!

The decks look so expansive and appear to have plenty of loungers/chairs available, even with 7 consecutive sea days I'm hoping not to be as overwhelmed by fellow guests as I was at the Bon Sol Hotel in Majorca this summer! Packed 'em in like sardines there, it was awful - for a luxury hotel, in my view.

During both our times on QM2 in QG we found the terrace busy but not packed. Always able to get 2 sun beds together, etc. Towels are moved from beds if the staff feel leaving towels to 'keep' them is being abused. It's a lovely spot for sailaways.

On your other point, we've been to the Gran Sol in Majorca several times but either in March and just a few weeks ago in October and have not a bad word to say about it, BUT can understand how the hotel and the whole resort would be completely different when packed in high season (Hence why we go either end of the season).

• 2 months later...
does the grills terrace have its own bar or are drinks served there?

cheers

It does not have it's own bar, but there are often waiters hovering around who will take your drinks orders. They also have fruit and small sandwiches if the need to snack overtakes you, and a bottle of sunscreen too!

No one checked on the crossing earlier this month. Although I had a Britannia cabin on Deck 11, I sat outside for a bit to get some fresh air, chatting with one of the deck stewards. No questions asked.

On QE a week later, I had a QG cabin and, with the exception of the Southampton departure, I was never able to venture onto the Grills Terrace again because of the very high winds and motion of the ship. The winds, incidentally, blew over the fake boxwood plants and scattered the ballast stone all over the deck.

IMO, The Grills terrace on QE and QV is better thought out than on QM2. In fact the location of the QE/QV Grill restaurants are superior in terms of the great views of the sea they offer.

We've never had a problem with it being busy. If you ask for a drink, they will know.It's nice having a hot tub, we wish they had a pool on the Grills deck on QV & QE

I agree! Having a hot tub on the Grills Terrace on QV/QE would be perfection!:)

There is a difference between being "on" the Grills Terrace on QM2 - and passing "through" it :p It is an unfortunate fact that the Grills Terrace basically interrupts an external thoroughfare from the Promenade deck to upper outside decks (and vice versa :). )

I have every respect for those who have paid for and are therefore entitled to use the Grills Terrace - but I would become stroppy if I were not able to transit externally between upper and lower external decks because of the location of that Terrace. It wasn't a problem during our short 6 day cruise across the Tasman to NZ (which itself was a part of the 2011 QM2 World Cruise) and I didn't really observe anybody actually using the Terrace. Thankfully, these Grills Terraces are well out of the way on QV and QE.

Barry

There is a difference between being "on" the Grills Terrace on QM2 - and passing "through" it :p It is an unfortunate fact that the Grills Terrace basically interrupts an external thoroughfare from the Promenade deck to upper outside decks (and vice versa :). )

I have every respect for those who have paid for and are therefore entitled to use the Grills Terrace - but I would become stroppy if I were not able to transit externally between upper and lower external decks because of the location of that Terrace. It wasn't a problem during our short 6 day cruise across the Tasman to NZ (which itself was a part of the 2011 QM2 World Cruise) and I didn't really observe anybody actually using the Terrace. Thankfully, these Grills Terraces are well out of the way on QV and QE.

Barry

Hi Barry. I'm having trouble understanding how "Grills Terrace basically interrupts an external thoroughfare from the Promenade deck to upper outside decks (and vice versa)"

To the best of my knowledge, on QM2, the Grills Terrace is on Deck 11, while the Promenade Deck is Deck 7. I have no personal experience of the Grills but I've not found my walk around the Promenade Deck interrupted by a Grills Terrace. :confused: Am I missing something again?:eek:

S.

Hi Barry. I'm having trouble understanding how "Grills Terrace basically interrupts an external thoroughfare from the Promenade deck to upper outside decks (and vice versa)"

To the best of my knowledge, on QM2, the Grills Terrace is on Deck 11, while the Promenade Deck is Deck 7. I have no personal experience of the Grills but I've not found my walk around the Promenade Deck interrupted by a Grills Terrace. :confused: Am I missing something again?:eek:

Sorry if I was not ( or am still not) clear. :)

S.

Salacia

No - not an interruption of a walk around the Promenade deck itself - but the external staircase access between the lower external decks (I think it is Promenade) UP to the highest external deck. I can recall having to "illegally" enter through the small gates on the Grills Deck to be able to go either down or up externally.

Barry

Salacia

No - not an interruption of a walk around the Promenade deck itself - but the external staircase access between the lower external decks (I think it is Promenade) UP to the highest external deck. I can recall having to "illegally" enter through the small gates on the Grills Deck to be able to go either down or up externally.

Barry

Yes Barry, I have sat there on the port side by the stairs quite often and seen a lot of other people using this route. I cannot see why there could be any objection to this route being taken by people passing along.

Salacia

Barry

I believe the lowest external deck on QM2 deck is Deck 7 and the highest external deck is Deck 13. To the best of my knowledge, there is no external staircase open to passengers that connects Deck 7 with Deck 13, but I believe there is access that would available in the event of emergency.

Again, I'm sorry, but I don't understand your comment that " I would become stroppy if I were not able to transit externally between upper and lower external decks because of the location of that Terrace"...are you concerned about an emergency situation? -S.

I don't know how this happened, but there was a line added when quoted that I did not write. (See Post #16, compared to a quote in #17. )

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salacia

To the best of my knowledge, on QM2, the Grills Terrace is on Deck 11, while the Promenade Deck is Deck 7. I have no personal experience of the Grills but I've not found my walk around the Promenade Deck interrupted by a Grills Terrace. Am I missing something again?

Sorry if I was not ( or am still not) clear.

S.

I did not write the line in red type, and I don't enjoy having lines added, would you?

Salacia

Apologies. I edited my post to add that line after I posted it -- looks like I have inadvertently placed it in the incorrect place in my post.

There is an external access (two of them) down from the Grills Terrace - I am not sure about what you are calling emergency access??

Barry

I don't know how this happened, but there was a line added when quoted that I did not write. (See Post #16, compared to a quote in #17. )

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salacia

To the best of my knowledge, on QM2, the Grills Terrace is on Deck 11, while the Promenade Deck is Deck 7. I have no personal experience of the Grills but I've not found my walk around the Promenade Deck interrupted by a Grills Terrace. Am I missing something again?

Sorry if I was not ( or am still not) clear.

S.

I did not write the line in red type, and I don't enjoy having lines added, would you?

Hi Salacia,

I have sat on the port side of the Grills Terrace deck 11 and seen passengers transiting from rear Deck 10 to rear Deck 12 via rear Deck 11 using a small staircase which I can only assume is provided for that purpose.

Hi Salacia,

I have sat on the port side of the Grills Terrace deck 11 and seen passengers transiting from rear Deck 10 to rear Deck 12 via rear Deck 11 using a small staircase which I can only assume is provided for that purpose.

Hi Louise D. Yes, I understand that, but Buzzsaw wrote about transiting from the Promenade Deck (which I believe is Deck 7) and the upper outside deck (which I believe is Deck 13) not Deck 10 to Deck 12 as you mentioned. Please see his previous post for the exact quote of his complaint regarding the Grills Terrace if interested. Regards, S.

Hi Louise D. Yes, I understand that, but Buzzsaw wrote about transiting from the Promenade Deck (which I believe is Deck 7) and the upper outside deck (which I believe is Deck 13) not Deck 10 to Deck 12 as you mentioned. Please see his previous post for the exact quote of his complaint regarding the Grills Terrace if interested. Regards, S.

Thanks for clarifying that, Salacia.

I do not know if there is a continuous series of external stairways which allows a passenger to transit from rear deck 7 to rear deck 13. I have never had the need to do this. I must check it out later this month. L.

Louise

Yes - from deck 8 upwards - can't remember exactly whether you can get from rear of Promenade Deck deck 7 up to 8. I thought you could - but I will stand corrected if not. Either way, if you want to get from WAAAY up the top to WAAAY down below, as far as you can go externally, you have to go through the Grills Terrace. :)

Barry

Archived